4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Injen CAI

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 09:48 AM

Injen CAI

I just bought a injen CAI and after reading other threads about the best intakes, im starting to wonder if i might the right choice going with injen?

Did i make a bad buy purchasing the Injen CAI?
What are the disadvantages using the injen?
How much HP gain am i suppose to get with the Injen?

PLEASE HELP
Old 08-22-2003, 12:44 PM

Re: Injen CAI

I don't have an intake but I'm probably going to order a frankencar pretty soon. I think most people on here are going to tell you that they are all basically the same and you can't go wrong with any of them b/c they're all better than stock. Just go with what you like the looks of best.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've herd that is you are auto go with Injen since it has the most low end power
And if you are 5spd go with Frankercar for the best top end.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:09 PM
ivelweyz

Yeah, you lose some low-end with a hybrid. Injen is supposed to be good for low end power. But dude get one of ebay for like $50, it's not injen but they are all the SAME...

Old 08-22-2003, 01:40 PM

You do not lose low end on a hybrid intake. It's more reponsive than the stock box. Why do people keep saying there is low end loss with a hybrid? Why?
Old 08-22-2003, 06:10 PM

i have an injen and i love it. the sound, performance, and looks make it worth every cent. if you're a broke **** member go for the 50 dollar ones.
Old 08-22-2003, 08:45 PM
SXN

u dont have to drill with the injen right? that seems like a cool advantage
Old 08-22-2003, 08:59 PM

Which will give the best deepest sound, I have the frankencar but may upgrade to an injen or place racing.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:16 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

I am happy with my Injen intake, but although I don't like the location it sits on. It is right behind the Radiator, not the actual coin but the cold air pipe, and when ever auxiliary fan kicks in the Hot Air Gets sucked in. I could be wrong. But I think it is HAI not CAI........
Old 08-22-2003, 11:13 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by deezo
You do not lose low end on a hybrid intake. It's more reponsive than the stock box. Why do people keep saying there is low end loss with a hybrid? Why?
People say it because it's true. As soon as my hybrid was installed I felt a loss. The y-pipe didn't help for **** either. I'm gonna put the stock resonator back on instead of the pipe to see the difference as soon as my car id driveable...

Old 08-23-2003, 11:57 AM
SXN

wouldnt any thing be better than the stock intake? how did u lose power with a hybrid?
Old 08-23-2003, 12:12 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

just a heads up to people who are considering or have already bought an injen.....i'm roughly 9 months into owning my injen, and it looks like there's either a burn mark or rust mark on the piping. I haven't gotten a chance to fully check it out, but it looks like the piping is burnt, right on the bend, right behind the radiator......
Old 08-23-2003, 12:36 PM

I have a Frankencar intake with the Apexi filter and I have gained hp thru the entire power band. This whole "you loose low end" is a crock of chit! Go with Frankencar w/Apexi filter. Its hands down the best intake in IMOI. The only thing better than Frankecar is a V2 period. So get your mind and car right with a Frankencar!
Old 08-23-2003, 04:41 PM

i went with injen cai because i wanna show it off when i pop hood and because you know you get what you pay for allways
Old 08-23-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by ivelweyz

People say it because it's true. As soon as my hybrid was installed I felt a loss. The y-pipe didn't help for **** either. I'm gonna put the stock resonator back on instead of the pipe to see the difference as soon as my car id driveable...
That's BS. I felt no loss whatsoever and there is a ton of other people here that will tell you the same. The pop charger coupled with the stock resonator on the automatic gave a loss in low end power.

Chino: Preach!
Old 08-23-2003, 07:28 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Allow me to add my analysis.

I have a slight bias for the Injen because I loved it from the get-go, but then decided to do some tests.

I got a Bomz midpipe (you can get it on eBay for like $30 as a short-ram form with filter and all).. and tried out the short-ram setup for a while. I was amazed at how much better my take-offs were, and my slight increase in mileage.

But... top-end power was lacking because the Injen did in fact get cooler air than behind the battery. I had removed my splash guard so air was circulating better down by the Injen filter rather than behind the battery where the short-ram is located.

Lack of top-end make Mario unhappy dude. So... remember I have the Injen piping? I left the downpipe bolted to the car, and then bought $12 worth of supplies at Home Depot (3" pipes that have joints in them, and some aluminum sheets). I made a scoop on the bottom of the car (inspired by Street Reeper) and channeled the air-flow through the inken downpipe and aimed the end of the tubing to the area behind the battery for better air circulation.

Result: Barely noticeable gain, but more consistent than either Injen or short-ram.

I will re-post this on a separate thread with pictures once i get them out of my digicam.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:31 PM
ivelweyz

That's BS. I felt no loss whatsoever and there is a ton of other people here that will tell you the same. The pop charger coupled with the stock resonator on the automatic gave a loss in low end power.

Chino: Preach!
Well I lost power, many others did too otherwise there wouldn't be threads about them...

Old 08-23-2003, 11:40 PM
SXN

yea, thats what i said before...anything with more flow than stock will not make u LOSE power, u might not notice a difference, but its not going down.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:19 AM

Jes, I thought CAI would give you a better throttle response compare to stock. Is it? Are you experiencing the better response with the CAI?
Old 08-24-2003, 02:33 AM

Originally posted by max002
I made a scoop on the bottom of the car (inspired by Street Reeper) and channeled the air-flow through the inken downpipe and aimed the end of the tubing to the area behind the battery for better air circulation.
with this hood scoop, don't you suck in massive amounts of water and ish, or does it not make a difference?

I know there's a kit for mustangs where there's a scoop attached directly to below the bumper, and all the piping goes directly to the throttle body, no filter or anything. A buddy of mine had one, and couldn't understand why his car was running like **** everytime it rained. I said he was lucky he didn't hydrolock the engine......
Old 08-24-2003, 12:53 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Originally posted by fearthegecko

with this hood scoop, don't you suck in massive amounts of water and ish, or does it not make a difference?

I know there's a kit for mustangs where there's a scoop attached directly to below the bumper, and all the piping goes directly to the throttle body, no filter or anything. A buddy of mine had one, and couldn't understand why his car was running like **** everytime it rained. I said he was lucky he didn't hydrolock the engine......
This scoop is located under the car... there is about 4 feet of piping leading up to the area behind the battery and it is NOT directly connected to the intake so it can't suck in water... not enough pressure to make water travel that far in great amounts (maybe a few splashes). I'll try to get pics up soon so you can see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:22 PM

anxiously waiting.......
Old 08-24-2003, 03:15 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The intake resonator between the throttle body and MAF is a good thing. It's ugly and quiets the intake down a lot, but it serves a purpose. I've run without resonator for almost 3 years and then put it back on 6 weeks ago. I'm still driving with the resonator on there if that tells you anything. I also ran a 14.61@95mph in 100 degree heat, no track prep, and my 17s which is an ET/MPH I've never remotely come close to getting in such hot weather. I attribute my improved ET/MPH of nearly .5 and 3mph to my JWT/ECU and use of the resonator.

The midpipe of all these intakes makes the VQ sound wicked, but switch between the two and you'll see the resonator feels better. Too many people attribute sound as "madd power".

Dave
Old 08-24-2003, 04:08 PM
Ludicrous Speed

i shall try the stock resonator as one next step in my analysis.

Dave, where do you connect that sensor to? Do you have to drill into the stock resonator, insert the grommet, and then insert the sensor?
Old 08-24-2003, 06:10 PM
ivelweyz

What if you put the mid pipe and resonator in together? Get rid of the accordion section and replace it with a short rubber hose followed by the mid-pipe, another hose for the resonator, then another hose followed by the MAF and the filter...

Old 08-24-2003, 06:24 PM

I'm an auto with an injen and I'm very happy with it. There is no rice noise at low rpm's but when you floor it, the intake roars.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:53 PM

Which one on eBay is like the Injen intake? I'm broke
Old 08-24-2003, 08:00 PM

my injen was running awesome on this cool new england night
Old 08-24-2003, 11:17 PM
Ludicrous Speed

What if you put the mid pipe and resonator in together? Get rid of the accordion section and replace it with a short rubber hose followed by the mid-pipe, another hose for the resonator, then another hose followed by the MAF and the filter...
by hose you mean coupler?

hmm... i heard somewhere that the accordion section is designed that way for a reason and it might be beneficial.
Old 08-24-2003, 11:23 PM
ivelweyz

Turbulence? That's the only thing that I think of that the accordion could do...

Old 08-24-2003, 11:27 PM
Ludicrous Speed

true.. but it strikes me odd that the guys with the accordion get better 60' times at the track than guys with the midpipe. Maybe it all has to do with the resonator?
Old 08-25-2003, 06:24 AM

Well I lost power, many others did too otherwise there wouldn't be threads about them...
We have thread all over this board about what people feel to be true like "Sivlerstars being worse than Cool Blues" and "the lower you drop your car, the better."

Old 08-25-2003, 09:52 AM
ivelweyz

[QUOTE]Originally posted by max002
true.. but it strikes me odd that the guys with the accordion get better 60' times at the track than guys with the midpipe. Maybe it all has to do with the resonator? [/QUOTE

My intake is accordion > mid-pipe > MAF > filter and what I'll try to do is resonator > mid-pipe > MAF > Filter...

Old 08-25-2003, 08:01 PM
SXN

so are you guys saying its bad if i just ran an injen or just ran a franken car without the acordian and stuff?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:29 AM

here is my 2cents worth... just get watever makes you happy... in reality.. if you look all over this forum there are pros and cons to either style of intakes... its really comes down to what you want... how much you are willing to spend.. and how it looks under the hood... nothing else really matters....
Old 08-26-2003, 08:22 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

1) The accordian piece can't be that much of a problem seeing that even Ferrari uses the kind of pieces on their motors.

2) There is no point in running the midpipe AND the resonator. The primary function of either is to serve as a hook up for 3 vacuum lines.

3) The resonator does seem to have a purpose and links have been posted about the benefits of intake resonators. In a nut shell the resonator tunes the intake resonance at certain rpms to help the motor deliver consistent power thru the powerband. Whether it helps increase peak power is unknown. The midpipe may increase peak power by 1-2hp, but it could also make the VQ loose a lot more power throughout the power curve which is very detrimental to performance. The resonator may or may not improve lowend performance. I know my Maxima definately feels stronger at all rpms with the resonator in place and I've pulled some pretty decent times out of my Maxima with the resonator in place.

Something that I always noticed about the midpipe is how much louder (resonance) the intake was. With the MEVI, the lower you set your switchover, the louder it gets (resonance) on switchover. We now know that setting the MEVI at 5400rpms is pretty much ideal for performance and guess what? At a 5400rpm switchover, the change in intake noise is barely audible when the butterflys open. What I'm seeing is that if the intake resonance (noise) is lower, the performance goes up. The resonance you hear is the sound waves bouncing and reverberating through the intake. The higher switchover seems to reduce this noise. The same goes for the OEM intake resonator. The deep snortiness of the intake changes to a more linear sound. A resonator is there to reduce resonance which is ultimately bad for performance. The MEVI is a "tuned" resonance design. Just something to think about.

Dave
Old 08-27-2003, 07:08 PM
SXN

hmm...sounds like im gonna be running my resonator, i have some ideas for the junk stock piping though...i want to get cold air up to my intake somehow, hmmm
Old 08-27-2003, 07:26 PM

Old 08-27-2003, 07:29 PM
SXN

cuz they suck
Old 08-27-2003, 07:31 PM
ivelweyz

Originally posted by Dave B
1) The accordian piece can't be that much of a problem seeing that even Ferrari uses the kind of pieces on their motors.

2) There is no point in running the midpipe AND the resonator. The primary function of either is to serve as a hook up for 3 vacuum lines.

3) The resonator does seem to have a purpose and links have been posted about the benefits of intake resonators. In a nut shell the resonator tunes the intake resonance at certain rpms to help the motor deliver consistent power thru the powerband. Whether it helps increase peak power is unknown. The midpipe may increase peak power by 1-2hp, but it could also make the VQ loose a lot more power throughout the power curve which is very detrimental to performance. The resonator may or may not improve lowend performance. I know my Maxima definately feels stronger at all rpms with the resonator in place and I've pulled some pretty decent times out of my Maxima with the resonator in place.

Th Z06 I was looking after had the accordion thing too except it was more rigid, almost plastic like...

Something that I always noticed about the midpipe is how much louder (resonance) the intake was. With the MEVI, the lower you set your switchover, the louder it gets (resonance) on switchover. We now know that setting the MEVI at 5400rpms is pretty much ideal for performance and guess what? At a 5400rpm switchover, the change in intake noise is barely audible when the butterflys open. What I'm seeing is that if the intake resonance (noise) is lower, the performance goes up. The resonance you hear is the sound waves bouncing and reverberating through the intake. The higher switchover seems to reduce this noise. The same goes for the OEM intake resonator. The deep snortiness of the intake changes to a more linear sound. A resonator is there to reduce resonance which is ultimately bad for performance. The MEVI is a "tuned" resonance design. Just something to think about.

Dave

Quick Reply: Injen CAI