4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hand brake

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 03:37 PM

hand brake

I use my hand brake on a regular basis... one day i noticed the resistance was WAY less... i could pull it to the max..

i read a post a while back with the same problem and thet person was told that the ebrake cable could slip off the hook.

i took both my back tires off and pulled the ebrake up and the left one hold but the right one does not. is the calbe snaped? i looked @ the right caliper and all around and everything looked the same as the left one...

any ideas?
Old 09-02-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by apeg
I use my hand brake on a regular basis... one day i noticed the resistance was WAY less... i could pull it to the max..

i read a post a while back with the same problem and thet person was told that the ebrake cable could slip off the hook.

i took both my back tires off and pulled the ebrake up and the left one hold but the right one does not. is the calbe snaped? i looked @ the right caliper and all around and everything looked the same as the left one...

any ideas?
Check this link,this may be your problem,, it was mine.

http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/303

Replace the cut and corroded brake cable on the drivers side, no more problem.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:29 PM

I did notice that when i was inspecting the brake... but will bending the thing fix it? or prevent it from happening again once its fixed?

b/c right now with the ebrake on i can spin the right back wheel
Old 09-03-2003, 06:40 AM

any ideas?

I have this problem too, with the rear right caliper. I had a helper sit in the car and applying / releiving the hand brake while I was watching the cable unhooked from the caliper lever. The cable was moving in and out freely. That eliminated the possibility of the cable being seized. The other possibility is the lever on the caliper itself. It was very hard to move (rotate) compared to the other side. While pulling on the ebrake handle, the lever could rotate in the parking brake 'on' position, but will not return freely to it's relieved position when the ebrake is relieved ( off position) This would make the cable to slip off the open hook of the lever when returning to it's off position. Proposed remedy: new caliper or overall the existing one. I have done neither yet. I plan to replace the caliper shortly though. On Max's the rear calipers are expensive, compared to regular calipers that have no ebrake mechanisn built-in: 275$ CAD at the dealer less 100$ for the return of the old one.
Old 09-03-2003, 12:29 PM

I did notice that when i was inspecting the brake... but will bending the thing fix it? or prevent it from happening again once its fixed?

b/c right now with the ebrake on i can spin the right back wheel
If the cable has a cut and is already corroded you have to replace the cable. I tried cutting away the rubber exterior at the effected area and lubing the area where corroded....it is not a good idea, I got the cable to work intermittently, but then the brake would not release after a while...the cable is shot once it is corroded internally! Order from courtesy nissan, like $38 bucks shipped!