4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Kyb??? Tokico??? Koni??? What To Do???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Kyb??? Tokico??? Koni??? What To Do???

What's happenin guys, I wanna upgrade the suspension on my '95 GLE, but i dont know what to go with. Most importantly I want her to ride smooth, but I want to be able to handle when I need it. What should I go with?

Also, in changing the struts/shocks, i wanna change the springs. I want the car to be lowered slightly, not slammed because I am from NY and we all know how our roads blow chunks. Eibach? H & R? Intrax? Please help me decide!
Old 09-03-2003, 02:23 PM

The eibach springs are not that low, only a little more than an inch. as for the shocks im in the same boat as you. the kyb agx seems to be the middle of the road as far as price and performance. i think the tokico illuminas are a little expensive for a probably unnoticeable difference.
Old 09-03-2003, 02:31 PM
Kevlo for President

http://maxmods.dyndns.org/index.php?MaximaHandling
Old 09-03-2003, 06:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey kevlo, that site rocks dude, you are The Man!!!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:06 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Get yourself a set of H&R springs for NYC streets and couple them with Tokico Illumina's. The handling and ride with that combo is superb.

The differance between KYB AGX's and Tokico Illuminas is night and day in regard to ride quality. They both handle the same, perhaps the Illuminas a little better because they actually absorb road imperfections rather then throw your car around like the AGX's do. They are totally worth the money. I've have both installed in my car, I was not impressed with the AGX's when my car was lowered. At the stock height, they ride excellent. I'm also not impressed with Konis either. They only adjust rebound, not compression and the ride is a bit on the harsh side. The front inserts also tend to come loose now and then. For the money you pay for them, they could ride a bit better and installation could be more of a direct fit rather then modify the old strut for their cartridge.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:57 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Sounds like the Illumnias perform much like my front Koni's. I pretty much hate my rear AGXs because of their harshness and poor valving compared to my front Koni's. I suggest steering clear of the AGXs and getting Koni's or Illumnias if you want the ultimate in performance and ride quality.

Dave
Old 09-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I put on KYB GR2's and Progress springs over Labor Day weekend. I like the ride, very responsive, not too harsh.

Before:

After:
Old 09-04-2003, 08:47 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by maximaah
I put on KYB GR2's and Progress springs over Labor Day weekend. I like the ride, very responsive, not too harsh.

Before:

After:
Excellent before and after pictures of the progress drop.

The more I hear about these illuminas, the better they sound. Ill wait for costcowholesale to get his and then judge for myself.
Old 09-04-2003, 09:45 PM

Is it just me or does it seem like Maximas tend to droop a bit more in the rear?

Any suggestions on where to get the Illuminas and H&R springs?
Old 09-05-2003, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by kingrukus
Excellent before and after pictures of the progress drop.

The more I hear about these illuminas, the better they sound. Ill wait for costcowholesale to get his and then judge for myself.
Yeah, illuminas sound like the better choice, at least in front. Just expen$ive.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by MoogieBoogie
Is it just me or does it seem like Maximas tend to droop a bit more in the rear?

Any suggestions on where to get the Illuminas and H&R springs?
tirerack.com carries H&R's.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:11 AM
living out of a maxima...

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Get yourself a set of H&R springs for NYC streets and couple them with Tokico Illumina's. The handling and ride with that combo is superb.

The differance between KYB AGX's and Tokico Illuminas is night and day in regard to ride quality. They both handle the same, perhaps the Illuminas a little better because they actually absorb road imperfections rather then throw your car around like the AGX's do. They are totally worth the money. I've have both installed in my car, I was not impressed with the AGX's when my car was lowered. At the stock height, they ride excellent. I'm also not impressed with Konis either. They only adjust rebound, not compression and the ride is a bit on the harsh side. The front inserts also tend to come loose now and then. For the money you pay for them, they could ride a bit better and installation could be more of a direct fit rather then modify the old strut for their cartridge.
This guy knows exactly what you need. Listen to everything he says (about suspension, at least).