4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

hesitation problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 04:00 PM
My heroine

hesitation problems

Hey all,

random problem here... I have an auto 97 and in 3rd gear between 3000 rpm and 3500ish rpm there are major hesitation issues. No problems in first gear at the same rpm, or second, or fourth. I know my knock sensor is bad, dunno if that could be the problem here or not. If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate it.

thanks

wJ
Old 09-03-2003, 06:51 PM
BOSS

been there...done that...

Hi...I'm new but have been reading maxima.org posts for quite some time now and could tell u right off the bat that many (let me stress MANY) individuals have experienced these hesitations. Although it could be due to a number of reasons, some in particular that stand out and reappear most often are:

1) Defective Ignition Coil(s) - ...had a defective ignition coil with 3k to 5k RPM range hesitations. At first, I was frustrated because no check-engine light came on, therefore making the self-diagnosis extremely difficult if not nearly impossible! I drove around with the hesitations for about 4 months. Eventually the defective coil will wear out to a point where the hesitation is no longer such, but instead, a big pause. When that happens, the coil will cause severe cylinder misfire, causing you ECU to throw a code - which was exactly what happened with me. I check the code and indeed IT WAS cylinder #5 misfire. After that, I decided to play detective and swapped Ignition coil #5 (yes, the one on cylinder #5...they correspond) with coil #1. I reset my ecu, drove around for some time and got a check-engine again with...yes, u guessed it, cylinder #1 misfire this time. At this point, it was obvious that what cause the hesitations was an ignition coil going bad. I bought a new coil at a local nissan dealer for $75 and replaced the defective one. OMG...UNLEASH THE POWER! Jesus, what a difference!

- when looking at your Maxima's engine compartment from the front the cylinders are as follows:

1 3 5

2 4 6

Since the coils for the back (1,3,5) cylinders (...the ones closer to the windshield) are different than for the front cylinders (2,4,6), you can only swap front with front and back with back: (e.g. swap 5 with 1 like I did, but cannot swap 5 with 2 for instance)

2) Clogged fuel filter

3) Defective fuel injector(s)

As to your knock sensor going bad...I have yet to hear of a hesitation in the 3 to 5 RPM range because of that. In the end, I really believe it is not the knock sensor that is causing the hesitations.

Old 09-03-2003, 07:34 PM
My heroine

Originally Posted by BOSS
Hi...I'm new but have been reading maxima.org posts for quite some time now and could tell u right off the bat that many (let me stress MANY) individuals have experienced these hesitations. Although it could be due to a number of reasons, some in particular that stand out and reappear most often are:

1) Defective Ignition Coil(s) - ...had a defective ignition coil with 3k to 5k RPM range hesitations. At first, I was frustrated because no check-engine light came on, therefore making the self-diagnosis extremely difficult if not nearly impossible! I drove around with the hesitations for about 4 months. Eventually the defective coil will wear out to a point where the hesitation is no longer such, but instead, a big pause. When that happens, the coil will cause severe cylinder misfire, causing you ECU to throw a code - which was exactly what happened with me. I check the code and indeed IT WAS cylinder #5 misfire. After that, I decided to play detective and swapped Ignition coil #5 (yes, the one on cylinder #5...they correspond) with coil #1. I reset my ecu, drove around for some time and got a check-engine again with...yes, u guessed it, cylinder #1 misfire this time. At this point, it was obvious that what cause the hesitations was an ignition coil going bad. I bought a new coil at a local nissan dealer for $75 and replaced the defective one. OMG...UNLEASH THE POWER! Jesus, what a difference!

- when looking at your Maxima's engine compartment from the front the cylinders are as follows:

1 3 5

2 4 6

Since the coils for the back (1,3,5) cylinders (...the ones closer to the windshield) are different than for the front cylinders (2,4,6), you can only swap front with front and back with back: (e.g. swap 5 with 1 like I did, but cannot swap 5 with 2 for instance)

2) Clogged fuel filter

3) Defective fuel injector(s)

As to your knock sensor going bad...I have yet to hear of a hesitation in the 3 to 5 RPM range because of that. In the end, I really believe it is not the knock sensor that is causing the hesitations.
thanks for the thought out answer. I had thought of fuel filter, I am planning on changing that out soon anyway, but hadn't thought of the ignition coil, I may have to look into that further. I didn't really think it was the knock sensor either, just wanted to ask. Again, thanks

wJ
Old 09-03-2003, 09:12 PM

Can you describe the hesitation?
Old 09-04-2003, 03:45 AM
My heroine

Originally Posted by 2KxSEx
Can you describe the hesitation?
umm... with constant pressure on the gas, between 3000 and 3500 rpms it feels like i'm getting on the gas, then off, then gas again, then off.. I dunno how better to describe it
Old 09-04-2003, 05:35 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by willis
umm... with constant pressure on the gas, between 3000 and 3500 rpms it feels like i'm getting on the gas, then off, then gas again, then off.. I dunno how better to describe it

Check your ECU for the knock sensor code.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:49 PM
My heroine

Originally Posted by mzmtg
Check your ECU for the knock sensor code.

I have the knock sensor code, I just wasn't sure if that could be the cause or if I should be looking for something else. knock sensor should be fixed in two weeks when the mevi goes on, so we'll see then.