4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.
View Poll Results: Would you buy a 1999 ecu upgrade? jwt or gforce
I'd buy one in a heartbeat
60.29%
I'm interested but dont have the dough right now.
35.29%
Whats an ecu upgrade?
4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: I want a ECU upgrade for my 1999 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 07:16 AM

Poll: I want a ECU upgrade for my 1999 4th gen

Ok here's the deal guys. I think if we can get enough "PAYING" people together we could get either JWT or Gforce to make us some ecu upgrades. Perhaps we could do it via an online peitition. Anywho go ahead and vote using this online poll here for now.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:41 AM

bump.....other than jwt and gforce can anyone think of another company that we could get to do this?
Old 09-05-2003, 08:44 AM

does a ecu upgrade really make a big difference? how much of a difference?
Old 09-05-2003, 09:38 AM
living out of a maxima...

I want this so bad, you cannot imagine. I will GLADLY put up the money ahead of time.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:38 AM

People if you are posting yes I would buy one please post in the thread also. Thanks
Old 09-05-2003, 10:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If they could make one for a 99, then presumably it would work on a 2000 and 2001 Maxima as well. And, with little modification, even a 2K2 up to a 2K4 Maxima. Present this argument with a broader appeal to JWT or gforce, and you may get a better response from them.

DW
Old 09-05-2003, 11:55 AM
A couple of Blaxxx's? Lawls.

i know that jim wolf is a pita to deal with, but they do have the nissan experience. i would definitely buy one if we could get it, i have a 98 auto and i would like a fuel remap and a raise rev limiter/shift change.

gl guys
steve
Old 09-05-2003, 01:10 PM

I had a pretty good 97-99 JWT ECU list going awhile back...... we had a decent amount of people interested. It got locked :<
Old 09-05-2003, 05:08 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

its not like us 97'ers dont have a big a$$ hassle tryin to get one either, so this should be for 97+ max's
Old 09-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Conecarver

Originally Posted by infinitiblast
bump.....other than jwt and gforce can anyone think of another company that we could get to do this?
You could continue where I left off with Powerchip group. Try wayne@powerchip.com.au

He could use pics of the inside of the ECU's for '98 and '99. Specifically showing the codes on the stock chip. That's what I couldn't provide him this spring.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:22 PM

I thought CustomMaxima had the JET CHIP

CustomMaxima is claiming the JET chip +15 hp for all Maximas from 1985 - 2005.

Am I missing something here?

Here is the link:

http://www.custommaxima.com/JET.php

Ok here's the deal guys. I think if we can get enough "PAYING" people together we could get either JWT or Gforce to make us some ecu upgrades. Perhaps we could do it via an online peitition. Anywho go ahead and vote using this online poll here for now.
Old 09-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Kevlo for President

whats up with the dyno graph, a 4thgen would dip like a freefall after 6k and yet it is going up? something sounds fishy, unless it has VI
Old 09-06-2003, 11:48 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by packetattack
CustomMaxima is claiming the JET chip +15 hp for all Maximas from 1985 - 2005.

Am I missing something here?

Here is the link:

http://www.custommaxima.com/JET.php
Yeah what you're missing is that:
a) they wont work on a 99+
b) their dynos are fake
c) no ECU will give 15hp on a Maxima
d) JET products suck

Don't believe anything you hear from JET.
Old 09-06-2003, 03:07 PM

Does this affect all 99s, or is it just 99 California spec cars? I would imagine that Fed spec 99s thru 2001 have the freedom of 98 and earlier Maximas.

DW
Old 09-08-2003, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
Yeah what you're missing is that:
a) they wont work on a 99+
b) their dynos are fake
c) no ECU will give 15hp on a Maxima
d) JET products suck

Don't believe anything you hear from JET.
Hey Nealoc, i read in a post that you used to have this chip... Is there any gains with this chip? Where are the gains if any? (4K+?) Would you buy this again? What are the real gains? Got dyno?

LEMAR
Old 09-08-2003, 07:51 AM
I am Roid Rage

I voted that I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I've got a 99.5 (SE-L) and would like to get a fuel re-map and a raised rev-limiter.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:19 AM

I would definitely be interested. I have a 99 SE-L. I think I would prefer a gforce ecu over JWT. I would also want the raised rev limiter to make the MEVI a worthwhile investment, so if gforce can't do it, then I would say JWT.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:16 AM

I am interested in '98 5spd ECU.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:03 PM

Want a 95/96 ECU in a 99 max?

Below is a list of different pins from the ECU's wiring diagrams. The real main issue's is that the crank and cam sensors are reversed and the fuel pump relay needs to be moved to the right slot. As for the o2 sensor U can splice either side of the rear's. After that is done next U'll have to reroute the vacuum hose's back to a 95-96 spec and possibly use a resistor for the swirl valve and EGR volume control.

However if one can live with a CEL, at the minimum #44/48 need to be switched with #46/47, #117 needs to be pin #11, #27 needs to be #22. That should allow the car to start and at least run ok. Also here is a pic of the ECU pin diagram click and save as.

pins not used in 99 ECU from 96 ecu

#6 (R) AT diagnosis signal

#11 (B/P) Fuel pump relay

#15 (B/P) Fuel pump control module

#22 (G/W mt, G/OR at) Neutral switch or inhibitor switch

#28 (G/R) Fuel pump control module check [96 ECU]

#65/65/73/74/77 (R/L, Y/B, W/L, W/PU, R/W) AT signal 4,5,1,2,3

#103 (L/B) EGRC-soleniod valve

#110/118 (G/B, L/R) EVAP canister purge volume control valve

#112 (B) Rear heated o2 sensor heater ground

#114 (L/Y) EVAP canister purge control soleniod valve

Pins different in 99 ecu vs 96 ecu

#27 (G/W mt, R/G at) Neutral switch or inhibitor switch

#35 + 36 (P,G) EGR volume control valve [idle = 0-1V]

#40 + 41 (G/B, L/R) EGR volume control valve [idle = batt volt]

#44/48 (W) Crank position sensor Phase [96 ecu = Crank REF]

#46/47 (w) Cam position sensor REF [96 ecu = Cam sensor PHASE]

#53 (PU) Swirl control valve control vacuum check switch

#57 (W) Rear heated o2 sensor left bank

#68 (W/L) AT communication line

#71 (L/Y) Swirl control valve control soleniod valve

#107 (R) Rear heated o2 sensor right back

#117 (B/P) Fuel pump relay
Old 09-08-2003, 05:17 PM

I Want This Yesterday!

I voted that I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I've got a 97 SE 5 speed and would like to get a fuel re-map and a raised rev-limiter.
I would be wiling to be put up a down payment. If that would really help.

Shawn
Old 09-08-2003, 05:17 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by slimer
i know that jim wolf is a pita to deal with, but they do have the nissan experience. i would definitely buy one if we could get it, i have a 98 auto and i would like a fuel remap and a raise rev limiter/shift change.

gl guys
steve
same here...98 auto, would love to see this go through
Old 09-08-2003, 06:13 PM

i'd like one for a 98
Old 09-09-2003, 05:46 AM

hi jason

at this point, we cant upgrade the late model maxima, and we dont believe our current products we manufacture will be suitable.

If something becomes available in the future, we will let u know.

Joel, please add James to be contacted when available in Goldmine.

Regards

Wayne Besanko

Got this response back from Powerchip.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
pins not used in 99 ECU from 96 ecu

#6 (R) AT diagnosis signal

#11 (B/P) Fuel pump relay

Nismo, aren't the harness' different between the 95 and 99. Somewhere I heard they won't even plug into each other, meaning you would have to completely re-pin a new harness. That's when I gave up on that idea.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MAXimumHP
Nismo, aren't the harness' different between the 95 and 99. Somewhere I heard they won't even plug into each other, meaning you would have to completely re-pin a new harness. That's when I gave up on that idea.
yeah I believe the harnesses on the 99's are the same as the 2000/2001, but maybe someone can confirm that...
Old 09-09-2003, 09:58 AM
Conecarver

hi jason
at this point, we cant upgrade the late model maxima, and we dont believe our current products we manufacture will be suitable.
If something becomes available in the future, we will let u know.
Joel, please add James to be contacted when available in Goldmine.
Regards
Wayne Besanko
Got this response back from Powerchip.
Sorry for wasting your time. Worth a shot though.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:38 PM

The harness's are different however the ECU pins are in the same position for all 95-99 years. To get the engine started one must repin the cam/crank sensor and the fuel pump relay otherwise the engine will never start. Everything else is just emission related, in theory some hose rerouting and use of various resistors might trick the ECU enough not to throw a CEL.

Old 09-10-2003, 08:49 AM
Redlinemax Owner

so you are saying then , since the harnesses are different, then you would have to cut one harness off and add a repinned one to the end of the wiring? otherwise how could you get the ecu to plug in?
Old 09-10-2003, 12:43 PM

I have the same question. If the harness doesn't fit into the ECU, it's too much of a pain in the a$$ for me. I'm not re-pining an entire harness.
Old 09-10-2003, 06:27 PM

There shouldn't be any cutting involved at all. The harness's are physically the same, the difference is some sensor's are arranged differently. I suppose U could cut a wire and resplice it, however with some care you can remove the pin itself and just switch positions with another.

Originally Posted by Redmax
so you are saying then , since the harnesses are different, then you would have to cut one harness off and add a repinned one to the end of the wiring? otherwise how could you get the ecu to plug in?
Old 09-10-2003, 06:36 PM

Any of the 95-99 ECU's will plug into the harness on a 98+ maxima. However since both crank and cam position sensors are switched, they have to be switched back to the 96 configuration. The same goes for the fuel pump relay it must be on the same pin as the 96 ECU would recognize. This can be done without cutting, but it is also delicate work and if you fail, you can put it back in the orginal configuration so the 99 ecu will work.

I have the same question. If the harness doesn't fit into the ECU, it's too much of a pain in the a$$ for me. I'm not re-pining an entire harness.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:26 PM
BOSS

I'm into computers and electronic. Finished college and working on my masters now - I don't mean to be bragging, but I have recently expressed much interest in the ECU upgrade for 97-99 Maximas. I myself own a 99 SE-L and sure as hell would like the ECU upgraded. So what am I getting at? Well, in actuality...anybody who knows about circuits, switches, multiplexers, etc. and most importantly some comon knowledge of Nissan resistors, etc. can do THE JOB, that is - upgrade the ECU. I have looked at other vehicles' ecu's in school and must admit that the core design of an average ECU (mercedes, BMW's, etc. use 20 times more complicated ECU's than do nissans, toyotas, etc.) is not that complex. Welding and exchanging ECU components is kiddy stuff...it's knowing the charges, transistor routes, and functionality that is somewhat difficult. Anyway, enough about the technical side of an ECU upgrade. In the end, I simply want to let everyone know that I will be acquiring an ECU from a dead Maxima and try to modify ("upgrade") it myself. If one is already in production then you're all happy. But if the upgrade will not come soon (perhaps never?) from JWT and others then I sure as hell will make a lot of $$!!!! HAHA j/k...but I am serious about this and planning start working on it next week.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:36 PM

You don't know how many people would be ecstatic if you were to come through with this. Maybe you can start simple, like adjusting a 97-99 ECU to have a 7000 rpm feul cut. I'm sure people would go for that, as well as the more ambitious re-mapping of the feul maps.

DW

Originally Posted by BOSS
I'm into computers and electronic. Finished college and working on my masters now - I don't mean to be bragging, but I have recently expressed much interest in the ECU upgrade for 97-99 Maximas. I myself own a 99 SE-L and sure as hell would like the ECU upgraded. So what am I getting at? Well, in actuality...anybody who knows about circuits, switches, multiplexers, etc. and most importantly some comon knowledge of Nissan resistors, etc. can do THE JOB, that is - upgrade the ECU. I have looked at other vehicles' ecu's in school and must admit that the core design of an average ECU (mercedes, BMW's, etc. use 20 times more complicated ECU's than do nissans, toyotas, etc.) is not that complex. Welding and exchanging ECU components is kiddy stuff...it's knowing the charges, transistor routes, and functionality that is somewhat difficult. Anyway, enough about the technical side of an ECU upgrade. In the end, I simply want to let everyone know that I will be acquiring an ECU from a dead Maxima and try to modify ("upgrade") it myself. If one is already in production then you're all happy. But if the upgrade will not come soon (perhaps never?) from JWT and others then I sure as hell will make a lot of $$!!!! HAHA j/k...but I am serious about this and planning start working on it next week.

Old 09-10-2003, 07:51 PM

I'm highly interested Lets get this Ecu thing going.
Old 09-10-2003, 11:20 PM

I thought the reason there wasn't an ECU for 99 was because of the key immbolizer and the chip's data in the key is stored in the ECU and if we were to reprogram it, our keys would stop working. Is this true at all? or just some rumor I heard?
Old 09-11-2003, 11:41 AM

if you raise the rev-limiter for my 99 ECU, I will give you lots of money.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
If they could make one for a 99, then presumably it would work on a 2000 and 2001 Maxima as well. And, with little modification, even a 2K2 up to a 2K4 Maxima. Present this argument with a broader appeal to JWT or gforce, and you may get a better response from them.

DW
I doubt any ECU would be usable between 4th and 5th gens because so many sensor and parts are different. '99s have the same color wiring as 5th gens, but I believe many things are still different.

Everyone also forgets about NVIS. Unless there's some way to bypass it (which probably wouldn't be easy) you can't just swap in an earlier model ECU.
-hype
Old 09-11-2003, 06:47 PM

Good luck man, I'm not saying it can't be done but it won't be easy. However it would be easier to say make an adapter harness, so that anyone with a 98-99 could just plug the adapter between the 95-96 ECU and the ECU harness connector. Then again where would ya get the male/female plugs from too?

Anyway, enough about the technical side of an ECU upgrade. In the end, I simply want to let everyone know that I will be acquiring an ECU from a dead Maxima and try to modify ("upgrade") it myself. If one is already in production then you're all happy. But if the upgrade will not come soon (perhaps never?) from JWT and others then I sure as hell will make a lot of $$!!!! HAHA j/k...but I am serious about this and planning start working on it next week.

Old 09-12-2003, 06:29 AM
Redlinemax Owner

boss, i talked to my mechanic yesterday who told me that its not that jwt doesnt want to do it, its that the algorithm that is programmed into the ecu which controls everything, no one has figured out how to break the code. If they had broken the code many of these would have been done before. its like reading the dead sea scrolls.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nismo87SE
Any of the 95-99 ECU's will plug into the harness on a 98+ maxima. However since both crank and cam position sensors are switched, they have to be switched back to the 96 configuration. The same goes for the fuel pump relay it must be on the same pin as the 96 ECU would recognize. This can be done without cutting, but it is also delicate work and if you fail, you can put it back in the orginal configuration so the 99 ecu will work.
Switching out a few pins I can handle. The first step would be for someone to attempt using a 96 in a 99. I thought someone was trying this (forget who).

Quick Reply: Poll: I want a ECU upgrade for my 1999 4th gen