4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Would this kind of intake do anything more...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 03:41 PM

Would this kind of intake do anything more...

I have been wondering this for a while, and considered trying to make one myself but would an intake like this one (disregard the car its for) http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off

would an intake w/ 2 cone filters have any greater advantage performance wise or even sound wise than a single cone like on the stillen? More air at the least?
Old 09-08-2003, 04:09 PM
Banned

an engine will only suck in so much air. i could be wrong but i'm almost 100% sure this would do nothing for performace...but if it sounds cool let me know...go build one at your local hardware store!!
Old 09-08-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Torgus
an engine will only suck in so much air. i could be wrong but i'm almost 100% sure this would do nothing for performace...but if it sounds cool let me know...go build one at your local hardware store!!

the only thing that might be affected is the sound. (to the best of my knowledge)
Old 09-08-2003, 05:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sorry bud, but this won't do anything but make the VQ louder...too loud on the intake side IMO
Old 09-08-2003, 05:20 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

another filter to clean, and louder
Old 09-08-2003, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
another filter to clean, and louder
How much louder do you guys think it would make it?!? Or should I make one and find out?
Old 09-08-2003, 06:53 PM
V^___^V

1. are those just some generic filters?
2. if the hoses are big enough to slap some K&N or even JWT chargers in, will u have enough space? (i highly doubt it.
3. IMO it'll probably have enough space if ur running a place racing CAI with the intake arm sittin infront the bumper, u'll have a lot more space there for 2 filters.
4. this setup is based on the quality of ur filter for more HP, not the quantity of the filter.

think it thru, it may be a great custom setup.
Old 09-08-2003, 07:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

For that car don't they have dual throttle plates hence why there were two filters?
Old 09-08-2003, 07:36 PM
Conecarver

Ok, so maybe the twin filters is overkill. I like what venompwr2 is thinking though. We all know the gains of a CAI or hybrid bringing more air into the engine than stock.

The default CAI filter for instance is the K&N #RU-2820 which offers 102sqin of filter area. This provides similar air/power as the Monsterflow filter with velocity stack. (yeah I dyno'd a while back)

I was considering the possibility of the K&N #RC-2530 which is similar but 9" long and offers 141sqin filter area; an increase of 38%. Ok, so maybe you don't get 38% more air into the engine but how much can it benefit?

All was positive til I found this tonight
"In the April 2002 issue of Car Craft magazine, an interesting dyno test was done by Marlan Davis and Westech using a 448ci (7.3 L) Chrysler motor, with various sized air filters. The horsepower peak on this particular motor was approximately 520hp at 5200 RPM. The purpose of the test was to determine what the actual effect of different sized air filters has on power output. The largest filter tested was 14x6" (230.9 sq. in. effective filtering area), which would in theory, be enough to support an engine of about 925ci (15.2 L). The smallest filter tested (just for laughs) was 7x3" (49.5 sq. in. effective filtering area), which would in theory, only be enough to support an engine of about 198.3ci (3.3 L). However, the tiny filter came in at 0.6 HP and 6.1 lb-ft more than the monster filter - in fact all the filters which were tested came in within 4 HP of each other, a range which was smaller than the dyno's margin of error. The conclusion that the testers came to was that for all practical purposes, all the filters made the same power."
http://www.steigerperformance.com/PRODUCTS/sp01101.html

As Torgus said, no gains because the engine can only suck in so much air.

Ah, but what happens when one ports, polishes, and opens up the MAF, TB, intake plenums, etc. at bit. With 8%-15% larger paths does the air filter again become the restriciton?

Or am I just dreaming?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by happyricefob
1. are those just some generic filters?
2. if the hoses are big enough to slap some K&N or even JWT chargers in, will u have enough space? (i highly doubt it.
3. IMO it'll probably have enough space if ur running a place racing CAI with the intake arm sittin infront the bumper, u'll have a lot more space there for 2 filters.
4. this setup is based on the quality of ur filter for more HP, not the quantity of the filter.

think it thru, it may be a great custom setup.
There would most definetly be room for 2 filters like that, however it would look much different, since where the normal pop/hyrid filter is (behind the battery) there isnt much room. BUT if you had one filter there and the second branching off to the side of the battery, where the stock intake scoop once was, you would have more than enough room. If by some chance it did make 1hp or 2 more I really wouldnt care because that isnt noticable anyways. I would just like to see how it sounds.

But filter size has to make some sort of difference. For those of you who have a supercharger kit on your maxima, ever notice the round filter and how restrictive it seems, especially w/ where its located? They make that cold air kit for the SC, and notice the size of that filter? It's about the size of the one in the link in the above post. So are the gains (hp, tq, and psi) from that CAI adapter from the filter size change or the slightly cooler air? I mean if the air is then going through the supercharger and then through piping around the front of the engine, how much cooler can it really be??
Old 09-09-2003, 08:49 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by BEJAY1

Ah, but what happens when one ports, polishes, and opens up the MAF, TB, intake plenums, etc. at bit. With 8%-15% larger paths does the air filter again become the restriciton?

Or am I just dreaming?
Well, he was asking if the filters and little Y split pipe (tempted to call it a Y pipe) would give it more power, not porting and polishing
Old 09-09-2003, 09:05 PM
ivelweyz

They installed this on an Impala on "Horsepower TV". The sound was NOT as loud as I thought it would be. It seemed quieter than my hybrid...

Old 09-09-2003, 09:11 PM
SXN

lol, i watched that one too... i think they got their sound primarily from exhaust and didnt capture much intake noise. Your hybrid might be louder because the max engine revs higher? they didnt mic the impala engine? you like your intake so much you think its cooler than everyone elses?
Old 09-09-2003, 10:37 PM
ivelweyz

^Yep.
Not really though. See my cat(for sure) and(maybe) my KS is screwed up and I feel loss whenever I try a new intake. To tell you the truth I barely noticed any gain from the Y-pipe too. I need a new cat cause the smell of shiznit when I step on it is driving me crazy. I didn't notice it but it's been like this since the day I got my car and all other parts of the exhaust rusted through...

Old 09-10-2003, 05:39 AM
Conecarver

Ok, back to topic - using stock internals, how do we know if gains using larger filters are possible or not? Somebody's got to try this or similar and hookup a scantool or dyno or something.
Old 09-10-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
Ok, back to topic - using stock internals, how do we know if gains using larger filters are possible or not? Somebody's got to try this or similar and hookup a scantool or dyno or something.
Well I dont have a dyno available to use...but I can use the good old butt dyno. Just have to wait until the my anniversary passes so I have some money to get on a project. I've been wanting to work on the car and add some more parts recently anyways.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:06 PM
ivelweyz

You won't feel a difference. Our cars get as much air as they can with the intakes we have. The Impala has a dual TB and a HUGE engine so it needs the extra air, we don't...

Old 09-10-2003, 07:37 PM
SXN

we already said all this, more air filter wont help if the VQ cant pull in more air. there was even the link where the bigger intakes did nothing but hurt performance
http://www.steigerperformance.com/PRODUCTS/sp01101.html