4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Accords are slow

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 11:41 PM

Today I'm on my way back to school from home, and some jerk pulls out in front of me on a 2 lane highway. He's drivin about a 96 or 97 Accord. The speed limit is 55 and I was doin about 70-75 and he really cut me off. The roads are real hilly so it was hard to find a good spot to pass. I kept trying, but it just couldn't happen b/c cars kept coming. Finally after about a mile there was about a 1/2 mile straight away. I punched it right when I saw the gap, he punched it right when I did....within 2 secs I was even with him. I was probably about 2 car lengths behind doing 55 when I punched it. I hit 95 about 3 seconds later (after I was even with him or 1/2 car ahead) and he was about 3 car lenghts behind me. What's with these accord owners thinkin they can whoop up on the MAX? I had no idea the accord was so slow...my best friend has one and it feels fast! Accords are slow! Oh, I have very few mods, the intake is homemade CAI from bottom of car which is acually ram air, depending on the speed. Check out the 5th gen airbox mod!!!
Old 02-11-2001, 11:59 PM

Could've been a 4-banger

- That's great that you showed that Honda punk who's boss. But...
- The V-6 Accords aren't slouches. They pull really strongly, although stick Maxima's can beat them. Most likely, the Accord that cut you off was the 4-cylinder model. The Maxima may come with a V-6 standard, but the Honda's and Toyota's don't.
- If it was a V-6 car, it would have badging on the trunk that said (surprise) "V6." I doubt that any Accord owner would take their badge off.
Old 02-12-2001, 06:44 AM

I don't believe you reached 95 from 55 in 3 seconds, but I agree that the Accords are slow.

Old 02-12-2001, 03:32 PM

We eat Hondas for lunch!!!! HA HA HA AAH!!!!

Old 02-12-2001, 07:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yeah, they are pretty slow. I took a 2000 Accord coupe V6 pretty easily in my 95 GXE 5spd.
Old 02-12-2001, 07:37 PM

give em credit...

theyre not entirely slow now. my sister has a 2000 accord coupe, v6, with tanabe exhaust and a CAI. it really is pretty quick. no doubt will the max take it off the line, but from a rolling start. i would have to say, the cars would be extremely close. i have raced my sister's a few times and took her off the line except once (had to peel out to show her what a manual tranny can do), she pulls up close in first and when she hits second gear, her car jumps forward a bit, but not enough, as we're both in second i would pull away and she would have no chance. if the accord came in manual, im sure the 2 cars would be dead even until up to 50-60 when the max would start pulling. who knows...
Old 02-12-2001, 07:42 PM

VQ Infiniti driver...first of all, read my post again. If you add it up, it equals 5 seconds from 55 to 95. Anyway, it's not like I had a stopwatch. You figure it out. It was a V6 Accord, four door and the girl driving had one passenger while I had none. However, I had about 120 pounds of carry on with me. I must say, no offense to women, that girls aren't quite as good of drivers, especially when it comes to racing and what not. The fact is, that I completely left her behind without a chance and all she could do is pray for a s/c for her birthday if she wants to play with a pretty much stock Maxima.
Old 02-12-2001, 08:43 PM

girl or no girl.....

it was the freeway, if anyone wanted to race all you had to do was floor; there isnt much technique racing an automatic especially on an open straight away. the last generation accord v6's were kinda messed up. i think it is one of the slowest v6's ever made IMO. btw, were you racing guy or a girl? your post contradict eachother. happy killings.
Old 02-12-2001, 10:00 PM

Re: girl or no girl.....

Originally posted by _DRU_
it was the freeway, if anyone wanted to race all you had to do was floor; there isnt much technique racing an automatic especially on an open straight away. the last generation accord v6's were kinda messed up. i think it is one of the slowest v6's ever made IMO. btw, were you racing guy or a girl? your post contradict eachother. happy killings.
I completely second that...autos don't take but a foot to slam on the gas pedal. However, I do agree with one thing, Jaxima...girls aren't as good of drivers, especially when it comes to racing. The reason...Their too smart to have "no Fear". Us guys, our "give in" point is much higher than the girls.

But still, you girls out there keep hookin up those ridez! There isn't a more delightful site than a hooked up ride with blacked out windows pulling up next to you at a gas station, then to your surprise, a fine *** broad gets out in those tight *** pants and holter top.

Love a girl with the same interests
Old 02-12-2001, 10:10 PM

haha. i agree with you guys. girls who are into fixed up cars it just makes them look even better =)
Old 02-12-2001, 10:31 PM

The funny thing is that I have an automatic with basically no mods (only worth maybe 10 to 15 hp) and she hit it less than a second after I did. The accord was completely gone. I know that she got on it because of the exhaust let out (it was cold outside). I swear I was 3 cars ahead when I hit 95 and let off. Also, my girlfriend is a really good driver, yet when I tell her to punch it she only goes about 3/4 the way...I really don't understand, but that's the way they are...you know, they just don't wanna break anything. Also, my friend with the 97, his car FEELS really fast in it, but it is slow. He has the V6 and has a CAI. It's still a lot slower than a 96 auto maxima with no mods.