4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ground Control COILOVER USERS: Q about lowest setting, please READ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:19 AM

Ground Control COILOVER USERS: Q about lowest setting, please READ...

OK - they are on the lowest setting, and there is still about 1.5"(2finger) wheel gap. Shouldn't the car sit lower? BTW this is with 18" rims and 225 tires. Maybe the 245's are what i need to further reduce the gap...

Now a thought - installation wise - did you keep the spring caps as a part of the front assembly or leave them out - without them it would result in a 1" lower stance.

As for the rears, the spring caps are the actual strut mount, so leaving them out is not an option. How to get the rear lower?

The strut bearings go directly on the silver spring cap - but do you also need to keep a set in the factory location, on top of the spring cap and under the mount.....

Any help or insight from your install experience is appreciated.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BRIGBOY
OK - they are on the lowest setting, and there is still about 1.5"(2finger) wheel gap. Shouldn't the car sit lower? BTW this is with 18" rims and 225 tires. Maybe the 245's are what i need to further reduce the gap...

Now a thought - installation wise - did you keep the spring caps as a part of the front assembly or leave them out - without them it would result in a 1" lower stance.

As for the rears, the spring caps are the actual strut mount, so leaving them out is not an option. How to get the rear lower?

The strut bearings go directly on the silver spring cap - but do you also need to keep a set in the factory location, on top of the spring cap and under the mount.....

This is the same thing i experienced with my ground controls.

The only way to make them lower is to buy shorter springs from ground control. The springs you have won't go any lower, you need the shorter springs or the same size springs with less spring weight, but I would jsut get smaller springs with the same weight.

Welcome to crappy coilovers, get you some JICs, you'll be as happy as I am, I promise.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:28 AM

Thanks - is there a reason for you going with the JICs rather than the Cattmans. I would have thought for sure those chrome cattmans were right up your alley, how are the JICs finished?

And yes I get happy just looking at your drop.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks - is there a reason for you going with the JICs rather than the Cattmans. I would have thought for sure those chrome cattmans were right up your alley, how are the JICs finished?

And yes I get happy just looking at your drop.
The JICs are BADASSS!!!! I can't say enough about them.. I honestly don't know anything about the cattmans, but I do know they use Kyb struts and they Kybs aren't good for daily driving at low heights.

And as far as adjustability, the cattmans are lowered by the spring purch as opposed to the JICs lowering the entire unit into the lower brackets and keeping all spring travel. I am riding one finger gap in the front and tucking tire in the rear and I have the same spring/strut travel as a I would with 2 finger gap all around or higher.

They are a gold color, not sure what the finish, possibly nickel.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:13 PM

I've got the GC AGX set up and im at the lowest and a finger gap is what I have. (its weird its different... maybe i have fat fingers!?) I think it looks awesome like this and I don't have to worry about rubbing or bottoming out over speed bumps. Other day I was going over a speed bump infront a all glass store front and saw how close all the undercarriage was to scraping in the reflection in the glass, I wouldn't want to go much lower (just my opinion). As for leaving the spring caps out I doubt you would even notice much of a difference cuz its not that thick and I wouldnt want to spend money for performance parts to leave certain parts out. Anyway it must look 100x better than the 3"-3.5" gap you had before. Good luck with your experiments.