4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

New to Forum, Short Bio

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 10:21 AM

New to Forum, Short Bio

Hi,

New to the forum, although I've posted a few replys already. Cool board with lots of activity and info exchange! Seems like there's quite a few regulars here, so I thought I'd introduce myself:

- First, the sweetdaddy name is something picked up at work as kind of a joke a few years ago,but I kinda liked it as a BB handle.

- 35 yrs old, live in Minneapolis, work in St. Paul at 3M as lab tech.

-Own a 98 GXE 5sp with 121k, bought used at 35k. Pretty much stock except for deck, amps and speakers. Drive about 35k/yr, lots of hwy miles in state and trips to MT & WY for snowboarding and mountaineering.

- Have Y pipe on order,plan to loosen up exhaust a little bit more,as well as intake, maybe ECU mod & other bolt on stuff. Don't wanna race, just get some easy performance gains.

- Run synthetic engine and trans oil (Amsoil) as well as their foam/oil filter.

- Do most of my own wrench work, 'cept for alignments etc.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Welcome

Originally Posted by sweetdaddy
Hi,

New to the forum, although I've posted a few replys already. Cool board with lots of activity and info exchange! Seems like there's quite a few regulars here, so I thought I'd introduce myself:

- First, the sweetdaddy name is something picked up at work as kind of a joke a few years ago,but I kinda liked it as a BB handle.

- 35 yrs old, live in Minneapolis, work in St. Paul at 3M as lab tech.

-Own a 98 GXE 5sp with 121k, bought used at 35k. Pretty much stock except for deck, amps and speakers. Drive about 35k/yr, lots of hwy miles in state and trips to MT & WY for snowboarding and mountaineering.

- Have Y pipe on order,plan to loosen up exhaust a little bit more,as well as intake, maybe ECU mod & other bolt on stuff. Don't wanna race, just get some easy performance gains.

- Run synthetic engine and trans oil (Amsoil) as well as their foam/oil filter.

- Do most of my own wrench work, 'cept for alignments etc.
Welcome.....
Old 09-13-2003, 09:49 PM

welcome to the org, people here are great...just use some common sense before you post a question, some people have short fuses
Old 09-13-2003, 10:31 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Welcome. Everything you say you are doing or want to do sounds par for the coures except the ECU upgrade. I think it's possible but you'll need an ECU from a 96 and your SES light will be on all the time. I dunno check the FAQs for certainty. Have fun with the org though, it's a pretty good community.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:55 AM

Welcome! Folks like like you and I are probably in the upper quartile (or maybe even decile??) of the age chart. LOL! All kidding aside, this forum is awesome. I've been here for the past 2 years & I've learned so much from others. You'll find most people very supportive of one another in solving problems and offering advice.

Cheers
Old 09-15-2003, 06:49 AM

welcome to the org sweet!!! just remember search is your best friend. sometimes i forget, but try and use that b4 u ask questions...
Old 09-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Welcome . . . concider suspension work, a small drop(ie: H&R, Eibach) with good struts (ie:Illuminas) will make your car feel so much better.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:53 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Welcome!

Please read the F.A.Q.. It will answer a lot of your questions.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys!

StygianMax,

I notice on your sig you are running a 2K1 muffler on your 4th gen. I'm ordering parts for an exhaust build and this possibility occurred to me too. The 2K1 exhaust looks like it might flow a little better than the 4th gen with its 2 exit pipes and might still be fairly quiet. Does this part bolt right in or are there mods to make work? What do you think of the performance and sound?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:41 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Does this part bolt right in or are there mods to make work? What do you think of the performance and sound?
New hangers have to be welded onto the 2k1 muffler to make it fit a 4th gen.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the welcome guys!

StygianMax,

I notice on your sig you are running a 2K1 muffler on your 4th gen. I'm ordering parts for an exhaust build and this possibility occurred to me too. The 2K1 exhaust looks like it might flow a little better than the 4th gen with its 2 exit pipes and might still be fairly quiet. Does this part bolt right in or are there mods to make work? What do you think of the performance and sound?
I bought my whole exhaust system off another org member named Jime. He had the 2K1 muffler retrofitted with a 2.5" inlet pipe and a new flange. That aligns up perfectly with the b-pipe flange. I don't recall 100% if new hangers were welded on to fit a 4th gen. I'll send him a PM to confirm.

The sound from my whole exh. system is definitely louder than stock esp. when going WOT. It only drones with a bassy note when I'm going uphill. When cruising and at idle, it's very quiet.

BTW, if you enjoy listening your music over your stock sound system, you might have difficulty hearing all the notes clearly. I just rather listen to my engine nowadays since I have a 5-spd.

Hope that puts things into some perspective for you.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
New hangers have to be welded onto the 2k1 muffler to make it fit a 4th gen.
I just got a confirmation from Jime that new hangars weren't welded onto his 2K1 Maxima muffler for it to fit his 4th gen. It fits mine perfectly.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:53 AM

Sorry guys I missed the 4th Gen Faq that covers this (even though I've referred to it a dozen times for other things). Didn't realize that the 5th gen muffler is a variable pressure unit that has a valve that opens at high rpm to allow additional flow. Kinda biased against that as my old celica alltrac had stock variable pressure muffler and the valve siezed shut around 65k, from rust,soot and burned oil that got by the turbo. According to one of the old posts the hangers are in the right location but the intake pipe is 3" longer on gen 5 mufflers necessitating a pipe cut and flange reweld. Not a big deal but I think I'll hold on this piece for now. I did order a Y pipe, B pipe and test pipe though, so let the games begin!!
Old 09-15-2003, 02:00 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

damn looks like ur well under way to a great setup smart choices so far, definately consider getting a drop tho!
Old 09-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Old Maxima Legend

This place is addictive ! WELCOME !