4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can i get free horse-power?!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by 5spdFastMax
In regards to Slammed95's comments

There is no replacement for displacement.
Someone has been playing Gran Tourismo, yes?
Old 09-16-2003, 05:11 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The reason im not putting too much money into my maxima is because ITS NOT A RACECAR. Its a fairly quik fairly sharp looking sports sedan. Now dont get me wrong its a great car but it is what it is. If you bought your maxima for speed "slammed95" than you have no idea what speed and power is about. No matter how many bolt ons you, or someone else, put on your car its never gonna be that fast. There is no replacement for displacement.
wrong wrong wrong For one your giving muscle car guys a bad name (i bet you have a pick up with "no fear" on it) your comments are offensive, annoying and incorrect. If displacement is so amazing how come old 454 blocks (in chevelles, el caminos, and some camaros) make less power than a turbo porsche 6 cylander? How come a stock 2003 mini van could out perform a late 60s impala, nomad, etc with a much larger engine? go get some huge big block...and stop posting in the MAXIMA FORUM
Old 09-16-2003, 06:17 PM
SXN

also, cut the "in regards to" crap and QUOTE him
Old 09-16-2003, 06:24 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by wariow
Add some stickers, that'll give you horse power
WORKED FOR ME
Old 09-16-2003, 06:47 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
WORKED FOR ME
look close, u'll see'em in my sig
Old 09-16-2003, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
thats gotta be the funniest **** i've ever heard, with mere bolt-ons the maxi can run high 13's
I guess it all depends on how you look at it. For the type of car the maxima is, high 13's is a good time, considering we can haul 5 people around, weigh 3,000+ and all that. IF you want to be all out performance, then no the maxima isnt falling into that category. So, "no replacement for dispacement" that doesnt always mean a damn thing. What do you have to say about all the mustangs and camaros left behind my maxima? You can have the biggest engine in the world but if you dont know how to use that power or get it to the ground, then whats the use. Plus it's comparing apples to oranges. We're fwd V6, not rwd V8.

We're not saying the maxima is the best/fastest car on the planet. And it isnt (the fastest anyways) but oh well. We cant all drive corvettes and ferraris and all that nice stuff, so what do you do in that case? Work with what you have, and that is what many of these people are doing including myself. Oh, and yes you can make a maxima fast, you just have to know what you're doing. You gotta pay to play

Nismos14- this post isnt directed at you
Old 09-16-2003, 06:51 PM
SXN

we all know the new tail lights, and strut bar is the key to all your power
Old 09-16-2003, 09:18 PM
BOSS

I honestly I agree with 5spdFastMax although he was a little too vulgar in his opinion. Maxima is not a race car...now, was it meant to be? You can't say yes, you can't say no because everyone must answer that question for themselves. If you want to not only race but beat mustangs cobras and you buy a Maxima then it is meant to be a race car for you because although you cannot beat mustang cobra with a stock Maxima, you know that u will be able to with some bolt-ons. Then again, if you buy a Maxima only because you want to have a dominating vehicle from a list of preludes, accords, civics, camrys etc. then the Maxima i probably not meant to be a race car for you since it is quite obvious that these cars pose no threat to a BEAST like your Maxima. Now, the only reason I disagree with you all and agree partially with 5spdFastMax is because I know that although a very sophisticated, awesome, loving and superb in every way automobile like Nissan Maxima, it will NEVER be a true race car. Now, let me speak for him and myself - by a race car, we (or at least I) mean a sports car like say Supra, RX7, Skyline, VR4, 911 T, M3 etc. because be honest with yourself - you need to put in a lot of bolt-ons in your Max (when I say bolt-ons I mean all muscle: no NOS) to equal just the STOCK power of these cars. Now I know some of the listed are faster than others...blah blah blah...so don't give me crap about that - you can get my point though. Also, when I said "a lot of bolt ons" above...well, I KNOW I KNOW...it varies cause you can just put a turbo, boost the psi etc. etc. and get high or low 13's but another thing is that we will never achieve the reliability we are all looking for (in terms of performance, lifespan, etc.)from say a turbo or a SC because they are aftermarket, unless of course we change 1/2 of our VQ engine into something else. My point is that only a factory built-in turbo or SC and appropriately adjusted engine components for that TURBO or SC can successfully cooperate in the long run and make a true race car - which, again, does not necessarily need a Turbo, SC, etc.

Old 09-16-2003, 09:37 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by BOSS
lol, u ever put stuff in paragraph form? everyone had their own gripe about 5spdFastMax...and u just summed up a lot of stuff other people already said, bravo
Old 09-17-2003, 02:55 AM

...between your legs and get rid of those second pair of lips you got there you f*ckin nancy.
Hey, my wife's name is Nancy, and those are her lips. Slammed95, what are you doing with my wife?

Seriously though, why can't people just get along. Group hug.....

Seems to me that people buy a car (a Maxima in this case) for different reasons. Some are in to a comfortable, reliable ride. Others want performance. The Maxima can do both well, but will never be the best at either. I enjoy the fact that I can ride in relative comfort, with the AC blowing, stereo jammin', seating 5 and still have the power to pass others with ease on the interstate. Then I can take an off-ramp, go in the twisties, and have some fun!

What mods people do should be based on their personal priorities. Personally, I think handling is more important than all out speed, but that is my opinion and experience.

5spdFastMax, I've found it much better to have a girl shed her pants out of admiration than to scare her out of them. Again, that is my opinion.

No replacement for displacement? My wife always tells me that size doesn't matter!

Dave
Old 09-17-2003, 06:50 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by venompwr2
I

Nismos14- this post isnt directed at you

even if it was i wouldnt have a problem, i don't get all butt hurt cuz of what someone says lol
Old 09-17-2003, 07:10 AM

to all you guys who are comparing Porsches to Maximas; Your right im sorry, there is replacement for dispacement ITS A 150,000$ 911 turbo, how could i be so stupid. Preludes and Mustangs arent that fast either, my car isn't faster but thats not what it was made for. 13 sec. is fast, really fast but not nearly fast enough for the money that it takes to get there. My buddy has an iroc with a high stall converter and exhaust that runs a 13.6; grand total 2,650$, thats fast.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Administrator

rob a bank and buy a turbo kit.. apart from gas to and from the bank.. its pretty much free
Old 09-17-2003, 07:24 AM

Then go buy a POS IROC if you want it that bad. Sh*t. You're not gonna get free HP. Maybe if we had a distributor-type ignition you could advance your timing for free but we can't. This thread is going nowhere.
Old 09-17-2003, 08:47 AM

free horsepower? um.. drive with your headlights taken off.. more air will go in your engine...
take out your passenger seats, subs, amps, etc..
turn your ac off...
if you're over weight, work out and lose some weight...
rip off all the things in your car that's not required.. such as:
emblems, badges, um... there's more.. dunno for now.. good luck getting "free" horse power
Old 09-17-2003, 09:06 AM
I'm needing a caw

Really?? Wow. There is a Chevy Astro van with a turbo 4 cylinder that's in the 12s. THAT'S FAST TOO. And you know what? He doesn't spend shat for mods either. What point were you trying to make again??

to all you guys who are comparing Porsches to Maximas; Your right im sorry, there is replacement for dispacement ITS A 150,000$ 911 turbo, how could i be so stupid. Preludes and Mustangs arent that fast either, my car isn't faster but thats not what it was made for. 13 sec. is fast, really fast but not nearly fast enough for the money that it takes to get there. My buddy has an iroc with a high stall converter and exhaust that runs a 13.6; grand total 2,650$, thats fast.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:10 AM

I need it now and i need it cheap. I have a 96 5spd max, ive cut the air box but htats about it. any ideas?
One thing you need to know about the Maxima, you have to pay and work for every bit of HP you get out of it.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by IwANnAMaX96
Then go buy a POS IROC if you want it that bad. Sh*t. You're not gonna get free HP. Maybe if we had a distributor-type ignition you could advance your timing for free but we can't. This thread is going nowhere.
Your right lets put this page to bed while its four feet in the ground. Thanks to all the intelligent replys and suggestions.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
Port your intake runners...

Old 09-17-2003, 10:09 AM

How old are we?

If you dont take advantage of the free horse power first you already been wasting your money trying to make it faster. Theres nothing wrong with adding a personal touch to get the upper hand on the car beside you (expensive or not), remember this car was designed as a family sedan not a race car, there are altercations you can make w/out spending a lot of cash. But speed probably isn't what your concerned with "slammed95" is it. I am willing to bet you've put a majority of your or your fathers money into the cosmetics of the car not the speed, maybe you have a tough time getting girls to like you or something? In my opinion, your girlfriend shouldn't necessarily admire your car, it should scare the pants off of her. There is such thing as free horsepower and no matter how big your rims are or how many stickers you have on your car, you wont have all the power you can get unless you utilize it. Keep it real man and remember there is no shame in driving in the right lane.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:30 PM
2060lbs and falling...

It makes sense to me that y-pipe would burn more gas at WOT or even regular RPM range. Y-Pipe allows the engine to breath easier, meaning that air passes through the engine more easily. MAF sensor reads how much air is flowing through the intake and the ecu reacts by giving the engine a certain amound of fuel to make the correct air/fuel ratio. Y-Pip isn't for fuel economy.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually it is. Imagine trying to blow though a coffee stir straw and then though a normal sized straw. Which is easier? Which is more efficent? Takes less hp to move the car to and at speed. Thus increasing efficency/mileage. The situation you mention is at WOT conditions only. Even then compare WOT though the above example.

Originally Posted by broaner22
It makes sense to me that y-pipe would burn more gas at WOT or even regular RPM range. Y-Pipe allows the engine to breath easier, meaning that air passes through the engine more easily. MAF sensor reads how much air is flowing through the intake and the ecu reacts by giving the engine a certain amound of fuel to make the correct air/fuel ratio. Y-Pip isn't for fuel economy.
Old 09-17-2003, 02:07 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

to all you guys who are comparing Porsches to Maximas; Your right im sorry, there is replacement for dispacement ITS A 150,000$ 911 turbo, how could i be so stupid.
You're such a moron. You don't seriously beleive that this disputes what I said in any way do you? There are cheaper examples (uhhhhhhhh WRX) if you want them. My point was that there are plenty of cars that "shouldn't" be fast but can be made so with a little work and cash (uhh Civic). This isn't the musclecar era anymore where you had a 427 in a giant Impala, this is the import era, where you have 9 second Civics...wake up.

Oh and BTW, I didn't say anything about the 911 Turbo. For a dude who can't even keep his Porsche's straight you sure talk a lot of **** about cars.

Preludes and Mustangs arent that fast either, my car isn't faster but thats not what it was made for. 13 sec. is fast, really fast but not nearly fast enough for the money that it takes to get there. My buddy has an iroc with a high stall converter and exhaust that runs a 13.6; grand total 2,650$, thats fast.
You have a 5 speed and your car isn't faster than stangs or preludes? You must be a crappy driver.

FYI, my car isn't heavily modded at all, but I don't see why you feel the need to **** on people for modding the Max. Fast sedans have been around since the musclecar era that you're obviously stuck in, Mr. Displacement.

EDIT: And one more thing. The difference between your friend's hunk of **** and the Max is that we have a decent interior and our cars will still be rust free and running after 200,000 miles. Add to that that I don't have to drive around in a ****ing IROC....I'd pay the 3 grand for the turbo kit just to avoid driving that ugly-*** piece.
Old 09-17-2003, 06:24 PM
SXN

to all you guys who are comparing Porsches to Maximas; Your right im sorry, there is replacement for dispacement ITS A 150,000$ 911 turbo, how could i be so stupid.
stock sti, regular wrx, lancer evo or srt4 has a smaller engine but is faster than the 3 liter maxima engine. the smaller s2000 engine makes more power, even without a turbo. how could you be so stupid? i really dont know
Old 09-17-2003, 07:45 PM

Well the cars you named have several things to their advantage. Let's not be so quick to bash the VQ. The first 3, AWD+turbo. The 4th, turbo. The 5th, excellent gearing. The Max has none of these. What the Max does have, however, is an excellent engine that can take mucho abuse. What bothers me the most out of those three things is the gearing. 4th is an overdrive gear.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
stock sti, regular wrx, lancer evo or srt4 has a smaller engine but is faster than the 3 liter maxima engine. the smaller s2000 engine makes more power, even without a turbo. how could you be so stupid? i really dont know
Ok fine, take your little p*ssy whip cars, jam as much psi and nos that you can down their throats and let 'em sound like a whistle goin down the quarter. I am sure they look great on paper too, until they explode, but they'll never have the feel of a real car. and dont give me anymore sh*t for knockin on maximas, cause im not, there awesome cars and you can beet the balony out of em.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:54 AM

Ok fine, take your little p*ssy whip cars, jam as much psi and nos that you can down their throats and let 'em sound like a whistle goin down the quarter. I am sure they look great on paper too, until they explode, but they'll never have the feel of a real car. and dont give me anymore sh*t for knockin on maximas, cause im not, there awesome cars and you can beet the balony out of em.
apparently, you have never heard the note coming out of any of those cars. The scooby is surely mean sounding for a 4 banger, and boy does it drive nice .
Old 09-19-2003, 11:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maxcross
Well, you could hack off your exhaust, or just be a he-***** in your spare time. That way, you won't really be concerned with money...diseases yes, but money, nope!

hhahahahahaha... he *****? thats some funny ****.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by maxcross
apparently, you have never heard the note coming out of any of those cars. The scooby is surely mean sounding for a 4 banger, and boy does it drive nice .
You've obviously never heard the note of a big block with a cam and any type of exhaust. You must be about as sharp as a bag of marbles if you think a 4 banger sounds nice.
Old 09-19-2003, 01:48 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

You've obviously never heard the note of a big block with a cam and any type of exhaust. You must be about as sharp as a bag of marbles if you think a 4 banger sounds nice.
Can't argue with that.

Don't get me wrnog, I'm a huge fan of displacement, just to say that there's no way to get power without it is dumb nowadays...and the IROC hasn't been cool since the 80s ended.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:03 PM

LOL, good one!

I own a Max, but it definitely doesnt give me the goosebumps a V8 does
Old 09-20-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by endus
Can't argue with that.

Don't get me wrnog, I'm a huge fan of displacement, just to say that there's no way to get power without it is dumb nowadays...and the IROC hasn't been cool since the 80s ended.
Your right, but i didn't say there wasnt a way to get hp otherwise. There alterior means of hp i just don't really like 'em. To race with a small engine and go really fast, you need to do some drastic things to the car. When i said there is no replacement for displacement, i was talking about having serious naturally asperated hp. none of this 10 thousand rpm 2 liter triple turbo trash. and as for an IROC being cool, it depends on what you think cool is. if you think cool is spending 3,000 bucks to run a 13.6 @99.7, blowin mean downuts and doin a 150 mph than the IROC-Z is for you but if you dont want to look like you just came from a twisted sister concert than maybe a more modern ride is up your ally.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:49 PM

Mulletville, USA.
Old 09-22-2003, 02:38 PM
SXN

the wrx sounds a lot better than many v8s, especially new v8s... and thats a fair comparison, new I4s against new v8s, yea 60s-70s v8s sounded great (and some new cars do after exhaust tweaks) but u cant dip into the era of smog exemption without expecting some obvious changes... comparing apples and oranges
Old 09-22-2003, 03:22 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by SXN
the wrx sounds a lot better than many v8s, especially new v8s... and thats a fair comparison, new I4s against new v8s, yea 60s-70s v8s sounded great (and some new cars do after exhaust tweaks) but u cant dip into the era of smog exemption without expecting some obvious changes... comparing apples and oranges
VQ is best, end of story! Notice that best does not imply "faster". And about the new evo lancer, wrx sti, and these type of cars...please don't bother. I'm not going to bash them because obviously they're fast and so far good performance cars, but after all, it's only Subaru and only Mitsubishi. Say all you want, but these two have never been good in manufacturing cars when compared to say nissan or toyota or others alike.

My friend has a wrx that is all tuned up because he takes it to rallies and is very very good. Although 4wd, turbo, etc etc...here a list of things I hate about both the evo and the wrx for instance:

1) Ugly (especially the wrx...WTF is with the front headlights? Those have got to be the ugliest headlights on by far any import!). I'm sorry, I just don't dig the looks of these two and I know many people don't either. The body style simply sucks...I guess it's not modernized enough like say the new 350Z, which blows these two away with its looks, period! Plus...say you're going to a little more upscale place...99% of people would rather pull up in a car like a Maxima than a freakin small @ss, boxy-looking wrx or evo...looks stupid.

2) Very unreliable! Believe it or not, lots of things break down fast in these cars. People don't know that yet cause these cars have not been around for long, but they will find out soon. My friend's manual tranny on that WRX gave out after only a few races...and they say it's a monster rally performing car...yeah...but that's only in the pros! Other stuff like door handles, seats, and dash-board components start squeeking very early on and OMG compared to even the stiffest Maxima SE out there, driving a WRX is like riding a shockless bicycle...rediculous!

3) Lastly, I'm not all that impressed with performance. I've seen these cars at the tracks and must say that it's nothing special. I mean yeah so the STI has around 300 hp but is that so magnificant, considering that it's a small, light, factory turbo-charged automobile? Perhaps it is...but note that many 4-cyl cars out there could pull the same, if not better numbers, than these two if they were also factory turbo-charged along with other "miner" factory modifications. Think about it...if say Civic SI came turbo-charged and slightly modified in other areas, I bet it would be just as fast.

In the end, those cars just don't do for me.

I to VQ's and Maximas!

Old 09-22-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
No, oranges nor apples have exaust. We've been arguing cars the whole time, comparing men's cars and 4 cylinders. We've been talking about the numbers that each pull, interior and prices. So i think its quite valid to talk about the growl/whistle that they produce and i dont think there are too many big blocks produced in modern cars today if you havent checked lately. Though, I'll take the sound of a 5.9L over a 2....whatever any day.
Old 09-22-2003, 05:43 PM
SXN

No, oranges nor apples have exaust.
but maybe they should
you know whats sounds better than ANY of your "men's cars" and is faster? a sport motorcycle. smaller engine, no vtec, turbo OR nos... no replacement for displacement? how about gear ratios and weight?
Old 09-22-2003, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
but maybe they should
you know whats sounds better than ANY of your "men's cars" and is faster? a sport motorcycle. smaller engine, no vtec, turbo OR nos... no replacement for displacement? how about gear ratios and weight?
I was the first to recomend getting a bike if you wanted speed if you dont recall. It was in reply to slammed95's ignorance. and about weight and gear ratios, Dodge built a car called the 330 dart in 1964 that had a 426 big block with 727 tran. and 3.91's in back. it ran a 12.9 stock! that was 40 years ago. Read and you will learn. And as for sound, 13 grand sounds cool but not nearly as nice as 500 rpms on a big block. Oh and a bike isn't a car either or we would be comparing rocket ships and jet plains too.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:13 PM

The STi is no lightweight. Over 3200 lbs. Kinda porky if you ask me.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:15 PM
SXN

I was the first to recomend getting a bike if you wanted speed if you dont recall. It was in reply to slammed95's ignorance. and about weight and gear ratios, Dodge built a car called the 330 dart in 1964 that had a 426 big block with 727 tran. and 3.91's in back. it ran a 12.9 stock! that was 40 years ago. Read and you will learn. And as for sound, 13 grand sounds cool but not nearly as nice as 500 rpms on a big block. Oh and a bike isn't a car either or we would be comparing rocket ships and jet plains too.
i know we are talking about cars and not rocket ships... also i HAVE heard about darts, my friend has a dart swinger and ive driven a 330. u dont need a 426 to run 12.9s and u dont need a big block to sound good

Quick Reply: How can i get free horse-power?!!!!!