4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can i get free horse-power?!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 06:00 PM

How can i get free horse-power?!!!!!

I need it now and i need it cheap. I have a 96 5spd max, ive cut the air box but htats about it. any ideas?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:07 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

clean ur throttle body, uh.... theres no REAL free horsepower
Old 09-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 5spdFastMax
I need it now and i need it cheap. I have a 96 5spd max, ive cut the air box but htats about it. any ideas?
Tune-up! If you have'nt done so already. You'll be suprised.

Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
PCV valve
Coolant
Transmission Fluid
and any other maintenance due depending on your mileage.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Midknight MAXX
Tune-up! If you have'nt done so already. You'll be suprised.

Fuel Filter
Spark Plugs
PCV valve
Coolant
Transmission Fluid
and any other maintenance due depending on your mileage.

yeah, ive done most of that. thanks for your post though, i appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:36 PM
Old Maxima Legend

weight reduction ... example back seat 30 pounds and that metal plate behind it 6 pounds ..toss all that out ...yank out the passenger seat that what 50 pounds ? toss out all amps, subs, speaker boxes when i took out my system i cut 75 pounds off the weight, burn the floor mats 10 pounds, chunk out the head rest 3 pounds .. anyways thats about as free as it gets ! lol
Old 09-14-2003, 06:43 PM
BOSS

yes you CAN free up hp. I think that the only way to truly free up hp is to get an underdrive pulley (best probably being the "Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley"). It's been stressed over and over again that you do not gain hp with this mod, but instead you free some of it - between 5-7 hp. How come you ask? Well, from what I have read it seems that it is the ONLY mod for a Maxima, which frees up hp with no downside, or simply put, at the cost of nothing. Few examples: at WOT (especially at WOT) and high RPM, the y-pipe frees up hp but at the same time your car burns more gas than it would at WOT without the y-pipe so in the end it does not really FREE UP hp, instead, you GAIN hp. Get what I mean? Pulley mod gives free hp!

Old 09-14-2003, 06:45 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
weight reduction ... example back seat 30 pounds and that metal plate behind it 6 pounds ..toss all that out ...yank out the passenger seat that what 50 pounds ? toss out all amps, subs, speaker boxes when i took out my system i cut 75 pounds off the weight, burn the floor mats 10 pounds, chunk out the head rest 3 pounds .. anyways thats about as free as it gets ! lol
Yeah....true...I forgot to mention that but I guess it's an obvious! I meant freeing hp without removing necessary things like back seats lol.

Old 09-14-2003, 07:13 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BOSS
yes you CAN free up hp. I think that the only way to truly free up hp is to get an underdrive pulley (best probably being the "Unorthodox Underdrive Pulley"). It's been stressed over and over again that you do not gain hp with this mod, but instead you free some of it - between 5-7 hp. How come you ask? Well, from what I have read it seems that it is the ONLY mod for a Maxima, which frees up hp with no downside, or simply put, at the cost of nothing. Few examples: at WOT (especially at WOT) and high RPM, the y-pipe frees up hp but at the same time your car burns more gas than it would at WOT without the y-pipe so in the end it does not really FREE UP hp, instead, you GAIN hp. Get what I mean? Pulley mod gives free hp!
underdrive does have some draw backs, makes less voltage for the car. if your running a system, or lots of interior lights, its a bad plan. in general our engines need very good voltage to make power. why would a Y pipe burn up more gas? its part of the exhaust and has nothing to do with the ammount of gas going into the engine. plenty of mods dont have a down side...
Old 09-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Tha Snatcher

Free horsepower?? PRAY.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:19 PM

Well, you could hack off your exhaust, or just be a he-***** in your spare time. That way, you won't really be concerned with money...diseases yes, but money, nope!
Old 09-14-2003, 07:22 PM
SXN

thats how to get money, not free HP... also being a man-*****/he-biotch is still technically illegal, keep trying
Old 09-14-2003, 07:54 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

a UDP isnt FREE lol
Old 09-14-2003, 08:38 PM

Add some stickers, that'll give you horse power
Old 09-14-2003, 09:12 PM

-Hack a big hole in your stock airbox and remove the stock snorkel intake restriction that costs HP
-Plug off your EGR vacuum line
-Block off the PCV lines to your throttle body and put breather valves on
-Gut out your catalytic converters
-Run the JC Half Whitney $39 exhaust cutout after the stock Y pipe. It allows you to pull a cable and run open exhaust for track and return to full exhaust for street.

As you can see,some of these permanently change the part in question or cost a small amount of money.

Come on fellas any more hairbrained bypass schemes or cheap mods?
Old 09-14-2003, 09:17 PM
SXN

dont gut your cat...will barely gain any power and its pretty terrible for the environment
Old 09-14-2003, 10:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

If there's no emission is your State, why dont you replace your CAT with a Racing Straight Pipe. It gives the car like around 10 horsepower, and it costs less than $100!!! You can find one at www.custommaxima.com or you can check out ebay.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:28 AM
V^___^V

there is no such thing as "free horsepower". to get more HP is thru airflow, which requires mod. reducing weight, cleaning your throttle, change ur O2 and sparks and so on helps your engine to perform at top condition. yet your VQ will only produce 190HP and 205 torque...

i just want to clarify the definition of "horsepower" a bit that's all... no flames
Old 09-15-2003, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by wariow
hahahahhahaah

go here!!!
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...39_14_full.jpg
Old 09-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Port your intake runners...

Old 09-15-2003, 06:30 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by KensMax97
If there's no emission is your State, why dont you replace your CAT with a Racing Straight Pipe. It gives the car like around 10 horsepower, and it costs less than $100!!! You can find one at www.custommaxima.com or you can check out ebay.

this is dyno proven to add only 1 - 2 horsepower
Old 09-15-2003, 06:40 AM

Rip apart your interior leaving only the drivers seat (and everything else needed to operate the car). Its said that every 100 lbs will give you about .1 off your 1/4.
Old 09-15-2003, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by BOSS
You seem to have missed the idea. He wants a poor man's upgrade. UDP's cost money, and he wants free power (aka no money). Ohh, and there is a downside that I think someone else already mentioned: you run the risk of not cranking the alternator fully and therefore not charging the battery fully.
Old 09-15-2003, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by wariow
Not a chance
Old 09-15-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
this is dyno proven to add only 1 - 2 horsepower
there is definitly emission control in my state. My friend got sent to jail and a 1k fine for not having a cat. there were other altercations but they take it pretty seriously here in old town massachusetts. But its not that that im worried about its the noise factor and wether or not i lose too much back pressure.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:32 AM

Wow, i'm actually very suprised...
noone mentioned easy ways to free horsepower such as
removing ac (all components)
removing power steerting (all components)
you should see very good gains from doing this
remember removing powersteering on a heavy car like this requires a little more muscle at the wheel
we did this to my friends 91se and we noticed a good difference in horsepower. He did note that he had to make SURE the car was in 2nd gear when turning (which is what it's supposed to be in anyhow) woot gl with modding

Don't forget to use PREMIUM GAS AT ALL TIMES!!!
Old 09-15-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by slammed95
This thread demonstrates the cheapness of so many maxima owners on this board. You gotta pay to play.
If you dont take advantage of the free horse power first you already been wasting your money trying to make it faster. Theres nothing wrong with adding a personal touch to get the upper hand on the car beside you (expensive or not), remember this car was designed as a family sedan not a race car, there are altercations you can make w/out spending a lot of cash. But speed probably isn't what your concerned with "slammed95" is it. I am willing to bet you've put a majority of your or your fathers money into the cosmetics of the car not the speed, maybe you have a tough time getting girls to like you or something? In my opinion, your girlfriend shouldn't necessarily admire your car, it should scare the pants off of her. There is such thing as free horsepower and no matter how big your rims are or how many stickers you have on your car, you wont have all the power you can get unless you utilize it. Keep it real man and remember there is no shame in driving in the right lane.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:32 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

there is definitly emission control in my state. My friend got sent to jail and a 1k fine for not having a cat. there were other altercations but they take it pretty seriously here in old town massachusetts. But its not that that im worried about its the noise factor and wether or not i lose too much back pressure.

it will be louder, and u dont have to worry about losing back pressure whoever said backpressure is good is lying through their teeth, plus the exhaust system will retain back pressure regardless due to its many bends dont worry so much about now retaining back pressure, u dont want alot of it, its not ur friend
Old 09-15-2003, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
it will be louder, and u dont have to worry about losing back pressure whoever said backpressure is good is lying through their teeth, plus the exhaust system will retain back pressure regardless due to its many bends dont worry so much about now retaining back pressure, u dont want alot of it, its not ur friend

NO backpressure is a bad thing. Your motor needs some backpressure to run effectivly. You don't want a lot, but a little will help with your low end. Obviously opening up the exhaust shows hp gains, and lowers the backpressure. But it also moves your peak up in the rpms. The less backpressure, the higher it goes until it becomes unusable on the street.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:08 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by JdawgX
NO backpressure is a bad thing. Your motor needs some backpressure to run effectivly. You don't want a lot, but a little will help with your low end. Obviously opening up the exhaust shows hp gains, and lowers the backpressure. But it also moves your peak up in the rpms. The less backpressure, the higher it goes until it becomes unusable on the street.

and most races are won and lost in the top end, not the low end but dont get me wrong i do agree a lil backpressure is good, but the way the exhaust is run u can't alleviate all backpressure regardless
Old 09-15-2003, 02:11 PM

Moving your power band higher is fine, as long as you pay attention to your gearing and make sure that you can keep the car in the power effectivly. However, NO backpressure will move it much to high on our cars with stock gearing to be able to use it. So haveing some still remains a good thing.
Old 09-15-2003, 02:18 PM
Kevlo for President

turn the a/c off
Old 09-15-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
dont gut your cat...will barely gain any power and its pretty terrible for the environment
But seriously, if we were all so concerned about the environment would we even be driving cars?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:45 PM
SXN

This thread demonstrates the cheapness of so many maxima owners on this board. You gotta pay to play.
your modifying an expensive vehicle... there are some things you can kinda do for cheap, but dont cheap out on the mods.. your not going to make much power without spending a little. stickers and spending tons of time porting your headers are also reliable ways of getting 40-50 horsepower
Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

pull ure muffler off
Old 09-15-2003, 07:10 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by venompwr2
But seriously, if we were all so concerned about the environment would we even be driving cars?
blah blah blah...for 1-2 horsepower, why do it? and yea i do drive a car, but ive decided to drive something fun but not gas guzzling... atleast im not driving a 60s muscle car or a Excursion
Old 09-15-2003, 07:11 PM

Oh my god, honestly is 190 hp too little for you? I had a 115hp jetta before this and I have decide that 190 is all i need. Im keeping my car near stock, also adding mods tends to decrease the calue of a car in some cases
Old 09-15-2003, 09:50 PM

"I need it now and i need it cheap" It was evident that you're a dumbsh*t from the first post, but I guess you just had to prove it.

I never said there's anything wrong with "personal touches", but that's different than doing some ghetto azz mods. Considering the fact that I had every bolt-on possible besides the MEVI on my car before getting the Stillen kit and new paint, I'm hardly more into cosmetics. Have you spent $700 just to shave 40lbs. off you're car? Probably not.

I don't have to prove the fact that my car is quick, many modded 5 speeds owners have seen my taillights more than once. Even boosted maxima drivers have been surprised to see me hanging with them.

BTW, I have never spent a single penny of my parent's money on my ride, and I have no problem getting girls to like me.

Now go suck a d!ck and get a civic.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:03 PM

In regards to Slammed95's comments

The reason im not putting too much money into my maxima is because ITS NOT A RACECAR. Its a fairly quik fairly sharp looking sports sedan. Now dont get me wrong its a great car but it is what it is. If you bought your maxima for speed "slammed95" than you have no idea what speed and power is about. No matter how many bolt ons you, or someone else, put on your car its never gonna be that fast. There is no replacement for displacement. Now don't get your panties tied in a not. Just breath deep, count to ten and go watch the fast and the furious again. There is hope for you yet, with all that money you have layin around maybe you could go buy some ***** to be attached between your legs and get rid of those second pair of lips you got there you f*ckin nancy.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:28 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

The reason im not putting too much money into my maxima is because ITS NOT A RACECAR. Its a fairly quik fairly sharp looking sports sedan. Now dont get me wrong its a great car but it is what it is. If you bought your maxima for speed "slammed95" than you have no idea what speed and power is about. No matter how many bolt ons you, or someone else, put on your car its never gonna be that fast. There is no replacement for displacement. Now don't get your panties tied in a not. Just breath deep, count to ten and go watch the fast and the furious again. There is hope for you yet, with all that money you have layin around maybe you could go buy some ***** to be attached between your legs and get rid of those second pair of lips you got there you f*ckin nancy.
thats gotta be the funniest **** i've ever heard, with mere bolt-ons the maxi can run high 13's
Old 09-16-2003, 01:48 PM
An atavistic endeavor...

No matter how many bolt ons you, or someone else, put on your car its never gonna be that fast. There is no replacement for displacement..
What is "that fast"?

Is beating non-cobra mustangs "that fast"?

Is smoking Preludes "that fast"?

Is raping low end, ****ty bimmers "that fast"?

And what the **** is there's no replacement for displacement supposed to mean? What are you, 75 years old? I just read an article about federalizing the old Porsche 959 (http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=09282484). That car has a ~2.8L engine, less than ours, and cranks out about 450HP stock. In the process of federalizing it they modified it to produce close to 600HP...LESS DISPLACEMENT THAN OUR CAR.

Of course the Max is never going to run with Ferraris or Z06s and ****, but it's is all relative. Nothing is more fun than smoking cheap "sports cars" that are slow as **** in a "family sedan". You probably think the M5 is slow because it has 4 doors.

What a dumbass comment.

Quick Reply: How can i get free horse-power?!!!!!