4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How can i get free horse-power?!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 06:33 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

I still don't agree with the way you talk about turbos and the methods of getting more HP out of smaller displacement engines. It's really not that big a deal. My buddy has a Jetta 1.8T and just got about 40HP off of a chip. a ___CHIP___ gave him that big a bump...and that's only stage 1. That's cheaper power than you're probably going to get out of modding any large engine.

Besides that Turbos and Superchargers are good ****. You'
re talking out of your *** when you criticize that stuff because that stuff has been a staple of making big power in racing and in street cars for a long time.

The other thing you have to remember is that most of those IROC type joints handle like a ****ing bus. If you're interested in doing more than going in a straight line really fast you need to start thinking about weight. I hate to even SAY this but the Mitsubishi Evo beat out a whole ****load of supercars in slalom speed in a recent test...I'm talking Diablos, Ferrari, Z06.

Straight drag racing is okay but it's not my cup of tea. GT and rally racing are MUCH MUCH more interesting to watch, and driving with corners is MUCH MUCH more interesting to do. Drag racing is cool for speed, but most people want to corner too and those giant american garbage-mobiles like the IROC don't do that too well.

The thing is that both sides are right here. You just have a prejudice against cars with small engines. I would never buy a 4 cylinder either, but that has *nothing* to do with how fast or how good they are. You can get cheap power if you get the right car, they last as long or longer than the larger engines being produced and overall they power cars that are just as fast.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:14 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by endus
Straight drag racing is okay but it's not my cup of tea. GT and rally racing are MUCH MUCH more interesting to watch, and driving with corners is MUCH MUCH more interesting to do. Drag racing is cool for speed, but most people want to corner too and those giant american garbage-mobiles like the IROC don't do that too well.
wait um....you actually want to TURN in your car? 5spdFastMax
even u said we're not talking about race cars, or incredibly expensive cars...daily drivers turn and handle better than a dragster... a ****ing Desoto with 24 inch rims would handle better than a top fueler. smaller engines weigh less, and vtec, turbo, superchargers, etc are amazing ways of making power without having a huge iron block. a turbo/ super charger just pushes more air into an engine, its not like you have the boost the hell out of a car to make it powerful
Old 09-23-2003, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
even u said we're not talking about race cars, or incredibly expensive cars...daily drivers turn and handle better than a dragster... a ****ing Desoto with 24 inch rims would handle better than a top fueler. smaller engines weigh less, and vtec, turbo, superchargers, etc are amazing ways of making power without having a huge iron block. a turbo/ super charger just pushes more air into an engine, its not like you have the boost the hell out of a car to make it powerful
Your right, and when i argue against the smaller engines,Im not saying only one is faster than the other and turbos etc. aren't reasonable means of power. i was mostly talkng about personal preference. each car has it's specific qualities and functions. Hell the srt 4 is pullin stock 13s thats f*cking nasty. I love mopar products but i still dont think id want to spend 20grand on a front wheel 4 cylinder. It just doesnt have the right feel to me, always winding the **** out of it and tourque steer, its not my bag. I think you should def. improve the performance of your car but only if its car appropriate. A maxima doesn't need a turbo, it wasn't built to have one and if you want that kind of pull get a car thats made for it. And if you want a real lot of power and speed and dont have outrageous amounts of money im stickin to my guns. You can't get a reasonable 300 -400 hp with out all eight cylinders. The smaller engines have a glass ceiling on reasonable hp and speed. sure theyll get some good 60' and 1/4 mile times but they dont have highway and everyday driving power.
Old 09-23-2003, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

also consider going on a diet
Old 09-23-2003, 06:00 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by maxNYC
also consider going on a diet
i think we're well beyond the whole free hp discussion
Old 09-23-2003, 06:15 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

Originally Posted by SXN
i do not think vtec's are a form of boost or powermakers. It does let you though have your power you already ahve all though out your rev.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:30 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
i do not think vtec's are a form of boost or powermakers. It does let you though have your power you already ahve all though out your rev.
yes but a vtec is a good way of gaining power. think of the NSX, no turbo and a very fast japanese super car. i would call vtec a power maker (guess what our mevi is imitating)
Old 09-23-2003, 06:35 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

what is vtec, variable valve electronic timing control. It si where the valves can open and shut according to how much throddle is being used. It is not a power maker. it is more a power helper which helps manger the car to get the most effective use of it power, it does not make any.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:39 PM
SXN

regular cars dont have it (non boosted cars dont have turbos or supers, stock cars dont have racing Y pipes and stuff) its a power maker... if its just that common and effective, why doesnt every single automotive maker put them on their cars? And it does make power...it allows more intake and exhaust at higher throttle and RPM, thats more power