4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

MD POLICE just gave me a REPAIR ORDER for having 35% tints and HID Lights WTF!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2001, 08:09 PM

I just got pulled over in a parking lot for having hiper white HID 9004 Lights, and 35% tints, which is legal in Maryland. he said he could have also written me up for having aftermarket foglights. and a sticker on my car. My fogs werent even on. i have to get tints removed or proved legal.. do maxima's come with stock tints?? like a little? cause then it wouldnt be 35%.
anways this sux..... show your opinion on this! i think its bs! he said anythign aftermarket is illegal, and he said only expensive cars like bmw and audi and sh*t can have the cool HID lightss!!!!!!!!
pissed!
Old 02-12-2001, 08:16 PM
JonH in Philly

I f you want to be sure of the legal limits for yourself and for a non-baised answer, check with your local AAA office you can walk in or call them they have books on what the legal limits are for tinting in every state & what auxillary lights you can have on the car.

Old 02-12-2001, 08:19 PM

Lol,

sounds like this cop was talking out his butt. If you bought a good set of headlights that were DOT standard, they should be street legal. Most headlights will say this or not on the box, so check em out. As for the tints, if your local laws make em illegal, you might be screwed =/ ..
Old 02-12-2001, 08:22 PM

Maryland TINT Laws state that 35% is legal, but what if the car is pretinted? is it?
Old 02-12-2001, 08:38 PM

MD legal tint is 35%. I've gotten away with 20% so far, even after getting my car searched by the police. Best thing to do, is go to the MVA early in the morning and have your tint "certified" by the automotive enforcement trooper who is only there early in the morning. He will go outside with a light meter and test your car.

What is illegal about the stickers? From what I'm told, stickers on the front window are illegal even though I have had one for a very long time. Lets see that means I have illegal tint, clear fronts, blue rewired corners, Y pipe illegal about my car.
Old 02-12-2001, 08:43 PM

where in md u from eric?
Old 02-13-2001, 07:01 AM

Wow, at least tint is legal. In NJ, the deal is that any aftermarket tint (any professional job or DIY job) is illegal but they dont care 1 bit about it. Another thing about lights, amber or white fog lights are legal. Any kind of aftermarket blue, red, etc are illegal unless you are smokey the bear (firefighter) or a pig (5-0). I've also been told that those Ion blue and HID looks lights really arent legal. People just really cant tell and the fact that majority of cars have them. Information came straight up from several NJ state troopers.
Old 02-13-2001, 07:25 AM

Factory tint

When I went to the first place to get mine done, they said they would only put on something like 20 or 25% film because combined with the factory tint, then you would have 35%. So I said forget that and went to another place. But I guess if you get technical, 35% + whatver factory tint is would be illegal.
Old 02-13-2001, 08:49 AM

your Hiper bulbs aren't DOT approved, so they're not legal for street use. YOu can turn them on in your garage, though
Old 02-13-2001, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by Synki
Wow, at least tint is legal. In NJ, the deal is that any aftermarket tint (any professional job or DIY job) is illegal but they dont care 1 bit about it. Another thing about lights, amber or white fog lights are legal. Any kind of aftermarket blue, red, etc are illegal unless you are smokey the bear (firefighter) or a pig (5-0). I've also been told that those Ion blue and HID looks lights really arent legal. People just really cant tell and the fact that majority of cars have them. Information came straight up from several NJ state troopers.

not 100% true, Tint is legal... Just not on the front drivers and passanger windows. According to the NJ Laws you can tint the hell out of your back and 2 rear windows. But you're right, they really dont care, especially where I live (knock on wood). My tint appiontment is in 3 weeks, getting full limo tint
Old 02-13-2001, 04:34 PM

Well, tint is only legal if you have it on the rear doors and rear window, not any of the fronts. I'm not sure how dark you can make them though.

Since you mention your "HID" headlights, I don't know of any DOT approved bulb which claims it has "HID" output. Not even the Piaa Superwhites. So, I'm guessing you have a non DOT approved brand, in which case they would be illegal.

Old 02-13-2001, 05:44 PM

That 5 was a player hater.

Should of told him not to hate the player, but to hate the game. Damn that sux. I just got my tint 20% all the way around, with strips across the top n bottom of the windshield today. I live in dirty Jersey and its illegal for the fronts and windshield. That HID bit sounds lame too, that cop was on a real power trip. No love for the 5.0 (except a few, yah I said it.). Get the facts and stick them up his B pipe.
I heard this joke: A guy got a new car. He got pulled over at a redlight for tint. The cop was on horseback to top it off. Anyway the copper says did that tint come with the car and the dude says yes. The cop then says well tell the dealership to leave it off next time. So the guy realizes this is stupid and asks the cop if he got his horse from a horse breeder. The cop says yeah, thinking to himself this guy is an idiot. So the guy says well tell the breeders to to put the **** underneath of the horse next time. HAHAHAHA, I know not funny, sorry, I'm bored, it will never happen again.
Old 02-13-2001, 06:32 PM

LOL
Old 02-13-2001, 08:15 PM
maxima

Originally posted by duplex
I just got pulled over in a parking lot for having hiper white HID 9004 Lights, and 35% tints, which is legal in Maryland. he said he could have also written me up for having aftermarket foglights. and a sticker on my car. My fogs werent even on. i have to get tints removed or proved legal.. do maxima's come with stock tints?? like a little? cause then it wouldnt be 35%.
anways this sux..... show your opinion on this! i think its bs! he said anythign aftermarket is illegal, and he said only expensive cars like bmw and audi and sh*t can have the cool HID lightss!!!!!!!!
pissed!
WHAT DID U THINK THAT THEY WERE GOING TO GIVE YOU A COOKIE DAMM U STUPID THE BEST THINK TO DO WOULD BE TO RUN U DRIVE MAXIMA DONT SAY YOUR SCARED U ***** YOUR NOT GOING TO BE IN THIS CLUB ANYMORE ASSO

Old 02-13-2001, 08:22 PM

STFU u maxima hater
Old 02-13-2001, 08:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

that sux man... I guess I'm not going to be driving in NJ after dark >>>
Old 02-14-2001, 05:35 PM

Tint

I also live in MD and when I did my tinting the guy told me that there was a manufacturer tint (can't remember the number) and that he would put on a tint which would get me to 35%. He also told me to keep the work order in the car so that if I get pulled over I could prove I was legal. They just wanted an excuse to do a "visual search" on your car and run your plate. It's all crap.
Old 02-14-2001, 06:45 PM

Re: Tint

Originally posted by finkasaur
I also live in MD and when I did my tinting the guy told me that there was a manufacturer tint (can't remember the number) and that he would put on a tint which would get me to 35%. He also told me to keep the work order in the car so that if I get pulled over I could prove I was legal. They just wanted an excuse to do a "visual search" on your car and run your plate. It's all crap.
Well where in MD u live?? he didnt search my car.. he just told me to take it off!
Old 02-20-2001, 08:46 PM
maxima

duplex

STFU u maxima hater
SUCK A **** U ****ING ********** JUST BECAUSE YOU GOT A MAXIMA DOESNT MEAN THAT YOU ARE ON TOP OF THE WORLD ASSO WHO THE **** YOU THINK YOUR TALKING TO **********ER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2001, 09:30 PM
TommyBoiSxty9

35 maybe legal but...

u have to remember your windows are not PERFECTLY clear from the factory most have UV protection/tint type stuff
and the measure meant has to be dont on ur window witha light meter.... so 35% + facory = screwed

Old 02-23-2001, 07:34 AM

I just went to the state police to get em checked, it was 34.6% and he let it go, so i got lucky!
Old 02-23-2001, 09:31 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm

pissed!

Do not pay the tickets or remove your tint & lights.... go to court...
It would be good if you have a receipt or something like that from a tint shop that did your tint (if it was a shop?)..... I was at pepboys the other day and I saw a huge banner at the isle where the bulbs and stuff is sold, the banner said 100% street legal, I think they HID's there too.. I'd get a photograph of that.
The cop is definately full of sh--... I'm riding around NYC with 20% tint, tint is pretty much illegal here, the legal percentage is like 70% I think? I had no problems so far.

About certain cars being allowed HID lights, thats some ********, what makes them legal on those cars but illegal on Nissans, they share the same roads and pass the same inspections so they should follow same laws. About the fogs, you should look at the state laws, some states don't allow fogs of certain color bulbs..

I dunno man, seems like the cop definately wanted to pick on someone, and just chose you. Also, don't cops need to have some sort of tint % measuring thing to determine exact percentage.
Old 02-23-2001, 09:39 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hahaha, thats good :laugh: n/m

Originally posted by BRIGBOY
Should of told him not to hate the player, but to hate the game. Damn that sux. I just got my tint 20% all the way around, with strips across the top n bottom of the windshield today. I live in dirty Jersey and its illegal for the fronts and windshield. That HID bit sounds lame too, that cop was on a real power trip. No love for the 5.0 (except a few, yah I said it.). Get the facts and stick them up his B pipe.
I heard this joke: A guy got a new car. He got pulled over at a redlight for tint. The cop was on horseback to top it off. Anyway the copper says did that tint come with the car and the dude says yes. The cop then says well tell the dealership to leave it off next time. So the guy realizes this is stupid and asks the cop if he got his horse from a horse breeder. The cop says yeah, thinking to himself this guy is an idiot. So the guy says well tell the breeders to to put the **** underneath of the horse next time. HAHAHAHA, I know not funny, sorry, I'm bored, it will never happen again.
Old 02-24-2001, 06:54 AM

Re: Re: Tint

I live in Gaithersburg.

Well where in MD u live?? he didnt search my car.. he just told me to take it off! [/I]
Old 02-24-2001, 09:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Tint

Originally posted by finkasaur
I live in Gaithersburg.

Well where in MD u live?? he didnt search my car.. he just told me to take it off!
[/I]
What's your maxima? what color, what do you have done to it? i live in rockville!