4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

groan noise on braking

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 11:39 AM

groan noise on braking

When I am braking, I hear a groaning noise as the wheels slow to a stop. This happened after I changed my brake pads(carbon metallic Performance Friction), resurfaced rotors(69k miles), and changed my driver side cv shaft. I'm suspecting that the cv halfshaft is making the noise. Does anybody else have any insight?

Maybe I'm better off with ceramic oem pads? Maybe cv halfshaft is bad. I don't know but it's annoying.

I'm pretty sure it's not my tires either because I had plenty of tread on them. The problem started after I changed out my cv axle and started using Performance Friction Carbon Metallic pads. I did both the same day. And yes I did get an alignment after all this.
Although my other drive axle cv boot went bad too 2 weeks later.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:35 PM

I have that same noise from the left front when braking, also I hear a noise when turning right at slow speeds. The dealer replaced the wheel bearing, but it is still doing it, and they claim it is my tires... I think it must be the CV joint in the axle, but they did not agree, and since it was still within the 60K drivetrain warranty, they refused to do anything under the warranty...
Old 09-17-2003, 12:49 PM

i have the same groan, has anyone tried getting one of those brake rebuild type kits?

also how much did they charge you to resurface your rotors, midas quoted me like 300 for that and something else, so i essentialy told them to go to hell.

thanks
Old 09-17-2003, 03:15 PM

Here in Austin, Midas resurfices rotors for $18 apiece. I also get that grinding groaning sound from my front brakes. My brakes are all messed up. I mean, I'm about to put on a 3rd set of front rotors because they keep warping. I'm taking it to the dealer soon because Midas or no one else can help me.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by BadKarma99-4spd
i have the same groan, has anyone tried getting one of those brake rebuild type kits?

also how much did they charge you to resurface your rotors, midas quoted me like 300 for that and something else, so i essentialy told them to go to hell.

thanks

They should charge around 10 to 20 bucks a peice. Best bet .. i work in an auto parts store.. so i see this all the time... get new rotors. when you put on the rotors (or have them cut, if you cant afford new ones) make sure to torque your wheels to the 75 ft/lbs. (thats what nissan calls for on gen 4 maximas) If you torque them you might not even need to cut your rotors, it worked on my last car .
Old 09-17-2003, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by slfalco
I have that same noise from the left front when braking, also I hear a noise when turning right at slow speeds. The dealer replaced the wheel bearing, but it is still doing it, and they claim it is my tires... I think it must be the CV joint in the axle, but they did not agree, and since it was still within the 60K drivetrain warranty, they refused to do anything under the warranty...

Actually, CV axle is not covered under drivetrain. I know it's real stupid that it's not covered cause your car couldn't go forward or backward without it. But it's considered to be part of steering and suspension by Nissan. I called Nissan Corporate about this and they said the part number is not covered.

I hope Tom (NJMaxseltd) chimes in on this thread because he knows lots about these types of issues.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:49 PM

ive got brembo oem replacements and they are only about 5months old, i put them on and have had no problems since, but in the last month my pads have begun to squeek so i am going to purchase new ones(most likely oem unless someone wants to suggest something cheaper that wont squeek) and most people ive talked to recommend getting the rotors resurfaced when you go with new pads.

comments suggestions?

thanks
Old 09-18-2003, 04:56 PM

my metal masters groaned like a **** but i just switched back to stock nissan pads the other day and no more groan