4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Bodywork: How much will this cost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 05:56 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Bodywork: How much will this cost?

So I got in a fender bender this morning

Dude stopped short and I ended up hitting his spare tire with my hood but the bumper didn't even touch! Well, that sounds pretty FRIGGIN unlucky for me, but actually my hood was pretty chipped up and I wanted to get it done anyway (front bumper has been semi-recently repainted...within the last 2 years). So that's not entirely bad. Dude's car was perfect so we didn't even bother with insurance...I barely touched him...it just ****ed my hood up.

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea how much this might cost? It's going to need a new hood, paint for the hood, and hopefully they will do some blending which will take care of the sandblasting on my fenders. I am praying that it's not going to be too horrible...I have this $1200 figure in my head...I could probably handle that...but I am afraid of what a new hood might cost...

I am also, if the hood doesn't bankrupt me, going to do the rear bumper which, with a new cover I am guessing shouldn't be any more than $300-400...does that sound reasonable? As I remember that's approximately what my front bumper cost me.

Big thanks if anyone can shed some light on how bad this is going to be.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:26 AM

nah it wont be 1200
just go to a junk yard.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:36 AM

Check this link out for an idea of what kind of price range you may be able to find for the hood itself.

http://www.autobodypartsonline.com/c...49103298592.98
Old 09-24-2003, 06:46 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Yea I thought about a junkyard, but I'm too fanatical about the fit and finish, I don't want to **** with old parts.

Thanks for the link, that's pretty cheap! Man, if the hood is that cheap, I might be able to get away from this without spending too much money. If I can get them to blend the fenders and cover up the sandblasting this might even get to the level of being a *good thing* I've wanted to fix this stuff for awhile...

Damn, thanks a lot guys. When I get the estimate I will post up what they tell me.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

a new hood painted and installed will run you roughly around $500 at a respectable shop. I'm currently fixing dents and rock chips from highway driving on my hood, knicks in my front bumper from irresponsible drivers where my car was parked, a minor dent in the rear passenger door, and replacing my rear bumper. ( would have cost too much in labor and time to fix the existing one )

I'm also getting a front lip, side skirts and rear valances, OEM spoiler painted and installed as well. Probalby looking at roughly $1700 for materials and labour... Oh, also threw in some silver gauge rings for the dash

This isnt considering the new stillen intake/exhaust piping i bought off a fellow .org member yesterday.
Old 09-24-2003, 07:39 AM
Custom User Title...

ever considered a carbon fiber hood? i think it could look decent on your color car. i personally don't think i'd get one but the price isn't too bad and you wouldn't have to paint it. just an idea. goodluck with whatever you do!
Old 09-24-2003, 08:50 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

OEM Hood $357.98
4 Hrs to paint and install @42/hr $168
Paint Supplies $60

Blending the fenders would run you another $84.

Add tax and H.W.R. fees and your looking at around $690.

Proline Body & Chassis
Elmwood Park, NJ
Old 09-24-2003, 09:01 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
OEM Hood $357.98
4 Hrs to paint and install @42/hr $168
Paint Supplies $60

Blending the fenders would run you another $84.

Add tax and H.W.R. fees and your looking at around $690.

Proline Body & Chassis
Elmwood Park, NJ
THANK YOU! That's awesome info. Less expensive than I initially thought, more expensive than I got my hopes up to...so on the whole not bad! You're the man. Bleeeeeendin those fenders baby! Woohoo!

@Jepht20 - I thought about it for a second, but it's not really my steez. I'm a big detailer (hard to beleive with all the paint problems I described LOL) so I want paint to work on. Also, I'm doing performance stuff to my car but not too much...if I was really trying to eek out 1/4 mile times I might do it because it wouldn't be so horrible with the green, but that's not my cup of tea! Thanks for the suggestion though.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:15 PM
ivelweyz

Buy a carbonfiber hood for $315 and no need to paint it. Of course you can get green mist for it so it's not that noticeable. And you can get a hood for $133 here http://www.autopartsland.com/Product...291&make_id=27

Old 09-24-2003, 01:04 PM

Seriously, this is the best possible excuse you could hope for to get a CF hood. See how it looks unpainted, IMO its a nice finish, but if you really don't like it, then just have it painted later on.
Old 09-24-2003, 01:37 PM

get a CF hood, i got my hood dented in by a rock and now im saving up for a CF hood. Getting your hood messed up has to be the best excuse to get one.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:43 PM

Strangely, I was in a similar accident myself on Monday. I hit a 91 Ford F150 @ about 7 MPH and my hood/headlight/grill went right into his bumper. I have quite a bit more damage...as I need a new hood, radiator, core support, fender, headlights, and possibly a new bumper. My bumper really didn't hit his truck, but it looks a bit off alignment. Maybe I can just reset it. I'm going to attempt the repairs myself. Everything appears to be a bolt on part. Luckily I have another car to drive around. I'm definitely going for a CF hood now, I already have the Cefiro one piece headlights, and I'll order most of my parts for a salvage yard. I'm hoping to keep repairs under $1K.

I still don't understand why I couldn't stop in time. I had about 8 car lengths when I started to press the brake at 45MPH. The truck in front of me was still moving, but he got cut off by the car next to him since the lanes were merging into one (road construction). At 3 car lengths, I was doing about 32 MPH and my brakes locked up. I really don't understand how it happened. I've never been in an accident before this and I've been driving for 7 years/100K miles. I was having a terrible morning and I thought, I'll probably get into an accident. I'm no prophet, but shoot.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:11 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Originally Posted by Kevin Wong
I still don't understand why I couldn't stop in time. I had about 8 car lengths when I started to press the brake at 45MPH. The truck in front of me was still moving, but he got cut off by the car next to him since the lanes were merging into one (road construction). At 3 car lengths, I was doing about 32 MPH and my brakes locked up. I really don't understand how it happened. I've never been in an accident before this and I've been driving for 7 years/100K miles. I was having a terrible morning and I thought, I'll probably get into an accident. I'm no prophet, but shoot.
Me too...I was going much much slower but I can't figure out how it happened. I really don't tend to follow people too close and I thought I had plenty of time. Very odd.

You guys are killin me with the CF hood talk...
Old 09-25-2003, 07:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

C a r b o n f i b e r
Old 09-25-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Buy a carbonfiber hood for $315 and no need to paint it. Of course you can get green mist for it so it's not that noticeable. And you can get a hood for $133 here http://www.autopartsland.com/Product...291&make_id=27
True, you dont have to paint it but to have a nice finish, a few layers of clearcoat will keep the CF hood looking great.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:10 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Okay so the verdict at my bodyshop was....

$1300 without doing the rear bumper!

Yikes! I kind of expected this though. The parts were as quoted above but the bodyshop I go to is *real* expensive (and *REAL* good). I'm getting the fenders completely repainted, which is a very good thing. The clearcoat on the bottom rear end of both fenders was suspect at best, so this should take care of most of the paint problems on my car. They're also going to touch up/repaint the grill which I noticed got dinged.

So it's going to be an expensive week, but a good one.
Old 09-29-2003, 06:18 AM

Where would you guys suggest getting a carbon fiber hood??
Old 09-29-2003, 08:32 AM

^ The custommaxima.com group deal, just as soon as he gets a new shipment in. Can't really beat 315$ + shipping.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ch13f
^ The custommaxima.com group deal, just as soon as he gets a new shipment in. Can't really beat 315$ + shipping.
I'm just curious about the strength of the hood. On the fiber images website, they have videos of how much abuse the hoods can take (they drove an Accord over the hood and it kept it's shape). Also, they have a yellow Type-R that rolled over in an accident...and the hood is pretty much intact.

As for my Maxima, I haven't had any estimates done yet, but I know it'll run quite high. I think if I were to buy all the parts, it won't be too bad.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 AM

CF hoods are strong and light... sometimes so light that at high speeds (100+) they may fly up and slam into your windshield. Some people use hood pins for this reason, whereas others do it for looks. Regardless, i think CF parts will draw unnecessary attention to the car and will likely draw more trouble than benefit.