4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maintenance on my new "used" 95 max se.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 01:40 PM

Maintenance on my new "used" 95 max se.

I just bought a 95 max se with 107k for $3400 and I hope I didn't get ripped off. I have no clue when the car had a tune-up. The oil in the car was blacker than black itself. Any potential problems from this? Any good sludge removers/oil cleaners out there? Should I go for synthetic, and what kind? What kind of oil filter should I get? I want to replace the spark plugs but do I have to replace the ignition coils also? NGK coppers or platinums or iridiums? I saw some x-drilled slotted brembo or bradi oem size rotors on ebay....are they worth it? There is a slight "airy" noise from the front to mid section of the car......does this mean that there is a hole in the pipes? The front end of the car is very creaky. Is the suspension bad or is it the brake system? The car has been sit'n for awile. There is a rip in the front right cv boot. Does anyone have a write up/pics on how to remove the axle? Is there a way to make a hybrid intake and if so, how? Sorry about all the questions. I plan to do everything myself as an amatuer non-mechanic to save on the $$$. I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Maxima.org is awesome.
Old 09-25-2003, 01:49 PM

Your status should say "I finally posted everything!" instead of "I finally posted something!".

Check the 4th gen forum FAQs here http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=72447 - lots of good info.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

True. You will LOVE the FAQs sticky.

Also, the first thing you need to buy for this car is a manual. If you are new to the DIY mechanics realm, get a Haynes manual.

I noticed a couple of things that you might not find in the FAQs:

The oil in the car was blacker than black itself. Any potential problems from this? Any good sludge removers/oil cleaners out there?
You may have purchaced a neglected Max. I have picked up a couple of 'mystery' cars before and found the same story on the end of the dipstick. I just changed the oil really often to get it to clear up. On a really bad one, I changed it once a day for a few days. Seems excessive, but it rinsed the a lot of the excess carbon out of there.
If you are at all worried about the performance/health of this car, I would get a compression tester and find out what kind of shape your motor is in.

I want to replace the spark plugs but do I have to replace the ignition coils also?
no. If you have bad packs, try to get used ones... those suckers are SPENDY!

Hope this helps and good luck,
D
Old 09-25-2003, 08:30 PM

http://www.motorvate.ca is very helpful

Coppers are nice and cheap $12 for all 6. Platinums are like $8-15 each at stores, but you can get 6 of them for $38 shipped on eBay. Don't replace coil packs unless they're bad.

You'll have to lift the car up and check the whole exhaust piping to check for rust or leaks. It could be the wheel bearing going bad.

Start repairing things on your car one by one. Once you start driving, you'll notice more things wrong with it.

Do the full tuneup first. Change the coolant. Maybe change the tranny fluid. Replace the axles and check your suspension. If your suspension is good leave it for now. If it's bad, time to lower your car!

You can SEARCH for your answers