4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Starter not cranking....Arching?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 07:38 PM

Starter not cranking....Arching?

Basically, it was a rainy day today. Tried to start and nothing, just a click...waited till night when there was no rain. Had my dad try to start while i look under the hood and I could see a spark jumping to what looks like the ground bolt/nut on the solenoid. Couldnt tell where it was coming from. The boot on the power cable was on good, but there was no boot on the ground screw (should there be one?). Any ideas as to why and how to stop it so I can start my car?
Old 09-28-2003, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by PoePoe2797
Basically, it was a rainy day today. Tried to start and nothing, just a click...waited till night when there was no rain. Had my dad try to start while i look under the hood and I could see a spark jumping to what looks like the ground bolt/nut on the solenoid. Couldnt tell where it was coming from. The boot on the power cable was on good, but there was no boot on the ground screw (should there be one?). Any ideas as to why and how to stop it so I can start my car?
You could try to lightly tap the starter motor with a hammer while cranking and see if it'll go.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:53 PM

What? Did you read my post? I'm having a problem with arching....how does tapping the motor solve that?
Old 09-28-2003, 09:04 PM

You said the starter is clicking but not spinning the actual motor, but at the same time it's sparking there on the ground bolt?

There is no boot on the ground wire.

I've recently dismantled my dead starter motor and replaced a new one, wished i had pictures to show you what my problem with it was but as far as I know, light tapping on the motor while having the key turned may help the motor click and turn to start the engine.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you there.

Hmm, mine starter is for a 5spd manual if it was to be any different Maybe push start the car.

Anyways, good luck with it...
Old 09-28-2003, 09:09 PM

Ok, to clarify for everyone...when I got to start the car, there is a spark jumping to the grounding bolt shorting the circuit (thats whats making the clicking noise). I'm not sure whether its cuz of humidity or not having a boot. I also have a 5 speed, and never encountered this problem before. I actually got it started once, but when I turned the car off....went back to the same problem with the arching. Maybe if I put some electrical tape....but I'm not sure how long that would last....???
Old 09-28-2003, 09:54 PM

Ok, to clarify for everyone...when I got to start the car, there is a spark jumping to the grounding bolt shorting the circuit (thats whats making the clicking noise). I'm not sure whether its cuz of humidity or not having a boot. I also have a 5 speed, and never encountered this problem before. I actually got it started once, but when I turned the car off....went back to the same problem with the arching. Maybe if I put some electrical tape....but I'm not sure how long that would last....???
Your problem sounds like the one I had this summer. I took the starter out and took it to a repair shop to check it. They found out the brushes had gone bad, repaired it and I put it back in. Wound up only costing me like $30. I also had them regrease it cause it had gotten pretty dry which our starters tend to do over time. Hope you find and fix the problem soon whatever it is.