4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Alignment done 2x in last 4 months....need advic

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 09:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alignment done 2x in last 4 months....need advic

I have a 97 GXE, auto, 92k

4 months ago I took my car into the shop for an alignment. The car was pulling to the left so much that I have to turn the wheel to the right to drive straight. When I got the car back from them they said they adjusted the toe-in on the front drivers side tire. At that point it appeared the problem was solved. The car tracked straight for about 2 weeks and then it slowly went back to what it was doing before. So after a couple months of this, I had the time to take it back since the alignment had a 6 month warranty. I took it back in, explained to them that it was doing the same thing it was before I brought it in the first time. They aligned it again, telling me that 2 wheels were out of alignment. On the drive home, I notice that it is no better. I am thinking these idiots must not even test drive the car. So I call them up and they say that maybe the frame is bent/twisted. Now here's the thing. I was in a rear end collision about 8 or 9 months ago. It was passenger side rear. The rear bumper was completely caved in on that side, and the rear passenger side quarter panel was creased. Also, the trunk was totally tweaked. Before the accident, there was no alignment problems and now there is.

Could it be possible that the accident bent the frame in a manner that would totally screw up my alignment to the point that the wheels appear aligned on the machine, but the car doesn't drive straight?

Is it possible that the collision could have "pushed" the passenger side of the frame forward of the driver side, thus making it impossible to get the correct caster? And in turn, make the car track to the left?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by byc_db
I have a 97 GXE, auto, 92k

4 months ago I took my car into the shop for an alignment. The car was pulling to the left so much that I have to turn the wheel to the right to drive straight. When I got the car back from them they said they adjusted the toe-in on the front drivers side tire. At that point it appeared the problem was solved. The car tracked straight for about 2 weeks and then it slowly went back to what it was doing before. So after a couple months of this, I had the time to take it back since the alignment had a 6 month warranty. I took it back in, explained to them that it was doing the same thing it was before I brought it in the first time. They aligned it again, telling me that 2 wheels were out of alignment. On the drive home, I notice that it is no better. I am thinking these idiots must not even test drive the car. So I call them up and they say that maybe the frame is bent/twisted. Now here's the thing. I was in a rear end collision about 8 or 9 months ago. It was passenger side rear. The rear bumper was completely caved in on that side, and the rear passenger side quarter panel was creased. Also, the trunk was totally tweaked. Before the accident, there was no alignment problems and now there is.

Could it be possible that the accident bent the frame in a manner that would totally screw up my alignment to the point that the wheels appear aligned on the machine, but the car doesn't drive straight?

Is it possible that the collision could have "pushed" the passenger side of the frame forward of the driver side, thus making it impossible to get the correct caster? And in turn, make the car track to the left?

Any advice would be appreciated.

is your car out of alignment at high or low speed..does it seem as though alignment worsens as the speed increases..if so..it could be your tires...have u checked your tires?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by knight71
is your car out of alignment at high or low speed..does it seem as though alignment worsens as the speed increases..if so..it could be your tires...have u checked your tires?
Thanks for the reply knight71.

This happens at all speeds....slow and fast. I have checked the tires and I keep them all inflated to the same pressure. Actually, I was told the specifications for the Maxima are 29 psi. I had all tires at 29psi and it did the same thing. I had them all at 32psi and it did the same thing. I even tried 29 front and 32 rear and it did the same thing. The tires are fairly new, maybe 7k miles on them. One interesting thing though, the front passenger tire is wearing a little faster than the rest according to a tread guage.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by byc_db
Thanks for the reply knight71.

This happens at all speeds....slow and fast. I have checked the tires and I keep them all inflated to the same pressure. Actually, I was told the specifications for the Maxima are 29 psi. I had all tires at 29psi and it did the same thing. I had them all at 32psi and it did the same thing. I even tried 29 front and 32 rear and it did the same thing. The tires are fairly new, maybe 7k miles on them. One interesting thing though, the front passenger tire is wearing a little faster than the rest according to a tread guage.
I'm stumped..I had the same exact symptoms as u..i had my car aligned twice..finally after some time i figured out that both my front tires were faulty.i had them replaced...problem solved...maybe someone else might have expertise advice on what u should.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just tried lowering the pressure in the passenger side tire to about 27lbs and now it stays fairly straight. I don't know what this means as far as alignment but I shouldn't have to do that. BTW, the steering wheel is still turned to the right a little when I am going straight.

Any more help would be appreciated.
Old 10-02-2003, 02:47 PM

new tires........

Check for wear on you existing ones....

Do this by using a penny. Stick it inbetween the treads. If you can see any part of lincoln's head, time for new tires, any more of lincoln's head and that is probably it.

You said that you were able to solve the problem by decreasing air pressure?? That allows you to have a larger tire footprint. This sounds like tires to me. Get some new ones, and take it back for a realignment.
Old 10-02-2003, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
new tires........

Check for wear on you existing ones....

Do this by using a penny. Stick it inbetween the treads. If you can see any part of lincoln's head, time for new tires, any more of lincoln's head and that is probably it.

You said that you were able to solve the problem by decreasing air pressure?? That allows you to have a larger tire footprint. This sounds like tires to me. Get some new ones, and take it back for a realignment.

A penny, lincolns head what????
I heard ur supposed to drive em until u see sparks. LOL

Nah J/k but now that i have your attention please tell me what you mean about the penny. Stick in in upsidedown? Im trying to picture what you are explaining and none of my tires would pass that inspection you mentioned (i must be imagining it wrong)

Oh BTW i was in an accident a few weeks back, someone blew a red light hit a 3rd gen maxima then hit me in my passenger side front wheel. My car was pulling right. I had my trusted mechanic check it out and there was no major damage, they did an alignment. It didnt seem right still so I waited till it was due for inspection then told them it didnt help. Well i got my car back and its not pulling like before. I did notice they rotated my tires. My whole point is that yes tires have a pretty big impact on cars that pull. I didnt know this before but now i know and you do to.