4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake Squeak When Applying Lightly

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2003, 02:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Brake Squeak When Applying Lightly

If anyone could help me I'd appreciate it. A few months ago, my brakes started making noise when I applied them lightly. With greater pressure they quite down, but the sound terrible when I apply light pressure. I figured it was time for new pads, so no problem. I swapped out the pads, but the squeak is the exact same. I've search the forum and around the net, but all the references I find to brake squeal are when the brakes aren't applied, or when they're let off. Does anyone have any ideas. Calipers? Rotors? Its a '99 GXE with 80,000 on the odometer.
Thanks
Old 09-30-2003, 02:40 PM

aww crap.....

im getting the same noise and thought it was time for a B.J.........

What is the deal.....

please help me and aengus99

umm...CV's rubbing maybe??
Old 09-30-2003, 02:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Did you use Nissan Pads? How many miles do you have on the car? Did you cut the rotors?
Old 09-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Lightly modded

I've actually started to have the same problem. I put on Porterfield R4S pads on about 5 months ago, and recently they started squeaking. I'm thinking the rotors may be warped, since I don't think there's anything wrong with the pads. Ideas?
Old 10-06-2003, 08:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxNYC
Did you use Nissan Pads? How many miles do you have on the car? Did you cut the rotors?

I didn't use Nissan Pad. I just got aftermarket ones from Autozone. But the brakes make the same noise as the Nissan ones (Which weren't worn out completely. I thought the noise was from the pad wearing out, but when I got them off there was still a bit of life left in them) I didn't cut the rotors though. My car has 84,000 miles on it.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:55 AM

I had the exact same situation described above. The noise was still present (but not as loud) after I replaced the OEM stuff with new Brembo rotors and Hawk pads last weekend. I FINALLY eliminated the brake squeal this weekend after installing new brake shims. After 90K the OEM shims were really corroded, especially the one that presses against the brake piston. I also applied brake grease to all the contact points on the shims to eliminate vibrations. Also, check you brake caliper pins. Make sure the pins are greased and move freely. One of mine was stuck, which led to premature pad wear.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:56 AM

I am having the same noise in my front driver side wheel. Had it for years. It started when i went to a neighborhood garage who used bendix pads.

Ill wear these thin and look into replacing the rotors. I have 52k on my 1995 and figure its probably time to replace the rotors too. (well not really but im trying to justify new brembos) :P
Old 10-06-2003, 12:28 PM

Hey guys I have the same problem but it sounds like everybody is blaming the pads have anybody swap the rotors it may be that the suck
and or they metal is weak or crapy since it is resycle metal I'm tire of the noise so I was going to replace the pads but it will do no good so next options is the rotors because it seams is only the fronts right !!!!!!!

let me know if anybody try the rotors .......

Thanks
Old 10-06-2003, 12:50 PM

recondition the brake fix the problem
check http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/301
for DIY
Old 10-06-2003, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

eh

I bought my car with 74K miles on it, and had brake squeak from day one... front driver-side.

just got new brakes and rotors, and now I have a squeak from the back side.

so many other people have complained about brake squeak, so I've just learned to live with it.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:18 PM

Another IL person

Mine squeaks like crazy! People look at me funny everytime I stop I just roll up my windows and turn on the radio so I can't hear them

I'll get new pads, rotors, and shim kit in a few months when I save up for them.

Try getting the Quiet Stop stuff for the pads and the quiet stop stuff for the calipers. Replace the shim kit while you're at it.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:54 AM

i have the same prob. in the back, new calipers rotors n brake pads still have the prob. i learned to deal with it lol. BUT is it normal to go thru brake every year? i just replaced the front ones last oct. and they're worn down again. i put about 25k mi. per yr.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by funmax
recondition the brake fix the problem
check http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/301
for DIY
Does anyone else have any suggestions other than this one? So far, everyone has said "mine squeak too". Most brakes squeak, mine do. First, did you spray the pads when you changed them? Second, there are many different types of pads out there, and some squeak more often than others. There's plenty of things that could be wrong, but check the calipers to see if they are sticking at all. Also, weather changes might effect the brakes as well. Anyway, just some suggestions to break the repeat comments.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:59 PM

i wanna know how can i cut that plate out behind the rotor mines all bent up and it hits something thats whats causeing my sweak
Old 10-17-2003, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by maxcross
Does anyone else have any suggestions other than this one? So far, everyone has said "mine squeak too". Most brakes squeak, mine do. First, did you spray the pads when you changed them? Second, there are many different types of pads out there, and some squeak more often than others. There's plenty of things that could be wrong, but check the calipers to see if they are sticking at all. Also, weather changes might effect the brakes as well. Anyway, just some suggestions to break the repeat comments.
I can't be positive because I haven't done it yet, but I'd listen to JonnyCum Lately and get a new shim kit. I remember reading a while back that this is usually the problem. I need to do this because I got a bad squeal too.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:42 PM

The majority of brake squealing is caused by lack of use of shims and anti-squeal goo. But I too had a minor squeak when lightly braking after switching to aftermarket pads and drilled/slotted rotors. When I went back in to check on my shims I discovered that I no longer had the OEM pad retainers and springs (a.k.a. anti-rattle springs or return springs). I popped a set back on and VOILA! No more squeaking.

You can either get OEM retainers and springs (Part # 41080-73L29) or get them from Autozone (Part #H5872). Those part numbers may be different for different years so please check.
Old 10-17-2003, 07:35 PM
Handsome

Two members have already called it. IT is not the brake pad rubbing against the rotor that cause it to squeak, it is it vibrating against the caliper. Grease the back of the brake pad (of course where it makes contact with the caliper, not the rotor) and that should take care of your problem for a while until you need reapply some more.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:05 AM

im goign to try this on monday
Old 11-16-2003, 02:36 AM

from what i can see there are 2 different problems here front driver side is the MS if i'm not mistaken i have a squeaking problem under slight presure but it goes away when i putt alittle more presure and it only happends in the rear with me i figure its my brake system becoming unballanced well it dose have 106k on my 99 (highway miles) i'm going to replace the rotors with bembo big brake as soon as this new computer job goes through
Old 11-16-2003, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Street Reeper
Two members have already called it. IT is not the brake pad rubbing against the rotor that cause it to squeak, it is it vibrating against the caliper. Grease the back of the brake pad (of course where it makes contact with the caliper, not the rotor) and that should take care of your problem for a while until you need reapply some more.
you and ravq are right. Someone did a write up on this using electrical tape to help the shims. I would post it on this thread, but i can't find it.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:15 PM

As for the grease that you use behind the pads, buy a synthetic grease just for this purpose. I've used the same tube of grease for a long time (about the size of a small tube of toothpaste) and it WILL get rid of the squeek.

You might also need to put just a touch on the ends of the pads, where you have metal to metal contact. Of course, DO NOT put any on the pads where they meet the rotor.

Mike
Old 11-16-2003, 02:40 PM
zarf747

Originally Posted by CullenJ76
...Someone did a write up on this using electrical tape to help the shims...
I would think that the tape would just melt and smell like crap at the hot temps that the caliper gets to.

Old 11-16-2003, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by zarf747
I would think that the tape would just melt and smell like crap at the hot temps that the caliper gets to.
appearantly not
Old 11-17-2003, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Ravq
The majority of brake squealing is caused by lack of use of shims and anti-squeal goo. But I too had a minor squeak when lightly braking after switching to aftermarket pads and drilled/slotted rotors. When I went back in to check on my shims I discovered that I no longer had the OEM pad retainers and springs (a.k.a. anti-rattle springs or return springs). I popped a set back on and VOILA! No more squeaking.

You can either get OEM retainers and springs (Part # 41080-73L29) or get them from Autozone (Part #H5872). Those part numbers may be different for different years so please check.
Does all the maxima have anti rattle springs? When I did my brakes I didnt see any on my brakes. Where do they go? Any body have a picture of the brakes with the springs?
Old 11-17-2003, 09:16 AM

I got rid of my squealing yesterday. I had previously greased the backs of the pads and shims, so I also greased the tips of the two return springs that go into the holes on top of the pads. I also greased the area where the corners of the pads slide on the caliper. This includes the metallic edges of the brake pad corners as well as the thin, metallic retainer clips on the calipers that hold the pads in place. So far no squeals when lightly braking.

Originally Posted by Larcenist
Does all the maxima have anti rattle springs? When I did my brakes I didnt see any on my brakes. Where do they go? Any body have a picture of the brakes with the springs?