4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rotor Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 09:13 AM

Rotor Questions

My brakes are on their way out. The dealer says that they "have" to resurface the rotors. I have a break groan on my rear passenger side that is a known issue via a TSB for my 99SE. I need the dealer to take responsibility as they did try to fix it but only one side got fixed and they said, the problem is just annoying but should not damage your car. Now it seems that same side is making a shrill noise when I lightly brake between 40 - 20 mph.

I am going in to get the car checked today.

If they say I need new rotor, I will decline and get on the Brembo GD but I cannot touch the brakes till the dealer fixes the infamous groan when you step off the brake.

So my question is:

I do 15 miles one way city driving to work. I have 45K miles on the max and I am having to do the brakes (I guess that is routine wear and tear). Should I go with the blanks or the slotted?

I searched some and it seems people tend to think cross drilled is NOT the way to go. But will I benefit any by going the slotted route? I do not race. Do not hard brake unless required.

So what should I do. Please help.

Thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Are your brakes vibrating? If there still smooth you really don't have to resurface them. The dealer will do that because that's how techs are trained to perform a brake service that produces silky smooth brakes for the customer. Only problem is they are taking away material from the rotor when they resurface. Why take that away if there is no need to right??

A blank replacement will do you just fine. If your OEM rotors are in good shape, see if you can have Nissan just put new pads on for you or DIY.
Old 10-01-2003, 11:43 AM

I just had my breaks done i had to get 3 of the rotors "cut" and the other one replaced becouse it was too thin and got all new breakpads the only thing that sucks is that i had to pay $320 i think i got shafted.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:33 PM

Typically the rotors are replaced in pair. Or the car may pull to one side during heavy braking. Maybe it's okay for the rear???
Old 10-01-2003, 03:58 PM

When I change my brakes,I always change my rotors.I get mine from either Napa or AutoZone.Make sure they say no resurfacing required.Ready to put on.
Old 10-03-2003, 01:16 PM

Hmmm.

I went to the dealer yesterday. They said the groan is normal and did not do a thing about it. The squeal is also fine per them.

The said the front has 60 - 70 % pads and the rear has 50+ % pads.

So,
Now what? Why is only passenger side squealing like craze between 40 - 20 MPH while slowing down. Also when I am in stop and go I hear this annoying groan and the dealer for the fifth time said its fine.

So what do I do? Go to another dealer?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2003, 01:46 PM
Kevlo for President

go to another dealer, try to find one that has won hte customer satisfaction award
Old 10-03-2003, 02:38 PM
ivelweyz

a dealer doesn't need to fix TSB's, they'll fix it if you pay them. The groan is because they might not have put back the little springs on the front. The springs spread the front brake parts so they don't drag on the rotors. The squeal is there cause not enough of brake lubricant was used...

Old 10-03-2003, 03:42 PM

Thanks guys. The squeal and the groan are on the rear passenger side wheel. The dealer I go to is very good. I love their service advisors. Tha'ts why cannot fight them.

They did try to fix it once and that's when they caused the groan. I regret I ever brough that noise up because afterwards I found out that the noise was because of the rubber on the brake pedal (to seal the floor board) was hitting on the floor causing the slight noise. But they opened up my brakes and now I have been putting up with the groan. I guess I will try another dealer. I do have the Nissan Gold warranty with a $50 deductible so even if they fix it they will get paid and I will only have to pay the $50 deductible.

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
a dealer doesn't need to fix TSB's, they'll fix it if you pay them. The groan is because they might not have put back the little springs on the front. The springs spread the front brake parts so they don't drag on the rotors. The squeal is there cause not enough of brake lubricant was used...