4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

where should i point my subs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 04:10 PM

I just got a rockford 360a2 and 2 10" rockford subs with box with my factory bose sytem!!! now my question what is the best way to point the box? should i point the subs out or in and what is the differeces or pros or cons for where should the subs be pointed. any help is appreciated.
Old 02-15-2001, 05:29 PM

Well...

For car stereo stuffs...everyone has their own opinion. Since the box is not too hard to adjust just put it in and try different setups..i.e. front/back etc. and keep the one you like the best. That way it is the way YOU like it.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I've done'em all. I have a 12" CV in a bandpass box and find that with the port pointing at the rear and the box pushed to the seat produces a much better sound. One time I was sittin in the car when my friend opened the trunk and the sound was a hundred times better. Huh! who knows. Anyway good luck.
Old 02-15-2001, 10:53 PM

usually you get more bass when they are facing towards the back(facing the trunk opening) facing it to the back seats will give it more a accurate beat and less bass. I have a Bandpass with 2 10" punch woofers and I tested this out and found that you get alot more bass and hits harder when facing back.
Old 02-16-2001, 06:27 AM

In general,

pointing em backwards towards the back is best, but if you like em forwards, use that.
Old 02-16-2001, 07:13 AM

Every sub has it's own direction!!!!

Some subs are rear firing, some are front firing. Check with the catalog or store you got the subs at. I think all or most rockford fosgates are rear firing, meaning for better bass in the cab point the subs toward your trunk! In other words, the magnets facing you, because the bass is fired from the enclosure as a whole, not just the speaker.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-16-2001, 07:31 AM

Backwards.....

is usually the best way to face the subs..ie towards the trunk. It also depends a bit on the kind of music that you are listening to. If you are a rocker and you like tight bass drum beats then facing towards the seat in a SQ type configuration would probably suit your tastes. However if you like rap and music that has long low bass tones, then facing it toward the trunk would be the best. It all depends on you listening tastes and what you want out of the system. I would just pop in your favorite CD and listen to the subs at the same volume, but facing the two different directions. Be critical and don't just listen for how loud the subs sound, unless that is what you want. Just my 2 pennies worth! Good luck!
Old 02-16-2001, 08:47 AM

Towards the Mecca (that would be East) according to the Koran.
Old 02-16-2001, 09:07 AM

sub placement

all cars are different but in a 4th gen max the best way to face the subs is towards the rear of the car or up. i took out my spare and fiberglassed a box in the well and it sounds just as lound as facing the back. I found that the bass is just as accurate in any directions just not as loud when facing forward
Old 02-16-2001, 12:27 PM

First things first...

Base in non-directional... Doesn't matter where you "point" them.

If your running full frequency to the subs, which I don't recommend because you'll crack the cone before it's time, then point them towards the trunk. This will help to insulate your cabin from the muttled high frequencies that may pass throught the back seat if you point it there instead.

If you're running a crossover to only put out low frequencies, which I recommend, you can "point" it anywhere and it doesn't matter. Base in non-directional. However, what ever part of the trunk has the most solid fram underneath it, but the box there so that you will feel the vibrations more clearly. the more contact with the structure of the car, the more punch the rattle the base will have, thus sounding louder.

As for the box sounding louder when the trunk was open, this is becase that the speakers where no longer restricted by the small air mass that was locked in the trunk. Everyone knows that ported boxes have a bigger punch. Without getting too technical, this is because it gives the speaker more breathing room to move. When you lock a ported speaker box in a trunk, you take that advantage and minimize it greatly.

Hope this helps.

BTW I used to have a 2 12" Punch Rocks in a ported box in my 83 Accord Hatch. They rocked!!
Old 02-17-2001, 09:12 AM

it all depends on what kind of sub you have.. i have 2 15" kicker solobarics and they bang...try facing them in and opening the armrest door and see how you like that?? i face mine out because i have an ev voice speaker there
Old 02-17-2001, 09:39 AM
madduck99

frenzy pretty much covered it, i agree with him

Old 02-20-2001, 07:01 AM

If you wanna go to extremes...

Bolt the box down to the frame through the trunk. You'll really feel the base then!!! Or, be the first to incorperate a rear strut bar and box harness in one!!! Sounds great...less sway!!

BTW, thanks for the support, madduck99

Old 02-20-2001, 08:32 AM

subs

as frezny said bass is omnidirectional or nondirectional but that mean that you can't tell where bass is coming from,(like when your sittin at a light and you can't tell who's hittin), not that you can point it any where and it sounds the same. the longer bass waves are they louder they are. so in most cars if you point the subs towards the back its louder due to the waves going the length of the trunk and bouncing off the trunk wall and continuing to grow on its way back to the driver. the few exceptions are if there is something blocking the waves to the back or if you can bounce sound waves off of glass which will amplify the waves. Just a bit of info i've learned
Old 02-20-2001, 11:26 AM

I was always told to face the sub towards the back because the bass will sound lower. This is due to the fact that if the sub is farther away from you, the low frequency waves have more distance to finish the wave....therefore, you will hear the lower (less frequency) waves more.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:06 PM

My set up

I got 2 12" Rockford HE2's and they are nice. I got em in a sealed box facing the trunk opening bolted onto a custom trunk floor made out of 3/4 inch plywood covering the whole bottom of the trunk (i'll take pics soon)... no more rattling from the bottom... now all I have to do is dynomat the top of the trunk... i got a digit cap but i dont think it really does ****... maybe if i put two more and an optima deep cycle battery the lights will stop dimming... NOW i know everyone has there own opinion about this but i believe that leaving that armrest down makes a difference in the bass in the car... i leave the armrest up and i hear nice bass, but when i keep it down the bass in the car moves my hair and moved my rearview mirror out of place where i have to constantly ajdust it every 2 minutes but i dont really care cuz i can still see out of it... well thats my verdict... other people may thing differently about the armrest issue, like in the other post, but to tell u the truth i dont really care if u think differently cuz im convinced it makes a difference.
Old 02-20-2001, 08:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Talking about your rear view being moved out of place when you turn up your bass, it's annoying! I also have a Broadview mirror attached to the factory mirror, so it moves around even more. And I do use the mirror very often, so any ideas how to make the mirror more secure? Only way I can think of is just don't turn the bass up too high. Of course, that's not going to happen.
Old 02-20-2001, 09:52 PM

u know that piece of rubber that goes on that little notch on the arm that attched the mirroe to the roof thing? if i can find that lil rubbber tube again i might see if that works... if anything i'tt silicone the damn thing at the joint in the back if it keeps annoyin me
Old 02-20-2001, 10:26 PM

try tightening the tension screw on the back of the mirror but make shure you dont unscrew it it cuz its hell to assemble the ball-socket joint back together once the plate shifts away from the screw hole.
Old 02-21-2001, 06:23 AM

Now that you mention it...

Whenever I drive east, my base sounds louder than when I drive west! ROLF!

Somebody please explain to me this whole "length of the wave" thing, that makes the base sound louder. Are you talking about pure distance from the source or nodal distance?
Old 02-21-2001, 06:27 PM

Re: Now that you mention it...

I have my Polk DB10 sub facing forward through the back seat.
I love the accuracy!
Old 02-21-2001, 09:58 PM

no dis man... but ur sig pics are huge