4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima GXE, what mods should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 08:32 PM

Maxima GXE, what mods should I do first?

I recently got a 97 pebble beige Maxima GXE 5speed manual, and of course it didn't come with all of those little goodies such as a spoiler and 16" rims. I look at this car and I see potential in both performance and looks. The problem is I don't know where to begin. I have already made my mind up not to do suspension first, cause i only have $500 to spend right now. So my only choices would be to do a little performance first, or a little exterior first. So far this is my option:

1. Buy a factory style spoiler, a B&M short throw shifter, and diamond cut bumper lights. I would then make my own red/clear tail lights.

or..

2. Buy an intake, a budget y-pipe, and diamont cut bumper lights. I would then make my own red/clear tail lights (also, if I did get a budget y-pipe, would it be possible for me to add a Random Technology Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter, b-pipe, and muffler later on? Would it be possible to get all of those things to work together with out any problems?).

So what do you guys think? What would you do first. Feel free to suggest any mods you yourself would do first that cost around $500.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:36 PM

I forgot to add; what do you think I would enjoy more, peformance over exterior, or exterior over performance? Because I think it would be cool to hear the difference in sound with the performance parts, and it would be nice to have that extra horse power. But then again, it would be nice to drive around with a sportier look.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:46 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

for sound/performance, go intake.

for looks/performance, go with intake.

but for starters/price, here is what I recommend:

1. clears ($35)
2. Front Strut Tower bar ($30)
3. hybrid air intake (midpipe, filter $60-ish?)
4. then probably springs/shocks.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:54 PM

Diamond cut clear corners- $35 www.custommaxima.com
Budget y-pipe- $167 (if you install yourself, plus about 100 for a shop to install) www.budgetexhaust.com
Frankencar intake- $150 + 13 s/h www.frankencar.com

Right there you are only spending about $365. Those mods give you a significant power increase while the intake and clear corners help with the sound/exterior styling. Only spending $365 gives you some money to save for your suspension or to buy a Ebay FSTB for $20.

If I were you, thats what I'd do.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you just bought the car and only have $500 to spend, i suggest you do the proper maintenance first.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:09 PM

clears
performance budget y(no point in sounding or looking fast if you arent)
intake
rsb(if you cant afford a complete suspension set up like myself)
Old 10-05-2003, 09:29 PM

if you're concerned about looks at all, and you have a GXE, i'd recommend saving up a little more and getting some rims.. the one thing i hated most about my gxe was the horrible hubcaps. i had clear corners and red/clear tails but i couldn't look at my car think it looked good till i got rims. i don't know if there's a lotta junkyards where you live but you can probably get some pretty decent rims for $500, maybe even with tires.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 AM

Y pipe and intake are the two quickest easiest ways to get more power. Will allow you to keep the sleeper look.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:57 AM

I think I am going to get an intake and a budget y-pipe. Should I get a Frankencar intake, or a Weapon-R intake? Also, will I be able to add a Random Technology Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter later on if I get a budget y-pipe?
Old 10-06-2003, 12:05 PM

The best things to do first are ~ as follows:

1) Y-pipe (you will **** yourself)
2) DC clears
3) FSTB
4) Intake
5) Make rear clears
6) Shave rear emblem
7) Rewire corner lights and replace headlight bulbs (cheap but effective, especially at night)

These 7 or so 'subtle' mods will start turning heads and make you laugh when you hit the gas, also note they're all relatively inexpensive to get you started... You will look good in the day, sound good, be faster, handle slightly better and as well somethign most people overlook, look better at night...

LEMAR
Old 10-06-2003, 01:47 PM

I think I am going to get an intake and a budget y-pipe. Should I get a Frankencar intake, or a Weapon-R intake? Also, will I be able to add a Random Technology Hi-Flow Catalytic Converter later on if I get a budget y-pipe?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:53 PM

the first mod that i did was my sound system then intake, muffler, S-AFC and indiglo pedals. Plan on getting budget y next. I think my gxe looks hella good without any exterior mods. so i suggest getting perormance first. plus it'll add a sleeper look to it.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:53 PM

what zeff said, his $365 + spoiler should be around $500...but I also hate GXE hubcaps, so you might just save up for some sort of upgrade, whether it's just to SE or GLE rims, or if you want to go big.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:04 PM

y pipe for now.... get that right away! it's awesome!

then go with clears... then a fstb and rsb....

then do the led mod conversion... change all your internal lights to blue... because blue is nice and i like the colour blue! ;-) hehe
Old 10-06-2003, 10:37 PM

I wouldn't mind having an intake, but it seems as if some people are saying that they find a loss in performance with their intake or no increase in performance at all. Or at least thats what I thought I heard. I am just curious what everone has to say to this.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Unir3
I wouldn't mind having an intake, but it seems as if some people are saying that they find a loss in performance with their intake or no increase in performance at all. Or at least thats what I thought I heard. I am just curious what everone has to say to this.
i have slight lag with my place racing in its hai form, but im soon going to make it cai which should take care of this problem.

as with most performance products(ypipe aside) your not going to feel them individually, its when you have them all combined that you get real gains.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:17 PM

I personaly love my Greddy. It sounds great, looks good and adds performance all at the same time.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Rockin' VK56!!

You like driving at night?? get HIDs
Old 10-07-2003, 06:54 AM

Personally, I found that when i only only only added the cone intake for a basic HAI, then i could not spin first gear from a roll...

now back to stock intake, my car is silent and deadly... I can't grip all of first gear after like 2-3k...

i'm going to try again next summer just to be sure.... it could have been my bad knock sensor also, which held back my performance

oh... I did notice that my top end is harder to reach stock.....
Old 10-07-2003, 07:03 AM

Since nobody else is answering your question I will Don not get the Random Technology CAT cause they are known to fall apart instead get a Carsound of Warpspeed CAT. If you want to look for mods to take your max too the max Check out this website http://maxmods.dyndns.org/ It will give you all the info you need. Good luck and happy moddin
Old 10-07-2003, 03:47 PM

Thank you for the replies guys. 96max5sp, I checked out that link you gave me. There doesn't seem to be many options for making my Maxima fast. The big boost systems such as turbochargers and superchargers seem pretty dang expensive and don't seem to be very reliable. Is it like this for every car out there (Jettas, Preludes, Integra GSRs)? I mean, I see Jettas or Integras with $3000 turbochargers, which seems to be very cheap for a good performance boost. The cheapest turbocharger I've seen for Maxima's are at least $4000. It also seems as if other cars have more performance mods. I don't know, maybe I have been misinformed.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:19 PM

I don't know what do you think?
Old 10-07-2003, 05:46 PM
Handsome

Thank you for the replies guys. 96max5sp, I checked out that link you gave me. There doesn't seem to be many options for making my Maxima fast. The big boost systems such as turbochargers and superchargers seem pretty dang expensive and don't seem to be very reliable. Is it like this for every car out there (Jettas, Preludes, Integra GSRs)? I mean, I see Jettas or Integras with $3000 turbochargers, which seems to be very cheap for a good performance boost. The cheapest turbocharger I've seen for Maxima's are at least $4000. It also seems as if other cars have more performance mods. I don't know, maybe I have been misinformed.
Honestly check the for sale forums here. If I got an intake I would get a used one as I did from PCGuru, other wise just keep your intake stock. If you are really going to get serious about your max (you may not plan to right now, but the bug will probably get you) then just save your money because your going to go forced induction anyway.

For right now I would get the Y-pipe and clears (skip the intake unless you can find a used one for a great price, I would say around 50.00 for a JWT, or Stillen intake, keep that black box (resonator) and do not trade it in for a midpipe.) Keep the rest for any maintance issues that may come up and save for new wheels and tires (they will help with handling and appearence more than almost any other mod, Nitto 555 are a great tire and relativly cheap.)

These are the things I started with but recently decided to go all out. Next week I will be getting a V1 SC with Custom CAI, Greddy Type-S BOV, AEM FPR, Cartech FMU, Apexi S-AFC, and boost, egt, fuel pressure gauges. I found all of this at a fair price right here in the for sale forums. In one month I will be getting KYB GR-2's and H&R spring combo. That will keep me happy and relativly broke for a while , trust me the bug will bite you hard when you are not expecting it.

My advice is plan on the big stuff because you are going to want it eventually anyway, don't spin your wheels or waist your money on the little things now. So again my vote is go for a budget Y-pipe, and clears. Then check the for sale forums or jukyards for things like wheels and a spoiler. Good luck and PM me if you ever need any help.