4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 11:23 PM

What next?

So... I've owned my 98 Max for three weeks.

Week 1: This is great! I love my "new" Max! So what if the brake pedal shakes a little... I'll fix that soon. Wife discovered that Max windshields are *not* rockproof. They'll fix that next week.

Week 2: Sure enough, Monday AM the glass guy came out and replaced my windshield. He also cut a 12" gash in my dashboard and left several new chips in the paint. The car stops nicely now though, with a new right front rotor. After a couple of days of negotiating, the glass company has agreed to replace the dashboard. That will be next week. Of course, they have to replace the glass *again* thanks to a Jag S-type that kicked a golf-ball sized rock into my brand new windshield.

Week 3: Waiting to see what tragedy will befall the Max this week.

SHIFT_target
Old 10-08-2003, 09:51 PM

The saga continues....

The dashboard was replaced by a reputable body shop today. The windshield was also replaced. I'm not terribly happy with the install of the dash. It is rather sloppy in some areas. However, that's not a big problem.

Oh no.

The Big Problem is that now my climate control does not work. Set to 65 degrees, I get cold air. Set to anything higher than 65 degrees (say... 66 degrees) and it blows heated air. Not ambient air from outside but heated air, as if it suddenly thinks the temp in the cabin is about 40 degrees.

I suspect the operation at 65 degrees is a "default" mode of operation. A failsafe, if you will. I also suspect that the thermocouple in the dash is either disconnected or damaged. Either way it is returning a value that the climate control system interprets as "cold", so at any temp higher than 65 degrees it decies to heat instead of cool.

Can anyone shed any light on this? The dash guy is going to look at it tomorrow AM, but he doesn't seem all that bright. In fact, he has already denied the presence of any temperature sensing device (ummm... it's climate control.. it *has* to have some way to measure temp in the cabin). I've already ruled out the obvious: it's not a fuse or a relay, and it's not user error.

Are there any mechanics left that give a... darn? Any that actually take pride in what they do, and do it well?

SHIFT_target
Old 10-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

rofl, what a mess.

no advice... but uh, good luck.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:23 PM

Heh... the mess happened when I turned on the defroster and small shards of glass went flying all over the interior.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:53 AM

But wait... there's more....

I discovered this morning that my cigarette lighter socket does not work, one of the defroster vents is not seated correctly, and the foam gasket in the A/C ducting behind the glove box is not installed correctly.

Ugh.
Old 10-09-2003, 10:25 AM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by netm00se
The saga continues....

The dashboard was replaced by a reputable body shop today. The windshield was also replaced. I'm not terribly happy with the install of the dash. It is rather sloppy in some areas. However, that's not a big problem.

Oh no.

The Big Problem is that now my climate control does not work. Set to 65 degrees, I get cold air. Set to anything higher than 65 degrees (say... 66 degrees) and it blows heated air. Not ambient air from outside but heated air, as if it suddenly thinks the temp in the cabin is about 40 degrees.

I suspect the operation at 65 degrees is a "default" mode of operation. A failsafe, if you will. I also suspect that the thermocouple in the dash is either disconnected or damaged. Either way it is returning a value that the climate control system interprets as "cold", so at any temp higher than 65 degrees it decies to heat instead of cool.

Can anyone shed any light on this? The dash guy is going to look at it tomorrow AM, but he doesn't seem all that bright. In fact, he has already denied the presence of any temperature sensing device (ummm... it's climate control.. it *has* to have some way to measure temp in the cabin). I've already ruled out the obvious: it's not a fuse or a relay, and it's not user error.

Are there any mechanics left that give a... darn? Any that actually take pride in what they do, and do it well?

SHIFT_target
if you got automatic climate control, u need to press AUTOMATIC for ac and econ, for heat.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
if you got automatic climate control, u need to press AUTOMATIC for ac and econ, for heat.

Yep. It worked before the dash was changed and not after.

Final (hopefully) update...

The Dash guy visited a few minutes ago. Turns out his assistant had left three wires disconnected. Climate control, cigarette lighter, and the ash tray light all work now. He's going to replace the defroster vent that won't seat correctly, and the foam seal thing was not a problem after all.

Hopefully this will be the end of this story.... of course, they are still going to touch-up the paint, so there's a whole new set of possible problems....