4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

foglight rewire wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:12 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

foglight rewire wiper problem

So I went searching through the forum, trying to find a way to independantly wire my foglights, while maintaining use of the stock switch.

I found the basic foglight rewire, allowing you to run a wire from the foglight relay to the corner marker lights, however I didn't like this, too much work considering it's not independant of the corner lights/marker lights.

I found that many people had done a '12 volt wiper relay mod' which only requires tapping into the orange wire on the wiper relay. I cut the green yellow wire, and connected it to the orange wiper wire, and taped everything up and put it all back together.

Everything worked great, and I could use my fog lights independantly of everything, Except for one thing. When I turn my windsheild wipers on intermit setting, the foglights turn off whenever the wipers go, almost like a dimming out, as if the power is drained. Of course if I have the wipers on medium or full speed, the foglights stay off.

Who out there who has done this or knows about electrical systems can tell me what I've done wrong, or did I do it right, and everyone gets the same result.. if so, I'm going to attempt to locate another 12volt circuit to tap into, so that I don't have this problem. I live in oregon, where it's foggy and rainy all the time, so I want to use my foglights whever I want, daytime or whenever, while still being able to use my wipers..
Old 10-10-2003, 08:45 AM

by the way it does look really sexy with just my foglights on great for drivin around cloudy oregon days
Old 10-10-2003, 11:36 AM

Plz help!! Or doesn't anyone know how?

the taunting begins
Old 10-10-2003, 09:40 PM

I don't know a lot about what you did and it was a while back that I did my mod. I will tell you, however, that I tapped into the AC Fan power so that they could only be on when the car was on.
Old 10-12-2003, 06:28 PM

When i rewired mine all i did was cut the green/yellow wire of the fog relay and connect it to the hot orange wire of the relay thus giving me independent control of the fogs at all times-the grn/yel wire is only hot when you left headlamp is on-the only problem is that i can leave them on and the buzzer doesn't sound!!--but i like the idea of wiring it to the fan--i might do that
Old 10-12-2003, 07:50 PM

I wired to the fan because the fan can only be on when the car is on - that way I can't ever leave them on and kill the battery.