4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

why is the inner diameter on SS brake lines smaller than OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 07:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why is the inner diameter on SS brake lines smaller than OEM?

OK - today I installed the Goodridge SS Brake lines (rears only) and i noticed that the inner diameter of those SS brake lines is much smaller than OEM rubber brake lines !!! so if the diameter is smaller - that means there is less brake fluid going to the caliper !!!! i could be wrong - but thats what my comon sense is telling me. Some members here on .org reported soft/mushy brake pedal feel after installing SS brake lines ~~

the install for the rear was easy , but the front 10mm bolt that connects metal brake line to rubber hose was rusted pretty bad
I sprayed it with WD-40 night before and still ended up with rounded off nut - used 10mm flare nut wrench ( wich acctually is responsible for rounding it off ) and vice -grips didn't help either - so i just put it all back together and left the garage in pretty bad mood - one rounded off nut killed the good mood there.

I will buy brand new front/driver side metal brake line and just cut and rip out the old one ( hopefully the 10mm at the master cylinder will come off easy !!! )
Old 10-10-2003, 07:25 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

It's pressure your concerned with, not volume of fluid. The diameter isn't a big deal for such a small amount of fluid that goes through it to make your caliper work.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:33 PM

thanks - i realized that later
now i just somehow need to take off the front 10mm rounded off nut and install the front SS lines
the box said its bad to mix rubber lines with SS.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:42 PM

I did the same thing, one rusted out and I rounded it w/ regular 10mm.(I doubt yours is as rusted as mine, Canadian uses a lot of salt in winter) got the flare wrnech and did the 3 sides. Then I went out and got 2 vice grips, one on the top squeezed THE HELL out of the rounded nut, and the bottom one to hold hte brkae line.. then it came off!!... now if I have to remove that line I just use 2 vice grips... lol

make sure you bleed the system correctly or you'll get that mushy feel, if you just pour fluid back from the top you'll get the mushy feeling.
Old 10-10-2003, 09:49 PM

thanks for the tip - will use bigger vice grips this time, but what do you mean by saying Bleed the system corectly and if you just pour fluid from the top , you"ll get the mushy feeling"

I'm using speedbleeders and the only way to add the brake fluid is from the "top" down to the Master brake cylinder - am i missing something here ???

thanks
Nick.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by nick
thanks for the tip - will use bigger vice grips this time, but what do you mean by saying Bleed the system corectly and if you just pour fluid from the top , you"ll get the mushy feeling"

I'm using speedbleeders and the only way to add the brake fluid is from the "top" down to the Master brake cylinder - am i missing something here ???

thanks
Nick.
Dunno what he meant, but use the correct bleeding order http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...2&postcount=13
Old 10-11-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by nick

thanks
Nick.
I mean make sure you bleed the air out of the bottom, don't just fill the top out and think you're done.

Start with the rear passanger side, bleed that, (close valve, pump the brakes then hold the pedal half way, 2nd person opens valve and release hte pressure/air/fluid. Do this till you see the new fluid coming out, then front driver, and rear driver then front passanger.