4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hate the MAX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 07:41 AM
U wanna try me young boy?

Originally Posted by DanIAm
i'd say independant rear suspension would be #1 on my list

Confused now...

I understood the nissan multi-link beam suspension to be superior to an independent rear suspension because of it's better camber control at extremes of body roll.

Why would you prefer a independent rear suspension?
Old 10-13-2003, 07:48 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bonka
Do not like:
- Thin factory paint
- Weak factory Bose system
- Out of place antenna (Fuba/euro damnit!)
- Squarish rear, fine otherwise
- Cheapish leather

Should have done in first place but don't really matter to me:
- One-touch moonroof/sunroof (Mod available now)
- Deeper trunk
- More robust alarm (Arm chirp)
- Clears all around
- Brighter headlights!! (9004's suck ***)
- Still more power (Personal pref)

Where do you get the mod for the one-touch sunroof??
Old 10-13-2003, 10:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Should have came with it:

Windows to roll back up with one touch button too, so with sunroof, who the hell rolls their sunroof up halfway??

Lights should close automatically when driver side door open when the engine is completely shut off and (had that option on my camry).
Clearance lights should be a lot brighter or have max's come with cefiro lights stock.
Should've came with clears all around

A better battery.
A LOT better paint.
A knock sensitive alarm, people can break the windows and get into your car without ever tripping the alarm.

Thing's I like:

The remote window rolldown so you can airout your car before you even step in! Gives a lot of OoooOh's and Ahhhs' or "you left your window open?!"
Quick low end torque to knock your passengers' heads back onto the headrest.
A somewhat tidy engine bay(for a v6), not to cramp like the honda's are.
Soft SE cloth.
Just the look of the maxima, makes your heart warm up everytime you see your awesome car(especially with the clears, they make a major dif in the looks department).
and finally,..
The .Org, so much info from a great friendly, supportive people that rox0rs.(search function)
Old 10-13-2003, 10:42 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

we should have the aluminum wing option
Old 10-13-2003, 12:39 PM

Needs:

- Auto-Rollup windows (probably a liability thing that stops them from having it)
- Beeps when arming the alarm
- Brighter warning light on the fuel gauge
- More headroom in the rear. I'm 6'2" and my head bashes the roof
- More headroom in the front. The sunroof really cuts into the headroom. In order for my head to fit I had to compromise on effective seating position, so I fabricated custom seat brackets to lower the driver's seat by 2" to give me more headroom.
- A stock (BOSE) stereo that can have the head unit upgraded without having to throw EVERYTHING out.
- Better armrests on the center console/door. Sounds like a new project for me...
- Seatbelt pretensioners
- More bottom-end. My wife has a 2k V8 Cherokee and it's got 'mad sick' bottom end. Feels liek it should beat my 5spd SE w/MEVI and Budget Y to 50 every time.

Then my own future projects;

- Panic braking should automatically turn on the hazard lights until you hit the gas again.
- Rear Fog Lights! We have fog where we live (ohio, near an inland lake) and visibility can be severely reduced.
- VERY bright rear white lights. I live on a rural road and have to cross the road to get my mail. I get hoem from work when it's dark and so I have to cross this road in total darkness. I'm gonna install a bright white light at the back of the car that I can flip on when I pull into my driveway and it will light up the road and my mailbox so people can see me cross the road and I don't get run over.

(I don't see the 4x4 thing. I have an SE with Monroe Sensatrak struts)
Old 10-13-2003, 12:40 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by Scruit
Confused now...

I understood the nissan multi-link beam suspension to be superior to an independent rear suspension because of it's better camber control at extremes of body roll.

Why would you prefer a independent rear suspension?
because he doesnt understand the concept of the read solid axel...
Old 10-13-2003, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by SXN
because he doesnt understand the concept of the read solid axel...
There is a difference between;

- a standard solid beam axle with panhard rod
- a multilink solid rear beam suspension

The problem with independant rear suspension is when the car leans into a corner the outside wheels are forced higher (extra load) in the suspension range than the inside wheels (less load). All independant suspension systems I know of exhibit a dynamic camber characteristic throughout the suspension motion. Therefore the camber changes as load is applied, and the chaging camber makes for a non-ideal contact patch. Reduced contact patch = loose back end.

The standard solid axle rear suspension always keep ideal camber, however their design reqiuires additional stability from side-to-side mvoement of the whole axle. The is usually achieved using a "Track Bar" or "Panhard Rod" which is connected to the left side fo the body and right side fo the axle (or vice-versa). This gives sideways stability at the expense of inducing sidewards motion at the extremes of suspension range.

Nissan's Multilink Solid Rear suspension utilises a special track bar which had an extra link and a special busing that creates sideways stability, free movement throughout the range of suspension travel *without* inducing any sidewards motion at the extremes of suspension range. This allows the rear tires to have near-ideal contact patches at all times. A much better setup.

The next level would be active-camber and active roll-control systems that were used one some European cars, such as the Citroen BX (I believe) that keep the body flat during hard cornering to preserve near-ideal contact patches in all corners.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:01 PM
SXN

lol, i already knew that, i was responding to DanIam.. but thanks for the car lesson
Old 10-13-2003, 01:25 PM

Don't hate the Max but a more perfect 4th gen Max would have:

-A more durable knock sensor
-A more robust 5spd trans, with closer spaced gears, or 6 speed option with close gears and taller top gear.
-VLSD in all US 5spd SE's
-Better paint
-Thicker body sheet metal
-Better build quality of dash and console (rattles)
-VI manifold and 7000rpm rev limit stock
Old 10-13-2003, 01:32 PM
SXN

your making the maxima much nicer than it is, which would also change the price range and such. lol, i would LOVE that too, but... not a maxima
Old 10-13-2003, 02:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

5-speed

The interior dash panels kinda squeak/rattle and the rear window is too oval. By far the biggest qualm is the excessively short fifth gear. The VQ produces 80% of peak torque at 1600 rpm yet for some very stupid reason they geared it to make the engine spin twice that at non-autobahn speeds. Other than that the maxima is BAD ***!!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 04:26 PM

For those with automatics quicker shifts when stompping on the gas instead of having a lagging shift feel.
Old 10-13-2003, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hey one thing that no one has mentioned that bothers me about the max is no 60/40 backseat split, I really don't like only the small hole to fit stuff through (can't fit too many snowboards through that).

Also my max (I think it's standard with canadian ones, but not sure) has a full size spare :-)
Old 10-14-2003, 03:08 AM

lol..remember the max is made to be a family sedan so alot of the things we want didnt even occur to the designers. but in a perfect world the max needs

4 wheel idp suspension. even the se max feels liek aboat on wheels to me stock

liek 50% more rigididy. lotta frame flex in the max.

4x4 look( mine is dropped and my and the roof
of my dada acuras legend stock is just as low as the max.

is it just me, or is the sun roof shade thing that you pull when u dont want the sun on your face the cheapest one ever built?. it rattles and doesnt stay. when i accelerate it moves back by itself!!

i dont understand why they would take the cefiro(japanese maxima) which is rwd and make it fwd for the states. thats jsut wasted designing money.

not so much power assist in the steering. there is very little road feel in the max compared to my old 240sx

i dont know about mevi stock, casue i like my midrange kick, makes everyday driving funner, but soem kinda variable intake/exhaust system or someting to keep the top end from dropping so much after 5.5

rear end, is just not cute. red/clears help , but the overal shap just kinda sucks.

6x9 in the rear stock

half asian/half white chick sitting shotgun.

but the worlds not perfect.. and the 95 max still got car of the year. im happy with it.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

low seating position, quirky transmission, ECU reporting codes all the time . leaves and other debris falling into the lid of the sunroof where its unreachable. paint is soft and scratches easily. rear doors are ding magnets, rear windows do not open all the way, rear seats do not fold and only offer a ski tote option (my camry and integra have more storage) , breadbox rear look, unclearable amber in 95 tail lamps, chrome door handles on the Lowest AND highest models *gxe versus GLE*, unreliable and short lived key remote fobs