4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

paranoid abou problems with the cooling fans!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2001, 07:19 PM

I was just noticing this recently about the two cooling fans up front by the radiator tank: they always seem to be on when my automatic climate control is on, even when it is COLLLLD out. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and it isn't just my car.

I was also if anyone else noticed this in their engine compartment: The direction where these two fans are blowing (where the yellow engine oil dipstick is)--there is a lot of gunky/dusty residue? Is this the result of the direction of the air being blown by the fans to cool the engine?
(This relates to question 1 where even when I first turn on the car in the morning and it is cold like now--32 degrees, the fan turns on automatically--but I thought these fans were just used to cool the engine?)

sorry for the long-windedness.

=)
Old 02-17-2001, 07:43 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Whenever your auto AC is on, it uses the AC compressor, hot or not. The AC condenser is mounted in front of the radiator. Since the AC is running, the fans come on to pull air through the condensor.

That's my best guess.
Old 02-18-2001, 09:30 AM

Cooling Fans

Originally posted by humaras
I was just noticing this recently about the two cooling fans up front by the radiator tank: they always seem to be on when my automatic climate control is on, even when it is COLLLLD out. I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this and it isn't just my car.

I was also if anyone else noticed this in their engine compartment: The direction where these two fans are blowing (where the yellow engine oil dipstick is)--there is a lot of gunky/dusty residue? Is this the result of the direction of the air being blown by the fans to cool the engine?
(This relates to question 1 where even when I first turn on the car in the morning and it is cold like now--32 degrees, the fan turns on automatically--but I thought these fans were just used to cool the engine?)

sorry for the long-windedness.

=)
The fans main purpose is to draw air from the outside and through the radiator and condensor. This helps cool the refrigerant and the anti-freeze. Cooling the engine is gravy after all is said and done.