4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

need help with some electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 12:41 PM

need help with some electrical problems

my car is really ****ed up. heres a list of things that dont work. the passenger and both rear doors dont have any power to them, the windows and locks dont work on all doors except the front driver. the security system doesnt work, the power antenna doesnt work, the radio doesnt hold memory (everytime I start my car the stations all have to be reset, and the cd ejects), the battery and brake light stay on most of the time, and sometimes when I accelerate, the speakers fade in and out. It's not a fuse thats blown, and i replaced the master window switch, and the BCM (body control module) which cost $900.00 from nissan and the car still doesnt work. I even took my car to nissan for diagnostic check and they can't figure out what is wrong with it after looking for the problem all day. what is really weird is that the drivers door has power (the window and lock work) but the other 3 dont work at all. has anybody ever had a problem like this? ANY info would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-23-2003, 02:41 PM

sounds like your whole factory wiring harness has gone to $#|┬

I would say that you almost have to get a voltimeter aka multi meter for some of those newer to electronics.... and test every part of the wiring and each component..
Old 10-23-2003, 03:05 PM
ivelweyz

If your radio resets then it means the battery isn't supplying any power while the car is off. Check the battery connectors and test the battery...

Old 10-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Kevlo for President

go get ur alternator and battery tested at autozone for free, brake and battery lights are sign of a dead alternator
Old 10-24-2003, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by volkte37
my car is really ****ed up. heres a list of things that dont work. the passenger and both rear doors dont have any power to them, the windows and locks dont work on all doors except the front driver. the security system doesnt work, the power antenna doesnt work, the radio doesnt hold memory (everytime I start my car the stations all have to be reset, and the cd ejects), the battery and brake light stay on most of the time, and sometimes when I accelerate, the speakers fade in and out. It's not a fuse thats blown, and i replaced the master window switch, and the BCM (body control module) which cost $900.00 from nissan and the car still doesnt work. I even took my car to nissan for diagnostic check and they can't figure out what is wrong with it after looking for the problem all day. what is really weird is that the drivers door has power (the window and lock work) but the other 3 dont work at all. has anybody ever had a problem like this? ANY info would be greatly appreciated

I had some similar power problems on my 96 GLE (but not quite that extensive) and the cause was a crack in the main battery fuse (fusible link) located in the fuse block behind the battery (the reddish brown one in the middle - 140 Amp I think). A $10 fix to what I thought was a bad alternator since I had the battery and brake light on as well. In fact AutoZone told me I needed a new alternator based on their test and I had one ordered and then I found the problem before I bought and put it in. It was not an obvious solution to the problem because the crack was not visible to the eye - I found it by wiggling the fuse and some stuff started working that didn't before. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-2003, 01:25 PM

nah its not the alternator because I just installed a new one in july, aloing with a new battery. and its not a fuse or a fusealbe link, ive checked them numerous times already
Old 10-24-2003, 01:43 PM
Kevlo for President

where did u get it from, some people have lost an alternator in under 3 months