4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I HATE autotragic lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 10:07 AM

I HATE autotragic lag

I need some tips about impoving the autotragic lag in the max. I've seen the drop resistor mod, but I've also heard that it destroys the max tranny. I'm not interested in the VB mod because it seems that it doesn't yield that much advantage over stock auto. Can some that have these mods done speculate on the positive and negative effects of it? Or would it be worth it to just save up for another car (240sx with SR20 swap ), or attempt a 5spd conversion? I have 174,XXX miles on it btw.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Dan
Old 10-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Pizda Boy

either convert it or sell it and get a 5spd.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Exactly! autotragic cant touch a 5 speed. no doubt...
Old 10-24-2003, 10:35 AM

Here in Tampa there are lots of sr swaps and only one is running under the 13 second mark. It takes a lot of time money frustration and diappointment to get that little four banger to perform. With all the money spent on a 240sr or even a high power ka, you would be way ahead of the game in your max.
Somehow I have a hard time believing you have talked to many, if any, people that actually 'have' a VB mod. I have one myself and can testify to improvements and peace of mind it has made for me.
And to the comment about an auto not being able to tough a 5-speed, please. Mine is has worked out better for me than all but 2 guys on the org, 5-speed or auto. BTW...how many manuals do you see in professional drag racing. And for real road racing like F1 and such, I believe those are auto also.
Old 10-24-2003, 10:48 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by tampamax
And for real road racing like F1 and such, I believe those are auto also.
But, they do not have torque converters.
Old 10-24-2003, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by tampamax
Here in Tampa there are lots of sr swaps and only one is running under the 13 second mark. It takes a lot of time money frustration and diappointment to get that little four banger to perform. With all the money spent on a 240sr or even a high power ka, you would be way ahead of the game in your max.
Somehow I have a hard time believing you have talked to many, if any, people that actually 'have' a VB mod. I have one myself and can testify to improvements and peace of mind it has made for me.
And to the comment about an auto not being able to tough a 5-speed, please. Mine is has worked out better for me than all but 2 guys on the org, 5-speed or auto. BTW...how many manuals do you see in professional drag racing. And for real road racing like F1 and such, I believe those are auto also.

So you're saying it'd be easier to mod a max up to the performance level of a SR20DET equipped 240sx? So should I just save up for boost?

And also, since my car has so much milage (sp?) on it, would adding boost destroy the engine? Most of the miles on my max are highway miles anyhow......
Old 10-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
So you're saying it'd be easier to mod a max up to the performance level of a SR20DET equipped 240sx? So should I just save up for boost?

And also, since my car has so much milage (sp?) on it, would adding boost destroy the engine? Most of the miles on my max are highway miles anyhow......
Go to our boost forum.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by GoalieKeg
I need some tips about impoving the autotragic lag in the max. I've seen the drop resistor mod, but I've also heard that it destroys the max tranny. I'm not interested in the VB mod because it seems that it doesn't yield that much advantage over stock auto. Can some that have these mods done speculate on the positive and negative effects of it? Or would it be worth it to just save up for another car (240sx with SR20 swap ), or attempt a 5spd conversion? I have 174,XXX miles on it btw.

Any other ideas appreciated.

Dan
Look I have 143k on my Max. Just yesterday I was talking to the guy's who work on my car about the 5 speed swap and they talked me out of it. You will also need to find a 5 speed ECU! Plus I've only found two transmissions for it. Not including the pedals, cables, axle's and everything else. Protech transmissions in New York 1-866-776-8321 are going to
VB and torque converter, I'll be able to support Super Charging when they are done, which is my final plan!! My shop will ship it out & they will sen it back in about 2-3 day's.
Don't forget to do the Phantom Grip LSD conversion.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by NOMAD MAXIMA
You will also need to find a 5 speed ECU!

No.

If you wire it properly, you can use an auto ECU just fine.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by mzmtg
No.

If you wire it properly, you can use an auto ECU just fine.
Really? Ben over at JWT said I will have to put up with the check engine light but yes it will work. I just dont want to han around with the darn thing on all the time. Don't make me change my mind again! Unless you find me a full 5 speed tranny.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:22 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally Posted by NOMAD MAXIMA
Really? Ben over at JWT said I will have to put up with the check engine light but yes it will work. I just dont want to han around with the darn thing on all the time. Don't make me change my mind again! Unless you find me a full 5 speed tranny.
There are plenty of people running around with Auto ECUs in their converted 5-speeds.

Tell them Ben over at the ORG says differently.
Old 10-24-2003, 05:50 PM

I like when you guy's talk dirty.