4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hard shifting at WOT and sounds once car is off

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003 | 01:57 AM

Hard shifting at WOT and sounds once car is off

I have a 97' SE auto and when the car shifts while flooring it, there is a slight jerk. Since i just bought this car used I don't know if this is normal or if there is a problem because I am used to driving a 97' Acura 2.5TL.

Also, once i turn off the car i hear sounds coming from the engine bay like something is kinda crackling or settling or something. I also smelled a slight rubbery smell when i put my nose near the grill. Is all this stuff pretty normal for the maxima?
Old 10-26-2003 | 02:49 AM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

What up, I noticed u are from Mo town, I live about 30 mins away from there. I dunno about the shifting but the sounds from the engine. Does it sound like a ticking noise? If so, then that is normal.
Old 10-26-2003 | 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Iilac
What up, I noticed u are from Mo town, I live about 30 mins away from there. I dunno about the shifting but the sounds from the engine. Does it sound like a ticking noise? If so, then that is normal.

yep, from motwn and i bought this car in manteca. we should meet up some time. you know of any good shops around this area? I have no experience with installing parts. The most I know how to do is put gas in the car. I will definately be getting a y-pipe and intake(or should i just hack the airbox?) and a tranny cooler since it seems pretty easy to do.

yeah, come to think of it, it is kinda like a ticking noise which i am guessing is from the components settling or something after being run.
and about the shifting, i don't even know if its hard shifting or not since i do not know how it's supposed to be.
Old 10-26-2003 | 06:51 AM

The ticking is normal and you'll learn to ignore it after a while. I don't notice it anymore unless someone reminds me about it. I just noticed the sound yesterday when my friend pointed it out

Do a full tuneup and clean the TB. Check the fluid level of the ATF. Don't know how many miles are on the tranny, but it might need the fluid changed or the tranny might be dying
Old 10-26-2003 | 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
The ticking is normal and you'll learn to ignore it after a while. I don't notice it anymore unless someone reminds me about it. I just noticed the sound yesterday when my friend pointed it out

Do a full tuneup and clean the TB. Check the fluid level of the ATF. Don't know how many miles are on the tranny, but it might need the fluid changed or the tranny might be dying
it almost has 81k miles and how do i know for sure if it has abs or not? i bought it and they said it had abs.
Old 10-26-2003 | 06:51 PM

If it has anti-lock brakes, a light will pop up for a sec when you start the car. It's orange and says ABS and I think it's in the lower left on the guage cluster.

You can try slamming your brakes to see if they lock or not
Old 10-27-2003 | 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
If it has anti-lock brakes, a light will pop up for a sec when you start the car. It's orange and says ABS and I think it's in the lower left on the guage cluster.

You can try slamming your brakes to see if they lock or not
argh, wheels locked up when i slammed on the brakes and there is no abs light. i am ****ed since the people selling it said it had abs brakes and the main feature i wanted was abs. oh well, will probably sell the car and get a newer max in 2 or 3 years.
Old 10-27-2003 | 11:49 AM

I like my ABS It's fun when the brake pedal starts shaking when you press the brakes hard My brakes are squeaking crazyily so I need to get it fixed first
Old 10-27-2003 | 12:09 PM
2060lbs and falling...

ABS sux! It isn't any fun, ads alot of extra stuff to brake system and if you brake properly and in time you won't ever need it anyway. The clicking noise is several things. It is a ticking within the engine, the accessory side of the crank shaft(Turning pulleys make noise and the stock y-pipe). When i got a budget y-pipe i noticed that alot of this ticking goes away. The stock pipe has heat shielding around it which isn't welded solid at all points. This allows the shielding to expand in certain areas. The ticking noise is this shielding moving and changing shape.
Old 10-27-2003 | 12:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

the clicking noise should just be the sound of your heat shields
contracting (cooling off) once they have expanded
from absorbing the heat of the exhaust.

as for the abs, i prefer not to have it.
I always thought ABS was one of those things they put on cars
for women drivers who don't know how to brake ( knock on wood )
Old 10-27-2003 | 01:59 PM
DoGGy

i hear a quick tickling right after i turn engine off :roflleyes:
Old 10-27-2003 | 02:10 PM

cool, as long as the brakes work well it's all good and abs is mainly for emergency situations to swerve and such. i'll be getting a y pipe sometime so that should speed things up and as a bonus quiete the ticking noise.
Old 10-27-2003 | 06:07 PM
Spelled with a I not a L for Iilac. Prounced Ii-eee-ack.

Originally Posted by Cool J
yep, from motwn and i bought this car in manteca. we should meet up some time. you know of any good shops around this area? I have no experience with installing parts. The most I know how to do is put gas in the car. I will definately be getting a y-pipe and intake(or should i just hack the airbox?) and a tranny cooler since it seems pretty easy to do.

yeah, come to think of it, it is kinda like a ticking noise which i am guessing is from the components settling or something after being run.
and about the shifting, i don't even know if its hard shifting or not since i do not know how it's supposed to be.

Hmm, well for the ypipe, I took it to a midas shop in Merced where Nismo lives and they did it for me. I think it was around 50 bux. Intake shouldn't be too hard to do. I have a PR HAI so I have no experience with the hacked airbox mod. But everyone says it is good so that be a cheaper way to go. Also do you have 2k1 SE wheels on your max? I saw a neptune color max with 2k1 se wheels at Washington Mutal on Mchenry yesterday so I didn't know if that was u or not. But yeah, u should hit it up with me and Nismo. HA, now we are three strong in the Central Valley.
Old 10-27-2003 | 07:20 PM

I like my ABS since my tires don't skid if I brake hard plus it'll help my lazy *** in the snow