4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Buzzing/Vibration like noise at 65+, ONLY in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 08:04 PM

Buzzing/Vibration like noise at 65+, ONLY in cold weather

Well, last winter the car made this odd noise in the cold weather at 65+ on me, but I never got able to fix it and once the cold had gone away, I figured heck, it must be gone.

Well, last night was teh first night to dip into the 30's while I was driving around, and I got the damn noise again! It sounds like its coming from the dash, or the windsheild, but its definetly up front. And it seems to get louder when I hit the gas, not really accerlate in 5th at 65, but just creep from say 65 to 67, it gets way louder, then back off and it gets slightly quiter, go under 65, no noise, go 75 and its loud, go 85 and it goes away.

Anyone have any idea what the heck this could be??? I havent the slightest idea.

Hopefully tomorrow morning on the way to class it will be cold enough to get the noise to come up so I can try and trouble shoot where the noise really is coming from.
Old 10-26-2003, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jr'sMaxima
Well, last winter the car made this odd noise in the cold weather at 65+ on me, but I never got able to fix it and once the cold had gone away, I figured heck, it must be gone.

Well, last night was teh first night to dip into the 30's while I was driving around, and I got the damn noise again! It sounds like its coming from the dash, or the windsheild, but its definetly up front. And it seems to get louder when I hit the gas, not really accerlate in 5th at 65, but just creep from say 65 to 67, it gets way louder, then back off and it gets slightly quiter, go under 65, no noise, go 75 and its loud, go 85 and it goes away.

Anyone have any idea what the heck this could be??? I havent the slightest idea.

Hopefully tomorrow morning on the way to class it will be cold enough to get the noise to come up so I can try and trouble shoot where the noise really is coming from.
The windshield moulding between the roof and windshield, air gets underneath it the faster you go and makes a fluttering sound...check to see if the moulding is making a good seal against the glass..mine had slight space on both sides which i filled with clear silicone sealant...this may be your problem!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 11:50 AM

It wasnt cold this morning so got no chance to see, but Ill check that out later today when I go out.

Would this explain that it only happens in the cold weather though?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:29 PM

Well, I have determined HOW the noise is caused. Tonight, cruising at 80mph on the Interstate in 32 degree temps, the noise was happening. When I got behind an SUV the noise "buffeted" like, caused by the wind flowing over the other car.

I then decided to "draft" a semi truck and the noise then would come and go in the same manner, only in more drastic changes then with the SUV, as in it either did the noise or did not make the noise.

This leads me to the conclusion it is caused by the flow of the air over the car, but my seals seem to be in good shape on the windshield, so is there anywhere else I can take a look into??

Like I said earlier in the post, it DOES NOT do this at Temps above ~38F. So something with the cooler denser air causing this dang noise.