4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Adjustment of tension pulley

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2003, 11:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Adjustment of tension pulley

Hey there. During the summer I added a pulley to my max. I forgot the name of it at the moment but its on my homepage. Also, my friend and I replaced my alternator this summer which was a pain in the a**. While we trying to do that we were adjusting the tension pulley to remove the belts but no matter which way we turned it the belts never came loose. It got to the point where we had to just take off the A/C compressor to take the belt off. Well anyway I'm thinking once we put everything back together maybe the belt may be to tight since we did all the adjustments to the tension pulley and never returned the adjustments to normal. How do you know if the belts are to tight or not. I mean besides the fact that I don't really feel the gains from the pulley. Also:

1. Bear in mind that I also just replaced a cracked knock sensor and I really don't feel like I got power back from the new one.

2. I've changed PCV valve, fuel filter, plugs, and cleaned throttle body recently.

Any help would be appreciated.Thanks. Mike.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:51 AM

I just replaced my alterator again last night out in the rain.

Anyways, the belt should have enough tension to allow the belt to move 1/2". If you remove the plastic cover to access the belts, it would make things easier. Check the tension between the AC compressor and the drive pully.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:58 AM

I don't hink it even has a quarter of an inch. I'll double check though. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2003, 11:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ha ha, I thought it was me but all the instructions that I read before changing my crank pulley failed to state that the nut on the idler pulley has to be loosened. The upper tensioner adjustment only helps put it in the right place for proper tension the nut is what is used to hold it in place. Plus the silly azz Haynes manual does not tell you either. I wish I smoked weed to put some use to all that worthless paper. Time to get a real service manual. If you still have trouble just holla, I just replaced mine Sunday.

As far as the KS, do you know for sure it was bad or just had a cracked casing? You should only get gains from a new one if power was at first taken away.
Old 10-28-2003, 12:10 PM

Well I felt my low end was horrible for a long time. I mean my friend and I have the same exact mods except I'm a step above him with the pulley and he can kill me anytime. I don't understand it. Then there is a funny noise coming from by the belt. I'm thinking maybe its just to tight or something.