4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

I give up. (MEVI)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I give up. (MEVI)

Well I went to rewire it all b/c it wasnt done the way I wanted it. But before that I put a led in my gauge cluster to show when it was activated. I think that may have messed up the harlan. The harlan is showing it is coming on at the set point but no output I am guessing. The relay is working b/c I can switch the points up and it clicks. Where are you guys getting your RPM switches from besides harlan. Summit Racing? Just mad b/c tonight is the last time the track is open until next spring.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:10 PM
Moderator who thinks he is better than us with his I30

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=SUM%2D830449

Solved all my VI activation problems. You can't set the dip switches to your desired rpm since it's not made for 6 cylinder applications. You kinda have to play around to see what works best for you. I have mine at 3400 and it opens at 5400
Old 10-30-2003, 02:12 PM
ivelweyz

From reading alot about the MEVI I can't believe there are actually people who still use the Harlan switches...

Old 10-30-2003, 02:15 PM
living out of a maxima...

Maybe I just got lucky, but my Harlan has never failed me.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:19 PM
ivelweyz

You shouldn't have said that, you just jinxed yourself dude...

Old 10-30-2003, 03:24 PM

wonder what the difference is between the Middle East version and the standard Japanese version VI's...... if any
Old 10-30-2003, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by I30tMikeD
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=SUM%2D830449

Solved all my VI activation problems. You can't set the dip switches to your desired rpm since it's not made for 6 cylinder applications. You kinda have to play around to see what works best for you. I have mine at 3400 and it opens at 5400
So what would you set it to to open at 5000? Also are you running a relay? It says it uses "extensive input protection circuitry to keep the switch from blowing up if you connect it to something that draws too much current." So no need for relay? Can I still use my led in the gauge cluster, I am assuming I can. The harlan was starting to play out. It works sometimes and sometimes dont.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by LastBoyScout
wonder what the difference is between the Middle East version and the standard Japanese version VI's...... if any
I'm pretty sure the MEVI and the JDMVI are one in the same, they are both resonance tuned and don't feature the actual long and short runners like the 5th gen VIS. Nevertheless it flows better than the stock long runners on 4th gens.

TK
Old 10-31-2003, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by 96shogunmax
So what would you set it to to open at 5000? Also are you running a relay? It says it uses "extensive input protection circuitry to keep the switch from blowing up if you connect it to something that draws too much current." So no need for relay? Can I still use my led in the gauge cluster, I am assuming I can. The harlan was starting to play out. It works sometimes and sometimes dont.
You would have to play with it a bit to get it to open at 500, maybe 3K?? I used the track to find my best setting. If I go any lower or higher I loose a little bit of trap speed.

Don't need a relay with this switch. Just power it off the cig lighter fuse.

There would be no problem using an LED, actually there will be an unused wire and it powers off at the given rpm. So you could use that one.
Old 10-31-2003, 04:38 AM
Permanent Maxima.org Resident

they all originate in japan... mevi's just wind up in the middle east... oh.. one difference, the egr port is plugged if you actually get one from the middle east.

Old 10-31-2003, 06:01 AM

Well I went to rewire it all b/c it wasnt done the way I wanted it. But before that I put a led in my gauge cluster to show when it was activated. I think that may have messed up the harlan. The harlan is showing it is coming on at the set point but no output I am guessing. The relay is working b/c I can switch the points up and it clicks. Where are you guys getting your RPM switches from besides harlan. Summit Racing? Just mad b/c tonight is the last time the track is open until next spring.

Now you see why I got so frustrated. A whole damn week of that BS.

Get the one from Summit Racing.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:02 AM

Mine is from Japan. It's the same.
Old 10-31-2003, 06:21 AM
ejj

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
From reading alot about the MEVI I can't believe there are actually people who still use the Harlan switches...
I've been using them for years...no problems at all.
Old 10-31-2003, 10:52 AM

You would have to play with it a bit to get it to open at 500, maybe 3K?? I used the track to find my best setting. If I go any lower or higher I loose a little bit of trap speed.

Don't need a relay with this switch. Just power it off the cig lighter fuse.

There would be no problem using an LED, actually there will be an unused wire and it powers off at the given rpm. So you could use that one.
So wired off the cig lighter means it only comes on when the car is on, my harlan was wired up to stay on all the time so it didnt lose the settings. I wont lose the settings if I wire it up like that?,(but this one has a dial so it might work like that?) or does it have a constant power wire and a off/on wire? BTW, I ordered one today. $45.99. And it has two output wires?

ejj - you said you been using them for years, does that mean you had to buy another one?
Old 10-31-2003, 11:19 AM

So wired off the cig lighter means it only comes on when the car is on, my harlan was wired up to stay on all the time so it didnt lose the settings. I wont lose the settings if I wire it up like that?,(but this one has a dial so it might work like that?) or does it have a constant power wire and a off/on wire? BTW, I ordered one today. $45.99. And it has two output wires?
You did not have to have the harlan powred by the battery because it would not have lost it's setting if it did not have power. Either will the summit switch, so you will have no problems using the cig for power. The summit can not have power and it will retain it's settings.

It does have two out put wires. One that has power until the desired rpms is reached and another that has power once the desired rpm is reached. Of course you will use the one that does not send a signal until the desired rpm is reached. The other could be used to power your led, but it would work backwards and be on all the time unitl the VI activated. The summit is much easier to use than the harlan.
Old 10-31-2003, 11:48 AM

Most of the parts for Japanese imports are manufactured in Japan, and sent to the US for assembly.
Old 10-31-2003, 12:00 PM
ejj

ejj - you said you been using them for years, does that mean you had to buy another one?
I had a harlen window switch with my NOS kit, but I sold it with the kit. Bought a RPM switch to use with my MEVI. No problems with either.
Old 11-01-2003, 04:49 AM

You did not have to have the harlan powred by the battery because it would not have lost it's setting if it did not have power. Either will the summit switch, so you will have no problems using the cig for power. The summit can not have power and it will retain it's settings.

It does have two out put wires. One that has power until the desired rpms is reached and another that has power once the desired rpm is reached. Of course you will use the one that does not send a signal until the desired rpm is reached. The other could be used to power your led, but it would work backwards and be on all the time unitl the VI activated. The summit is much easier to use than the harlan.
So I can have the output to open the acuator and the led at the same time on that one wire right?
Old 11-01-2003, 06:29 AM

So I can have the output to open the acuator and the led at the same time on that one wire right?

Yep 1234567
Old 11-01-2003, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Maybe I just got lucky, but my Harlan has never failed me.

where are you guys getting the power for relay and RPM switch? I have a harlan and is worked fine so far. If it dont get RPM signal is my fault as the wire is not positioneed properly. I have to redo it again when I get a chance.

I got my power from the ECU and ran a long wire to the battery to get a positive. The cigarette lighter is not a good positive in my car. Shorts out
Old 11-01-2003, 01:41 PM

Does the power wire have to be a constant power or can it be a switched power. The harlan is suppose to run on a constant power, am I correct?
Old 11-01-2003, 07:28 PM

constant for both positives. The cig lighter was not a good positive. It would work sometimes and others it would die. I just ran a long wire to st8t to the positive side of the battery. Works just fine now.
Old 11-01-2003, 08:45 PM

I kind of see what that thing does, but why would you need one?
Old 11-01-2003, 09:37 PM

Man, I dont have the Mid-Eastern Variable Intake, but uh, why the hell does my Car pull hard all the way to red-line? She pulls harder the high the RPMS... Im sorry and it's proble hard to belive, but my max has no MEVI to my knowledge, but, she doesn't lose any power until 7k rpms(red-line).

Don't Criticize. Just tell me why you think Im pulling hard all the way to 7k rpms with acually a gain in power at higher RPMS. No SC or TC, only WS Y-pipe & PR CAI.
Automatic GXE 1998
Old 11-01-2003, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Tight_Whip
Man, I dont have the Mid-Eastern Variable Intake, but uh, why the hell does my Car pull hard all the way to red-line? She pulls harder the high the RPMS... Im sorry and it's proble hard to belive, but my max has no MEVI to my knowledge, but, she doesn't lose any power until 7k rpms(red-line).

Don't Criticize. Just tell me why you think Im pulling hard all the way to 7k rpms with acually a gain in power at higher RPMS. No SC or TC, only WS Y-pipe & PR CAI.
Automatic GXE 1998
7k sure.........
Old 11-02-2003, 01:43 AM

Automatic GXE 1998
Your butt dyno has to be re-calibrated. Get a real dyno and post it up here if you really don't lose power above 5,000 RPM.
Old 11-02-2003, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
where are you guys getting the power for relay and RPM switch? I have a harlan and is worked fine so far. If it dont get RPM signal is my fault as the wire is not positioneed properly. I have to redo it again when I get a chance.

I got my power from the ECU and ran a long wire to the battery to get a positive. The cigarette lighter is not a good positive in my car. Shorts out
Mine is wired straight to the battery and the RPM signal is wired off coil #1.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:57 AM

Automatic GXE 1998
What type of ECU do you have?

put your car on the dyno and watch your HP and torque curve. I bet after thoroughly looking at the dyno sheet, youll be on the horn ordering a MEVI.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by JAY25
What type of ECU do you have?

put your car on the dyno and watch your HP and torque curve. I bet after thoroughly looking at the dyno sheet, youll be on the horn ordering a MEVI.
LOL, yeah proble, but, if i shifted at 5k when racing, the other guy would tear me a new @ss hole, the longer i stay in gear the further away I pull. Atleast this is what i've learned through all my races. Hey, im more than willing to hear any other tips you guys have for racing with an automatic. 1-2-D are my only options. Only thing i really could to is keep it in Drive and let the autoshift the gears @ 6500.
Old 11-02-2003, 07:56 AM
ivelweyz

That really sounds like BS. The engine starts losing power like crazy close to 6000rpm or so, maybe earlier. You staying on it til redline, 6600rpm not 7000, you are not doing yourself a favor. Also why would you shift at 5krpm when the max hp is at 5600rpm or so...

Old 11-02-2003, 09:19 AM

Because you dono better? I don't think you know the difference till you ride in a car with a VI or see a video of the tach of a car with VI.

Automatic GXE 1998
Old 11-02-2003, 10:26 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

LOL, yeah proble, but, if i shifted at 5k when racing, the other guy would tear me a new @ss hole, the longer i stay in gear the further away I pull. Atleast this is what i've learned through all my races. Hey, im more than willing to hear any other tips you guys have for racing with an automatic. 1-2-D are my only options. Only thing i really could to is keep it in Drive and let the autoshift the gears @ 6500.
The US-spec 4th gen VQ looses power after 5400rpms and that's a fact no one can dispute, but shift points are an entirely different thing. Just because power falls off at 5400rpms doesn't mean you shift at 5400rpms. Ideal shift points are determined by gear ratio, torque to the wheels, and entry torque on gear change. I don't know about the auto, but the ideal shift points for a 4th gen VQ 5 speed are:

1-2 6600
2-3 6200
3-4 6100

As you can see, shift points don't always coincide with peak power rpm.

Dave
Old 11-02-2003, 11:08 AM

if u want to run a LED u have to tap into the vacuum power leads(comming off the harlan) this is the way i hae it and it works fine and BTW im running power from cig lighter, and signal from coil... i have no problems other than a ~300rpm correction factor (ex. set at 4800rpm to activate at 5100rpm) .. but then again i dont have a cig lighter.. i removed it for a project im doing
Old 11-04-2003, 08:14 PM

Ok I got the summit switch and it doesnt work. The solenoid works, I tested it. The coil is tapped right, tested that. Wired it up according to the instructions. Even set it at the lowest setting. NOTHING! I will be sending this POS back. Now I guess I will have to wait 8 months for another harlan.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:19 PM

Ok I got the summit switch and it doesnt work. The solenoid works, I tested it. The coil is tapped right, tested that. Wired it up according to the instructions. Even set it at the lowest setting. NOTHING! I will be sending this POS back. Now I guess I will have to wait 8 months for another harlan.
The summit will not work off the coil pack. You need to tap into the tach wire on the ECU.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:22 PM

The summit will not work off the coil pack. You need to tap into the tach wire on the ECU.
Theres the answer I was looking for. Also you said 3250 is 5400 rpm setting? So if I used 3200 flat I should be 5200ish? Now all I got to do is find that wire.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:49 PM

Theres the answer I was looking for. Also you said 3250 is 5400 rpm setting? So if I used 3200 flat I should be 5200ish? Now all I got to do is find that wire.
The summit is only adjustable in 200rpm increments. I use 3400, Although I may have told you 3200 previously. 3400 gives me a VI activation at an indicated 5300-5500 rpms.

The wire you need off the ECU is White with a green stripe.
Old 11-04-2003, 08:53 PM

The summit is only adjustable in 200rpm increments. I use 3400, Although I may have told you 3200 previously. 3400 gives me a VI activation at an indicated 5300-5500 rpms.

The wire you need off the ECU is White with a green stripe.

So I may try 3200 on mine. My VI seemed to do well on 5000 setting the best. Thanks alot, I tried to hit you up on AIM but you wasnt on. Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:03 PM

The wire is a littel hard to find. First, looking at the ECU with the harness attached and mounted, the wire will be to the left of the harness bolt.

Remove the harness and take off the plastic cover. Cut back a few inches of the wrap that bundles the wires toghther so you have room to sort through the wires. The easiest place to find the wire is near the pin hole, but I would recomend tapping it higher up.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:41 AM

My VI never has problems. oh wait, this is the 4th gen forums

TK

Quick Reply: I give up. (MEVI)