4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Belt Replacement Question & Y-Pipe Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 10:28 PM

Belt Replacement Question & Y-Pipe Question

A few weeks ago I noticed that both my belts are looking cracked. The alt/ac belt primarily worse than the PS belt. So I went and bought Dayco belts for replacement at 20 bucks a piece. The look alot more durable compared to the Nissan OEM belts but anyway, I was able to mess with the tensioner enough to loosen the alt/ac belt and removed then went to see about removing the PS belt. Found the so-called "tensioner" for that and was reading in the Chilton manual that there's a bolt I have to loosen on the other side of the PS pump. So I jacked up the car even more and went under to find this bolt. I think I found it...but with all the tools my dad has, I am unable to reach it. The main item in the way it the huge cat on the y-pipe. Now I've been wanting to replace the y-pipe for an aftermarket pipe but wanted to do routine maintenance and get it ready for winter before doing so. But now I have just replaced the one belt since the PS belt seems to be in ok condition for now. So I am browsing at all the y-pipes available for our cars and wonder which one to get. I think I might rather want the stillen race pipe compared to the WS or budget pipes. But would like everyone's opinion on which one to get if money is not an issue. I don't mind spending the 350 for a little bit more hp than the 150-200 dollar ones. Also, my other question is, does anyone know what bolt on the PS pump that I'm talking about? And how to get at it? Or an easier way to replace the PS belt?

Please reply for one or both questions.

Thanks a ton to all in advance!

Ryan

'95 Black GXE 5-Spd...HKS intake...Clear corners...50% tint all around
Old 11-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I replaced that belt when I had the lower engine craddle, axle shafts and y-pipe out of the way for doing a new timing chain and clutch and it was still a bear. You can kind of get at it through the wheel well, but definately can't see what you're doing. If you are going to replace Y-pipe soon, just wait and do it then.

If money is no object, at the very least get a stainless system, rather than painted or aluminized. Also go mandrel bent, not the cheap compression bent. WarpSpeed is my preference as Dallas has taken care of me twice now.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I just installed a UDP so I feel your pain. The easiest way to get to the PS pump bolt is to get a ratchet, two 5 or 6 inch extensions, a universal joint, and a flash light. Get under the car right by that protective beam in the center of the front end of the car pictured below.

From the driver's side of this beam position youself where the water pump is and look up about 45 degrees. There should be a lonesome bolt looking back at you. If you can't recognize it, try finding it by first reaching up at it from directly beneathe it and sticking a socket on it, I believe it's 14mm. Then looking at it from the previous position. Hope this helps.