4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Hub Shark vs. Hub Tamer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hub Shark vs. Hub Tamer?

My Max? 96 SE Auto w/110K miles.

Went to Firestone last week to pick up some Bridgestone RE950's. Had a 4 for the price of 3 coupon, so it worked out to $85 per tire, same as TireRack. Mechanic points out play in both front wheels. Sure enough, looks like the wheel bearings are done. I say thanks for the info and I will take care of it later.

Called the local Nissan stealership and they wanted $657.00 to replace both front bearings (!!) The lowest estimate from another shop is $325. I think I'll tackle this myself.

I replaced the front axles a few weeks ago , so I'm sure I can handle this. (not sure why I didn't notice the bad bearings) Just gotta have the right tools...

My wife has a 97 Max SE with 100K+ mileage, so I figure I'll have to do those eventually, as well. Might as well buy the right tool now.

It looks like my best bets are either the Hub Tamer, or the Hub Shark. This site has them both for about the same price (which is about the lowest I've seen):

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW423.html

Anyone have any pro or con arguments about either tool? The Tamer looks like it might be easier to use, but the Shark looks a little more stout.

TIA,
Dezmond
Old 11-09-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by dezmond
My Max? 96 SE Auto w/110K miles.

Went to Firestone last week to pick up some Bridgestone RE950's. Had a 4 for the price of 3 coupon, so it worked out to $85 per tire, same as TireRack. Mechanic points out play in both front wheels. Sure enough, looks like the wheel bearings are done. I say thanks for the info and I will take care of it later.

Called the local Nissan stealership and they wanted $657.00 to replace both front bearings (!!) The lowest estimate from another shop is $325. I think I'll tackle this myself.

I replaced the front axles a few weeks ago , so I'm sure I can handle this. (not sure why I didn't notice the bad bearings) Just gotta have the right tools...

My wife has a 97 Max SE with 100K+ mileage, so I figure I'll have to do those eventually, as well. Might as well buy the right tool now.

It looks like my best bets are either the Hub Tamer, or the Hub Shark. This site has them both for about the same price (which is about the lowest I've seen):

http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TTW423.html

Anyone have any pro or con arguments about either tool? The Tamer looks like it might be easier to use, but the Shark looks a little more stout.

TIA,
Dezmond
Dude, if I were you i'd buy the whole entire hub assembly instead of just bearings. You'll save a lot of time and I don't think it costs too much more....but if the hub costs a lot more than bearing then just buy the bearings and do the work yourself. Sorry, no tips on tools
Old 11-09-2003, 03:46 PM
ivelweyz

Aren't the bearings a part of the front axles???

Old 11-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by ivelweyz
Aren't the bearings a part of the front axles???

They are a sepereate piece. They are inside the wheel hub assembly. I had to get both of mine replaced within the last few months. My right one was replaced first along with the wheel hub (it was very crunchy and scored my hub). The left one I had changed early enough that it did not score my wheel hub, they just took the old one out, and pressed the new one in.

Since getting this done my steering wheel vibration at highway speed has dramatically decreased. I had totally given up on how to get this vibration fixed.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by PoePoe2797
Dude, if I were you i'd buy the whole entire hub assembly instead of just bearings. You'll save a lot of time and I don't think it costs too much more....but if the hub costs a lot more than bearing then just buy the bearings and do the work yourself. Sorry, no tips on tools

Yeah, I considered this, but I can't seem to find anybody that sells remanufactured hub assemblies.

I went ahead and purchased the Hub Tamer from etoolcart.com. I'll pick up the bearings this week and tear it all apart when the tool arrives.

Dezmond