4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Some ***** tried to break into my car last night!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:39 PM

Some ***** tried to break into my car last night!!

Here's the story: I woke up this morning and went to school as usual, but when I got on the highway, I heard the wind get in from the passenger's side door and I was thinking that maybe the window wasn't shut properly but when I tried to shut or open it, it didn't move. I heard that the mecanism works right but for some reason the window didn't want to open. So I stopped the car and look from outside and what did I see?!? The upper part of my door was like 5" out!!! I was like what the F@%&!! I then concluded that someone tried to break in to get something or I dunno... But screw that ***** who did this to my car!! It now needs like 1000 $CAN ($700US) to fix it. Should I contact my insurance for this? I dunno what to do...how much is a door anyway at the junk yard? At least paint didn't go off so I don't need anything repainting but gee...Any advice on what to do?
Old 11-11-2003, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Max-2-GTR
Here's the story: I woke up this morning and went to school as usual, but when I got on the highway, I heard the wind get in from the passenger's side door and I was thinking that maybe the window wasn't shut properly but when I tried to shut or open it, it didn't move. I heard that the mecanism works right but for some reason the window didn't want to open. So I stopped the car and look from outside and what did I see?!? The upper part of my door was like 5" out!!! I was like what the F@%&!! I then concluded that someone tried to break in to get something or I dunno... But screw that ***** who did this to my car!! It now needs like 1000 $CAN ($700US) to fix it. Should I contact my insurance for this? I dunno what to do...how much is a door anyway at the junk yard? At least paint didn't go off so I don't need anything repainting but gee...Any advice on what to do?
pay your deductable and get the insurance for all you can, might get more then you would think
Old 11-11-2003, 12:26 AM
Maxima95Tuner

If you do the insurance ****, they might raise your rates depending on your history with the vehicle. My advice is to just check the junk yards for parts that you need. I got a new door already painted and in perfect condition for 100.

Old 11-11-2003, 03:30 AM

For a possible temporary fix...roll the window down, open the door, stand between your door and the car body, brace the door with your knee, and GENTLY pull the top of the door towards you. It may not line up great, but better than having a big gap.
Old 11-11-2003, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima95Tuner
If you do the insurance ****, they might raise your rates depending on your history with the vehicle. My advice is to just check the junk yards for parts that you need. I got a new door already painted and in perfect condition for 100.
why not do it right and not do it cheap. thats what insurance is for........so they say
Old 11-12-2003, 04:28 AM

Only if you have comprehensive ....I don't think liability alone will cover it
Old 11-12-2003, 06:30 AM
Boosted like Snipes tax refund

No!!!
Insurance companies claimed billions in losses last year across all areas, including auto insurance. That's why they're diversifying into banking and refusing to underwrite new policies (at least, the majors are) You may find more than your rate being raised... You may find your policy dropped. The insurance companies are of the mind that your coverage is for the finacially crippling stuff.. not the inconvenient stuff...
Somebody broke into my Max about two weeks ago... My insurance company has heard nothing about it.
Old 11-12-2003, 07:40 AM

Why do you say 1000 $CAN ($700US)? Did you have it looked at already. The same thing happened to me with a 98 Taurus that I had and I reported it to the insurance, they gave me a few places to take it to and I picked one close to home. I asked them what they were going to do, they said they had a machine that attached to a few points on the door and it shaped it back to manuracturers spec. I envisioned in my head the "machine" beig a couple of guys doing what maxhopper said but when I asked my friend, who's uncle owns a body shop, he said that such machines exist. After I picked it up, I looked at the total bill and it was only like $80 (US). I should have asked a place first before reporting it to the insurance. The door was back to normal.

The police found a bent golf club nearby, stolen from another car trunk nearby. That's what they must have used to break in. I was one of about 10 cars that were broken into that night in my neighborhood. Probably kids screwing around, the police said they were breaking somethings, like cell phones and stealing other stuff. I had my sunglasses and a radar detector stolen. It sucks, sorry to hear about it. I see you posted this Sunday night. They broke in Friday night, huh. Friday and Saturday tend to have a lot of car break-ins. Idiots out for the night, "having fun".
Old 11-12-2003, 09:10 AM

i wouldnt take it to insurance if they will raise/drop u
Old 11-13-2003, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by techie
Why do you say 1000 $CAN ($700US)? Did you have it looked at already. The same thing happened to me with a 98 Taurus that I had and I reported it to the insurance, they gave me a few places to take it to and I picked one close to home. I asked them what they were going to do, they said they had a machine that attached to a few points on the door and it shaped it back to manuracturers spec. I envisioned in my head the "machine" beig a couple of guys doing what maxhopper said but when I asked my friend, who's uncle owns a body shop, he said that such machines exist. After I picked it up, I looked at the total bill and it was only like $80 (US). I should have asked a place first before reporting it to the insurance. The door was back to normal.
Is there a name to that machine? Where can I find a garage with that?
Old 11-14-2003, 07:04 AM

Is there a name to that machine? Where can I find a garage with that?

I'm not sure what it's called. I'll try to find out from the place that did mine or my friend and post back with anything I can find out.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:51 AM
Maxima95Tuner

Even with that machine, it still depends on how bad it's messed up. Those type of machines are made for small dents, and things that dont take paint off. If there is any paint missing, or any severe creases in the body lines, then that machine wont work.

Old 11-14-2003, 08:06 AM
-Da MTL Brown Boi-

Man i dont know what the hell is going on quebec, i live in montreal, and the day i got my dc bumper lights, i got it stolen by some son of a b***h. need to get a good alarm in this city of theives man, i'm getting compustart next week...
Old 11-14-2003, 10:48 AM

Even with that machine, it still depends on how bad it's messed up. Those type of machines are made for small dents, and things that dont take paint off. If there is any paint missing, or any severe creases in the body lines, then that machine wont work.
That would be true.
Old 11-14-2003, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by djbrown
Man i dont know what the hell is going on quebec, i live in montreal, and the day i got my dc bumper lights, i got it stolen by some son of a b***h. need to get a good alarm in this city of theives man, i'm getting compustart next week...
I know man, theyre so many sobs now that cant get their mod by themselves...it makes me so angry!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:48 PM

My brother's friend work at a garage so he bent back manually the door a little bit himself for free but I still need to get it done properly. Oh yeah no paint damage btw