4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

camshaft position sensor (what brand?) -- 1999 slow to restart after stall

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

camshaft position sensor (what brand?) -- 1999 slow to restart after stall

My Maxima is a 1999 SE 5-speed. About a month ago, I stalled the car while rolling up to a stop sign. The stall was due to driver error (poor shift into first gear). When I tried to restart the car, it would crank fine, but it would not fire.

I called AAA to get a tow, and after about 10 minutes on the phone, I tried to start the car one more time, and it started (after a few turns more than normal).

The engine light came on after the stall, and the code given was 0101 - camshaft position sensor. I reset the engine light and drove the car for another couple of weeks, when the same thing happened again. I stalled the car coming into first gear, and it would not restart. This time, it took about 25 minutes before it would restart. (While waiting, I would give the car 5-10 minutes between attempts to restart)

The engine light came on again and gave the same code (0101). After research at the .org, I went out and got the Haynes guide and a multimeter to test the camshaft position sensor.

I measured the resistance across the sensor terminals at 1660 ohms. That is in the range for a Hitachi-made sensor, but I could not find any identifying brand on the sensor. There was only a Nissan logo stamp, and the following codes:

RS-306
---------
38U01

I cleaned the sensor with a rag and put it back in the car. Then I stalled it a few times on purpose to try and duplicate the problem from before. The car started fine every time and the engine light did not return.

Do I assume I fixed the problem by cleaning the sensor? This post:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....77#post2465184

suggests cleaning the sensor to fix a weak signal. I'm just not convinced I've fixed the problem, because I don't know if the sensor tested out OK.

Does anyone know how I may identify the brand of the camshaft position sensor given the codes above?

Thanks,
-E
Old 11-19-2003, 11:38 AM

cleaning did not fix -- problem is related to temperature

I have determined that my car will stall and fail to restart (for up to 30 minutes) under the following conditions:

1. The temperature is cold ( below 40F )
2. The engine is fully warmed up ( temp gauge halfway between C and H )
3. The car is coming to, starting from, or at rest

This made me think the engine coolant temperature sensor could be the problem, as many people on this forum have had stalling problems related to this sensor. Is it possible for the engine coolant temperature sensor to be faulty and have the ECM throw the 0101 - camshaft position sensor code?

Can anyone tell me based on the numbers in the previous post what brand my camshaft position sensor is? The resistance measured 1720 ohms yesterday, which is within the normal range for a Hitachi sensor (per Haynes), but I cannot find any brand on the part.

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2003, 02:11 PM

Found part in KEM parts listing

I found the camshaft position sensor with part number 23731 38U01 in the parts listing here:

http://www.kemparts.com/scripts/NewAF_BG.pdf

The KEM part number is 147-748, found on page 44 of their catalog (page 46 of the pdf).

KEM only sells to dealers, however. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I may determine the proper resistance range for this part, given that I cannot tell if it was manufactured by Hitachi or Mitsubishi?

Thanks.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by sacked
Is it possible for the engine coolant temperature sensor to be faulty and have the ECM throw the 0101 - camshaft position sensor code?
The engine coolant temp sensor has nothing to do with your camshaft position sensor. If your getting only that code each time your car fails, I think it's safe to assume you need a new sensor.

If I were you, I'd buy it from Nissan too.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:21 PM

Thanks for the note. I wasn't sure if this could be a case of a "ghost code" since the problem occurs when the outside temperature is cold. The temperature is what made me think it could be the ECTS or air intake TS.

Unfortunately, testing the resistance of the CPS per Haynes didn't yield any useful information since I can't tell what brand the sensor is.

RE: purchasing the part, I only referenced KEM (who doesn't deal with end users anyway) because their site had the only mention of the matching part number I have found.

I will order a new CPS from Jerry Rome Nissan.

Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2003, 04:33 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Let us know how you make out.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:42 AM

fixed with new CPS

I purchased a new camshaft position sensor from Jerry Rome Nissan. The installation took about two minutes.

I haven't had any starting problems since.

BTW, I highly recommend Jerry Rome Nissan, and specifically, dealing with Ken, the parts manager. He was very helpful and offered a good price on the part.