4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Misfiring bad..Please help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 08:13 AM

Good to hear people's problems are getting resolved like mine are. Mine was yet another coil...but Vlad, your's does sound like an injector prob.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:58 AM

NOT MY PROBLEMS! (

After replacing 2 injectors, no more multiple misfire. Only misfire in cylinder #2. Cylinder #2 has a new injector, so it must be the wires or coil pack, but I had already checked them a week ago and they were good.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by JeEvE
My car works great now, doesnt miss at all. None of my injectors were bad, they were just clogged and they needed some of the injector cleaner to get through.

Vlad, seems like it is definitly the injector. You can try to get an injector cheap from a junkyard, I think its somewhere around $80 online. Taking off the manifold might be a problem, Im happy I didnt have to do it because im a . Good luck, hope you can get this fixed.

JeEve, did the Techron clear the injectors? or Did you clean them another way/chemical?

Good to here car running fine again.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Poored in some injector cleaner stuff today. Car runs pretty crappy and I do not think I can afford a new injector.... huh, I spent so much on maintenece that I can forget about lowering the car this winter....
Old 12-11-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad
Poored in some injector cleaner stuff today. Car runs pretty crappy and I do not think I can afford a new injector.... huh, I spent so much on maintenece that I can forget about lowering the car this winter....
I know exactly how you feel. I spent about $250 on 2 new injectors and new plugs.
Old 12-11-2003, 06:52 PM

Yep, I spent more than that, it sucks!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad
Vlad:

Your #1 injector, if you can't get an ohm reading off the big 8 connector harness, is dead. The same thing happened to me (no ohm reading). On Jeeve's car, all his injectors tested ok, so....the injectors were "working", but his injector/s were clogged.

Hopefully in the future you can try a junkyard injector for about $30. Unfortunately, it's a slight PITA to get to injector #1 (got a haynes or chiltons?), but well worth any shop charges.
Old 12-11-2003, 09:16 PM

Amazing what u all been through.

I also have posted that I have a slight hesistation, but only if I accelerate hard and after 3500 rpms in 3rd gear. Sometimes it happens,, sometimes it don't. Very weird.
Car drives fine and sound nice. If I just like a normal grandpa,,, the car will not hesistate at all.
I ran some gas treatment.. seems like it still has a hesistation sometimes.... but only if I ride it hard. I do it again after the hesistation,,, and ran smooth driving hard. I think my car might be on crack . Nah but really,, what are your guys suggestions on what I should check?

I did run a computer check on it and I did get a code P0305 (@ autozone) and was told it was CyC#5 has a missfire.

I seems like its not a biggie,, but if my buddy in his 02 Mustang wanna run,, I might get into a bind and get the hesistation after 3500rpms in 3rd gear. Like I said sometimes it happens and sometimes it wont.

U think I should get my injectors cleaned out?
And maybe say F*ck It and replace the spark plugs. What ya guys think??
Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Shift, try to check the coil pack on cyl 5, it might be going soon. Clear the codes and switch the coil pack with cyl 1 or 3 and just drive for a while and check the code to see if its on the cyl you switched cyl 5 coil pack to. If its still cyl 5 misfire then change the plugs. If that does nothing then try to check the resistence on the cyl 5 fuel injector.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 PM

Guys, thanks a lot for input, I appreciate your help here. I think I am gonna get an injector from junk yard and disassamble the manifold with my uncle on Saturday (if I don't have to work). He is good with cars. Yes, Haynes gonna be helpful there, I've got it. Also I need to replace Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor ($25 from Autozone), gonna put new Redline MT-90 in transmission and if will have any time left will flush cooling system. Lots of work to do.

Shift, I also think it might be your coil pack, I can similar symptoms two month ago with mine, so check it out.

one more question, when I remove intake manifold to reach injector, would you advise to put a new gasket in there. it also looks I have a little bit of oil leaking in the area of coilpack on cylinder 3.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:36 PM

OK, guys have some update here. LONG.... scroll down for brief message!!

Yesteday, on Saturday, I went to my uncle. First thing we went to the friend of his who's hot a shop and works with Nissans, but that guy was saying my coils were bad. He did few tests, put another coil in (used, I paid nothing so I did not mind), and checked ECU for codes. I had there a code to replace Coolant Temperature Sensor so he said first thing do that and then will see, I was like what it has to do with misfiring??? But anyway I was planning to fix that anyway and flush cooling system as well. I did that when we got back, replaced sensor and put new coolant in, but uncle unfortunately got tied up with his work so we did not replase injesctor and he still was very skeptical that it was one. His advice when I left, was to check sparks one more time and coils.

Today, Sunday, ECU threw a code for EVAP valve, I cleaned it up and went ahead with checkin sparks. All of them looked allright, I tested them too, though when I got first spark out, connected to coil, and had mom cracnk the engine, lots of smoke started getting out from cylinder. Yea, stupid me, I got spark out so what could I expect. I ran to Autozne got two Bosch platinums (they didn't have NGKs). Checked all sparks and coils one more time, still all clues point to cylinder number one. I bought some used coils from other Org member, still waiting for them, cause I still wanna believe it's not injector, but looks like I will have to take IM off to get to it. Gonna buy used injector tomorrow and put it on on Tuesday. I checked ECU one more time for codes and finally it gave code (0608, 0201) cylinder 1 misfire and Ignition Signal Circuit. I am also thinking replacing the gasket along for intake manifold.

BRIEF: Did more tests, consulted more people, everyone says it is not injector, though I believe it is one. I've got coil packs in mail but I will go ahead and put another used injector in, cuz I believe that sucker is causing problems.

Thanks if you managed to read it all and thank you for taking a look at my problems, hope it's gonna be useful some day for other people who run into trouble with their cars.

Vlad.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:38 PM

OK couple of things I'd think about: When you removed sparkplug #1 (including coil pack), you saw smoke? When I did the same thing, it sounded horrible, but I didn't see any smoke (maybe u have piston ring/compression or valve leakage??). What color (white tinge?, blue....)? How long did u see smoke for?

Secondly....I didn't replace the intake manifold (IM) gasket because I was cheap. Secondly on cheapness....I've read it's "normal" for the intake manifold to sweat causing oil grime to appear on it. I've received no codes since I remove the IM and re-installed this last week (indicating no giant intake leakage)...but quite frankly if I had the foresight and money...I woulda done the gasket. Now if I ever receive a code related to IM leaks....it's easy for me to remove the IM since I've already done it.

Of course, if $25 would fix the coolant temp sensor...I woulda done that along time ago. It would have clarified any current issues, and one thing I...at all costs try not to do...is overheat the engine (or otherwise have a weak spot in sensors telling me my engine has overheated). Thoughts?
Old 12-15-2003, 05:50 AM

Keep us posted bro.

Yesterday I went out and got some new plugs for my #5 misfire. To find out when I took my plug out in cyc #5 and #1 the plugs looked great. LIKE NEW.

So I just switched coil packs from #5 and put it to #1 (vise versa). I reset the ECU and been driving it today. Knock on Wood I am hopeing that the #5 coil pack before I took it off was not really getting a good connection with the the PLUG. (I hope).

So far everythings runs great. Just filled her up today.

I will keep you all up to date also.

Laters
Old 12-15-2003, 03:15 PM

Posted by izzydig - Today at 12:38 AM
OK couple of things I'd think about_: When you removed sparkplug #1 (including coil pack), you saw smoke? When I did the same thing, it sounded horrible, but I didn't see any smoke (maybe u have piston ring/compression or valve leakage??). What color (white tinge?, blue....)? How long did u see smoke for?
Black smoke came out only when mom cranked the car, it wasn't really thick black, mild?... When I saw it I told her to cut ignition off right away, cuz got a little scared that I will brake smth.

maybe u have piston ring/compression or valve leakage??).
Let's hope I don't!!

Visited some junkyards today, no one has used injectors and they said they doubt anyone sells them used. So I will get new one tomorrow at Autozone ($100!!!!) and will install it after work, I expect it to take me 5 hours at least. Anything I should mind or be extra cautious when taking IM off and putting it back on (I will follow Haynes).
Old 12-15-2003, 05:26 PM

FIXED MY CAR!! WOOOOOOHOOOO! thepartsbin.com has Bosch fuel injectors, $81 w/ free shipping.
Old 12-16-2003, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by gabex
FIXED MY CAR!! WOOOOOOHOOOO! thepartsbin.com has Bosch fuel injectors, $81 w/ free shipping.
Congrats man! Glad for you!!!! Yea, I found some cheaper injectors too online but there is a big meet coming up in CT and I wanna be ther with my car working, so I am willing to pay 20 bucks more in order to injector in my hands right away and just put it in. I am so fed up with that low growl noice the cylinder togeher with cat-back makes....
Old 12-16-2003, 04:56 AM

Yeah, I was happy to have it done. Ended up replacing spark plugs and 2 injectors.
Old 12-16-2003, 09:49 PM

Where can I find instructions on replacing injectors in the back?

I checked the FAQ's and How to's but no luck. Opening the upper intake manifold seems like a big job and I feel safer if there are some specific instructions to make sure nothing goes wrong.
Originally Posted by gabex
Yeah, I was happy to have it done. Ended up replacing spark plugs and 2 injectors.
Old 12-19-2003, 07:10 AM

Allright guys, I did it. I am so excited, my Baby is breathing again!!! It was a hell of a job changing that injector, took me two evenings, because I ran into verious problems. I will make a write up on this addressing those issues that Haynes does not.

Polaris GT, if you have some patience, I am gonna post pics with tips soon!

Took me in total about 6 hours, if I would have to do it second time, I believe it would be then no more than 3!

Thanks again guys!