4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

What does wax and polish do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 05:43 AM

hey guys i just want to find out what the difference between wax and polish? which one should i do first? and what's are some good brands? sorry to ask this stupid question but i am new at this!!! thanx in advance.............
Old 02-23-2001, 07:06 AM
napster

1Phat Max:
Wax will give the paint a protective coating. Polish or glaze is what actually feeds the paint and depending on product cleans and fills in minor scratches and gives the paint its rich deep shine. Polish I find is generally to harsh on paint. I use 3M hand glaze followed by a coat of one grand blitz car wax. One thing to note is that you should not glaze the paint in direct sunlight as this will degrade the glaze. All the info I have just given can be accessed by going to the web site (www.carcareonline.com). THe guy who runs it is Larry Reynolds and he is a true data base of car detailing. I have been purchasing products from him for the past two years and have been very satisfied with him. Hope this helps.

Napster.

Old 02-23-2001, 05:34 PM

You polish the car before you wax it. The polish is an oil rich paste which brings out the deep gloss and lustre of the paint. But, polish does nothing to protect the paint. You need to put on a coat of wax afterwards to protect the paint.

Meguiars has a very good three stage system. It's called Meguiars Gold Class or something like that. First you use the paint cleaner, then polish, and then finish off by waxing. It literally takes the whole afternoon, but it's totally worth it.