4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

modified stock airbox ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 10:28 AM

modified stock airbox ?

I have seen how alot of you guys have done this but whats the best way to do it? where to put the hole how big to make the hole? and any other tips. also just wondering would doing this screw with the warrenty cause my car only has 34k and i got that 100k warrenty, and you know how the guys at the dealership are if they can blame it on you they will just so they dont have to fix it.

thanks
Old 11-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Jedi Knight

There have been some pics on it...but just FYI though you can just take it off and see where u want to cut out. I cut out more than normal but I love the sound and increased pull (butt dyno) that I get
Old 11-19-2003, 11:11 AM

I simply took off the whole bottom part of the airbox, as well as the snorkel assembly, and fabricated a custom retention system to hold the filter in place just as firmly as it was held before. The sound is sweet beyond belief, it's far more rev happy (i don't notice a real bump in HP, however, like i said, it's much quicker to build up to redline, does everything much more smoothly). In short, all good things. Yesterday i added a Blitz LM filter, which made it sound even nicer, and made me first realize any sort of power gain.Give it a shot
Old 11-19-2003, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Defacto
I simply took off the whole bottom part of the airbox, as well as the snorkel assembly, and fabricated a custom retention system to hold the filter in place just as firmly as it was held before. The sound is sweet beyond belief, it's far more rev happy (i don't notice a real bump in HP, however, like i said, it's much quicker to build up to redline, does everything much more smoothly). In short, all good things. Yesterday i added a Blitz LM filter, which made it sound even nicer, and made me first realize any sort of power gain.Give it a shot
Is the Blitz LM disposable?
Old 11-19-2003, 11:24 AM
DoGGy

Originally Posted by 99MAXSEA/T
I have seen how alot of you guys have done this but whats the best way to do it? where to put the hole how big to make the hole? and any other tips. also just wondering would doing this screw with the warrenty cause my car only has 34k and i got that 100k warrenty, and you know how the guys at the dealership are if they can blame it on you they will just so they dont have to fix it.

thanks

its pointless to do. all u get is some sound and no hp gain. just like an intake. it wont give u power unless u pair it up with full exhaust system and headers.

Old 11-19-2003, 01:47 PM

ok one thing at a time i plan on getting a full exhaust system. but what about the warrenty anyone know? what about any pics of hacked air boxes ?
Old 11-19-2003, 09:16 PM
ABK

Yeah same with me, I got a warranty on my max and I don't want those dealership guys get too me!!!
Old 11-20-2003, 04:33 AM

I went into my dealership a week ago to pick my car up, which needed to be towed and have two tires put on (the wheel lug lock key hadn't come with the tire changing kit, neccesitating the flatbed, esp. since the fronts were shredding apart) and ended up needing a new right rear brake (rotor and caliper). Not only did they give me 2 new tires free and a new key free (one key was broken) as well as an alignment, and a new brake, when Don @ State Line Nissan saw what i did to my airbox, he complimented me on how much thought i put into making it, how much smoother and more willing the engine was and how much nicer it sounded. BTW, this guy owns an '03 Altima 3.5SE 6sp w/Volk TE37s, a drop (i think he said H&Rs or Eibachs, with AGXes or Illuminas, i forget which), a custom K&N FIPK, Hotshot headers, test pipe and Greddy Dual exhaust...I love my dealership . BTW, all the stuff they replaced free, which ended up being around 1,000 dollars, they were under NO obligation to replace any of it....none at all....and i double checked with Don about the warranty thing, and he said that unless a chipmunk started eating at the filter, which I'd know about () that they'd never refuse service on the car because of that. He said that they only will make issues of things when people start N20ing their engines or boosting, but those people aren't concerned with warranty at that point anyway.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:25 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hacked mine lat weekend. Love the sound (so far) though it's kinda loud together with my catback. Don't think I gained any hp, maybe 1 or 2, buy acceleration did get smoother.

Here are some pics from the other member how to do it.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/370660/3
Old 11-20-2003, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad
Hacked mine lat weekend. Love the sound (so far) though it's kinda loud together with my catback. Don't think I gained any hp, maybe 1 or 2, buy acceleration did get smoother.

Here are some pics from the other member how to do it.

http://maxima.cardomain.com/memberpage/370660/3
are you using an aftermarket filter? If not, you'll benefit, i noticed a nicer sound, more smoothness and eagerness to rev, however, i only noticed more pull after i put on the Blitz LM filter and fabbed a little aluminum duct for cool air..
Old 11-20-2003, 09:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

No, just cut the hole in the airbox. But I am willing to try what you suggest, unless it costs too much. Would I need to modify intake to fit that filter or it pretty much goes on top instead of the airbox. Did you take the resonators off?

Thanks!

By the way, there's gonna be a meet tomorrow @3-4 p.m. (Friday) in Stamford, CT, wanna join?
Originally Posted by Defacto
are you using an aftermarket filter? If not, you'll benefit, i noticed a nicer sound, more smoothness and eagerness to rev, however, i only noticed more pull after i put on the Blitz LM filter and fabbed a little aluminum duct for cool air..
Old 11-20-2003, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad

By the way, there's gonna be a meet tomorrow @3-4 p.m. (Friday) in Stamford, CT, wanna join?
really? Sweet!!! Where's it gonna be?
Old 11-20-2003, 10:26 AM

I hacked my airbox about a month ago. I cut the whole side that faces the driver's side fender. Combined this with a K & N filter panel and had installed a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. I am very pleased with this setup. The car sounds well tuned, acceleration is excellent and it now has a mean growl everytime I take off. The muffler is not annoyingly loud and at highway speeds it has a nice low tuned hum. Does not interfere with the inside cabinet accoustics. I would recommend this setup to anyone who wants to improve the sound and performance of their vehicle.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:34 AM

The Dynomax mufflers are supposed to make nice tones..however, i'd get a Y pipe first...apparantly if you get a Y pipe and then hack the box or take off the bottom, or get an intake, you'll notice a significant gain....then a B pipe is in order, that also makes a big diff..
Old 11-20-2003, 11:02 AM

OK this is what I did.......Take off the bottom part of the airbox. I took out the generic paper filter and bought a drop in panel K&N Filter. Threw out the bottom part of the airbox. I secured the drop in panel with zip-ties. I know I know, alil ghetto. I'm planning to get the hybrid intake sometime soon....good luck with the intake and read the FAQs for anymore info.....
Old 11-20-2003, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by SleepyMaxxx68
OK this is what I did.......Take off the bottom part of the airbox. I took out the generic paper filter and bought a drop in panel K&N Filter. Threw out the bottom part of the airbox. I secured the drop in panel with zip-ties. I know I know, alil ghetto. I'm planning to get the hybrid intake sometime soon....good luck with the intake and read the FAQs for anymore info.....
Very similar to what i did, but i used little metal pieces to hold it down instead of zip ties, however, i've cut myself on those metal bits one too many times, i may switch to the zip tie method...
Old 11-20-2003, 11:38 AM

ok guys thanxs for the info.. i guess i wil have to start hacking.
Old 11-20-2003, 05:49 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I have the hacked stock airbox with a K&N filter panel and midpipe. I've run all my 14.4s with this intake. I still like it more than all my other intake setups (CAI, hybrid, HKS intake) plus it looks stock

Dave
Old 11-20-2003, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dave B
I have the hacked stock airbox with a K&N filter panel and midpipe. I've run all my 14.4s with this intake. I still like it more than all my other intake setups (CAI, hybrid, HKS intake) plus it looks stock

Dave
That's what i like best...The only way Don @ State Line Nissan knew that it wasn't stock (besides driving it, which he did after the alignment, to check for the vibration) was when he went to do the free filter change, and found a missing snorkel and that when he went to change the filter and popped off the metal brackets, a filter fell out of the box...he said that even guys who work service at dealerships would have a hard time telling it from stock just by looking at it...

I never looked into it, but if you don't care about the look, and want some extra performance, you could probably flip the whole box upside-down. If you added a little hood scoop, you'd have your own little custom Ram-air system...
Old 11-20-2003, 10:18 PM
ivelweyz

I have pretty much the same thing as DAVE B and I like it a lot too. Also you can't really flip the box around because the MAF is in the way, the square top of it. You'd have to flip the MAF as well and I don't know if the connector would reach...

Old 11-21-2003, 02:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

third page on my homepage.. click it.. mini write up on hacking it