4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:17 PM

Intake

Hey guys whats up?
Im finally getting CAI that ive been dreaming about forever

I found a place that has place racing, or injen intake. I myself like injen, ive heard good things about them, but i dont know how they perform compared to other intakes. I was wondering if u guys had any opinions. Place racing or injen? or is there something better i should get? i know that injen is true cold air cuz the filter goes wayyyyyyy down there (u have to cut part of the metal to fit it) but what do u guys think? any information on any intakes is appreciated. Maybe neither of these are good and theres something else i should get

thanks a lot

My AIM screen name is MATTtheMOUNTY if anyone wants to chat

peace

thanks a ton
Old 11-20-2003, 07:22 PM
ivelweyz

I'll save you the $250 or so and tell you to just hack your stock lower air box. It's not as shiny but works the same...

Old 11-20-2003, 07:50 PM

i cant find anything about intakes in the FAQ
yes im stupid
i dont know what to get, so im here asking for help
is it necessary to flame me and change my thing under my user name to make me feel stupid?
Old 11-20-2003, 08:08 PM

I have had both Place racing and JWT intakes. I would recommend you save your money and buy the JWT. It won't suck water into your engine like a CAI will and is over $100 cheaper...buy a Y-pipe if you haven't already. www.warpspeedperformance.com

or you could just hack up your air box if you never plan on selling your car.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by commander316
i cant find anything about intakes in the FAQ
yes im stupid
i dont know what to get, so im here asking for help
is it necessary to flame me and change my thing under my user name to make me feel stupid?
That thing under your user name changes with the number of posts you make......but i bet you feel stupid now, lol
Old 11-26-2003, 11:40 PM

Im stupid too! but i have an Injen cold air, and its friggen awesome!!! There is a big difference in performance and sound. i would definately recommend it. Compared to other Max's that i have seen with intakes, i like my setup the best
check out my page i just put out last night, its got some pics of the intake
later
http://members.cardomain.com/kilomax
Old 11-27-2003, 04:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by psx2dude
Im stupid too! but i have an Injen cold air, and its friggen awesome!!! There is a big difference in performance and sound. i would definately recommend it. Compared to other Max's that i have seen with intakes, i like my setup the best
check out my page i just put out last night, its got some pics of the intake
later
http://members.cardomain.com/kilomax
So how much hp did you gain, 4 or 5. I doubt that really changed your performance to the point that you indeed feel the change in acceleration. Maybe that is just placebo effect.
Intakes give best results paired with modded exhaust system (y-pipe, cat-back). Your site does not say that you have any of those. So consider your next mod to be y-pipe if you wanna feel the change for real.
those altezzas look good there btw...

here is a good website about intakes
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaIntakes
Old 11-27-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad
here is a good website about intakes
http://maxmods.dyndns.org/?MaximaIntakes
That website has just about everything you need to know on it. The Injen isn't the true CAI, the Place Racing is. You have to cut a hole into your fender for the Place Racing CAI, it's the TRUE one. But I am partial, since I have it I haven't tried any other intakes, so I can't compare, but I'm real happy with mine.
Old 11-27-2003, 09:20 AM

you can get true cold airs off of ebay for like 60 beans shipped...They ALL DO THE SAME THING... Dave B, who's advice i trust immensely, claims better acceleration witht he stock resonator, and a cai tube going into the fender from that...Give it a shot.. Go to procarparts.com and get their cai or get one off ebay...As far as im concerned an intake is an intake
Old 11-27-2003, 09:50 AM
Old Maxima Legend

Originally Posted by commander316
Hey guys whats up?
Im finally getting CAI that ive been dreaming about forever

I found a place that has place racing, or injen intake. I myself like injen, ive heard good things about them, but i dont know how they perform compared to other intakes. I was wondering if u guys had any opinions. Place racing or injen? or is there something better i should get? i know that injen is true cold air cuz the filter goes wayyyyyyy down there (u have to cut part of the metal to fit it) but what do u guys think? any information on any intakes is appreciated. Maybe neither of these are good and theres something else i should get

thanks a lot

My AIM screen name is MATTtheMOUNTY if anyone wants to chat

peace

thanks a ton
I have the Injen, and it performs very good, and looks great, but it does get a certain amount of hot air off the radiator. How much does this effect performance ?

We are also having lots of rain and I have experienced no problems with the intake and water consumption (lol). Of course im not trying to cross a river 4x4 style either.

I dont speak from experience on the place racing CAI, but I believe that this setup would be the best and also the best for the engine because of temperatures. I hate to give up the looks of the Injen, but one day before the coming summer I will move onto a true CAI in which I believe is what I should have gotten from the beginning. I dont like the awkward look of it in the engine bay though.

I think the difference in sound and performance is going to be minimal with any of the setups, which then makes the deceision a personal choice of taste.

If you buy the Injen, try Southwest Autoworks, and even see if they price match. Those guys will take care of you

Good Luck !
Old 11-27-2003, 10:51 AM

i heard good things about the no-name ebay intakes too, they are a true cai and as of yet i have not heard of any problems, what your gonna want to do though, is replace the filter they give you w/ a larger K&N one and then you should be just as good as if you spent the 200+ dollars on a brand name.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:54 AM

love my Place RAcing CAI. It gives u more low end, great for city, but i noticed that your higher end is a bit weaker, not much, but its harder to get to 140+ mph... Currently i'm running the stock resinator and the monster flow for the winter. As soon as spring gets in, i'm gona go back to the stock resinator and CAI.
Old 11-27-2003, 12:24 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

I am also very happy with my JWT intake. very good!
Old 11-27-2003, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
I am also very happy with my JWT intake. very good!
Good to hear Bro!!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would be interested to see if it's possible to get a good 'icebox' hooked up in a maxima.
Old 11-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Always sunny in philly

Originally Posted by 97blackSE
you can get true cold airs off of ebay for like 60 beans shipped...They ALL DO THE SAME THING... Dave B, who's advice i trust immensely, claims better acceleration witht he stock resonator, and a cai tube going into the fender from that...Give it a shot.. Go to procarparts.com and get their cai or get one off ebay...As far as im concerned an intake is an intake
Werd. its all the same shi.t. if you're going for sound, go w/short ram. Otherwise, just grab a CAI off ebay and replace the ugly midpipe.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Nice write up on your website.

One question about the Injen intakes, does the pipe and filter drop right behind the radiator, no cutting required?

I'm thinking of swaping intakes for a few reasons.

Originally Posted by Ceasars Chariot
I have the Injen, and it performs very good, and looks great, but it does get a certain amount of hot air off the radiator. How much does this effect performance ?

We are also having lots of rain and I have experienced no problems with the intake and water consumption (lol). Of course im not trying to cross a river 4x4 style either.

I dont speak from experience on the place racing CAI, but I believe that this setup would be the best and also the best for the engine because of temperatures. I hate to give up the looks of the Injen, but one day before the coming summer I will move onto a true CAI in which I believe is what I should have gotten from the beginning. I dont like the awkward look of it in the engine bay though.

I think the difference in sound and performance is going to be minimal with any of the setups, which then makes the deceision a personal choice of taste.

If you buy the Injen, try Southwest Autoworks, and even see if they price match. Those guys will take care of you

Good Luck !
Old 11-29-2003, 03:29 PM
2060lbs and falling...

Make your own hybrid setup! Like me check the homepage.