4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel Spacers For 99 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:59 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wheel Spacers For 99 Maxima

I Bought The Wildwood Big Brake Kit Last Year And Attempted To Have It Installed. However The Mechanic Said It Couldnt Fit Because I Didnt Have Enough Clearance. I Am Currently Running 18's On My Car And Have Looked High And Low For Wheel Spacers To Alleviate My Problem. Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get H&r Wheel Spacers Or The Like For The Maxima?? Im Out Of Ideas......

P.s. Im Lookin For 20 To 25mm Wheel Spacers, But Anything Can Help At This Point
Old 11-24-2003, 09:19 AM
Sin

Originally Posted by defsquad222
I Bought The Wildwood Big Brake Kit Last Year And Attempted To Have It Installed. However The Mechanic Said It Couldnt Fit Because I Didnt Have Enough Clearance. I Am Currently Running 18's On My Car And Have Looked High And Low For Wheel Spacers To Alleviate My Problem. Does Anyone Know Where I Can Get H&r Wheel Spacers Or The Like For The Maxima?? Im Out Of Ideas......

P.s. Im Lookin For 20 To 25mm Wheel Spacers, But Anything Can Help At This Point
20-25mm?! You're crazy. That's a HUGE spacer. Which exact kit did you buy? With the right offset, you should be able to get the rims to fit.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:21 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

www.optauto.com
Old 11-24-2003, 09:51 AM

I wasnt able to see the exact clearance i needed; but I dont know if 15mm will help and I rather not order a part and get stuck with it. They finally have the 20mm in stock at optauto. Is anyone aware of possible problems with using wheel spacers? I dont want to use the wheel spacers if there is a possibility of damaging any parts(hub, etc).
Old 11-24-2003, 09:58 AM
SLOW

Originally Posted by defsquad222
I wasnt able to see the exact clearance i needed; but I dont know if 15mm will help and I rather not order a part and get stuck with it. They finally have the 20mm in stock at optauto. Is anyone aware of possible problems with using wheel spacers? I dont want to use the wheel spacers if there is a possibility of damaging any parts(hub, etc).

a 20-25mm spacer? a ONE INCH spacer? I think you need to check your clearances yourself before you go putting a 1inch thick spacer on your car. I've never even HEARD of a spacer that thick. Are your wheels like +55 offset or something?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Jedi Knight

the others are correct..I would test fit them first then measure to see what kinda spacers u need.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:20 AM

H&R makes specific wheel spacers designed for the Maxima. They have ones that vary from 5-25mm. From my memory, it looked like 15mm may be tight, but then again, I may be wrong. About test fitting the kit, I did have that done and after three hours of getting the kit on, we then found out the rim wouldnt fit. Trust me, I rather not go through all the trouble again but even though this is a new kit, even if i were to sell, I doubt anyone would pay for it.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:29 AM
living out of a maxima...

If you would rather have the rims than the BBK, I'm sure someone out there would buy it. What offset are you wheels?
Old 11-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Maxima Pilot

Yo.....I'm over here lurking from the Gen5 forum & could not help but notice this post since it's near & dear to my heart for two reasons.....I was the the first of the Gen5 owners who did the Precision Brake kit with the two-piece rotors and the Superlite calipers & and am very familiar with fitment issues, clearances & tolerances here because I was the guinea pig so...please tell me, which Precision Brakes kit do you have??

I need the type of caliper you have and type, diameter and width of the rotor you're using and if you're using the two-piece rotors, what's the depth (offset) of the aluminum hat in the kit...

I've also been playing around with spacers....do a search on the Gen5 forum and you'll see the stuff I'm working on so...perhaps I can help here if you would like me to...

Galo
Old 11-24-2003, 10:44 AM

Im at work right now, so off the top of my head i dont know what the offset is(unless im thinking of something else).
Galo, I would appreciate your help in gettin the damn kit on my car, it sucks to look at everyday before going to bed(its right by my bedside) and not be able to install it.
Here is the kit that I purchased through Fastbrakes:

http://www.fastbrakes.com/products/p...?partnum=FBN09

I bought the kit with the steel braided lines as well.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:25 AM
Maxima Pilot

Yup..you got the GT48 curved-vane rotor, unfortunately, that rotor at it's maximum width (the 1.25 incher) is wide enough that it needs to be mounted pretty far outboard in order to clear the lower A-arm.

I know because i had to grind my lower a-arm as well to get this to fit -and that's with a custom aluminum hat that shaved .2 inches from their standard .88 depth hat. I'm pretty sure you have this hat (the left-most one)

http://www.wilwood.com/products/hats/gtsfmrh/index.asp

..and if you do have that rotor, it's likely you have the .57" depth hat. If you have the .88" depth hat you will move the whole assembly inboard so that it reduces the interference with the wheels, but at the cost of lots of issues with the A-arm clearance & I bet that -probably wanting to avoid the A-arm clearance issues, Fastbrakes gave you the .57" depth hat.

If that's the case and you have a .57 depth hat, you might (might might might) get by with 5mm spacers -but it's a long shot, because my original .88" hat was had to be machined down to .675 to clear the a-arm, which moved the wholse assembly out far enough that I had to use a 3mm spacer for the wheels to clear the caliper. I had a local machine shop custom make this spacer.

If you have a .57" hat which is pushing the whole assembly out about 3mm more than mine with my .675" hat, and I had to use a 3mm spacer...well, it more like you need 10mm spacers -which no one makes. But, since they're relatively inexpensive, you might try the 5mm spacers first.

The other avenue is to measure all this out first -and believe it or not, there's a way to measure all this without mounting the stuff on the car:

- Place the pads in the caliper
- slip the caliper over the rotor -which by now I assume has been mounted/maried to the hat, yes?
- tape the whole thing together so that the caliper does not fall off the rotor
- Remove a front wheel
- Gingerly place the wheel face-down on a sturdy, solid glass table that will support the weight of the wheel/tire assembly
- insert/place the rotor/caliper assembly from the top down into the wheel & then from the bottom, looking up thru the glass, determime how big a clearance issue you have.
- Keep adding shimming material between the wheel and the rotor/caliper assembly (I used pieces of cardboard I had cut out in circles with a diameter roughly equal to the wheel mounting flange) until the caliper clears the sppkes on the wheel. All you need is one mms of clearance -about .040- and you're fine.
- Measure the width of the cardboard spacers you have 'built up' between the rotor and the wheel and that's the spacer width you need.

Post or PM me tomorrow on how this turned out!
Old 12-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Galo
Yup..you got the GT48 curved-vane rotor, unfortunately, that rotor at it's maximum width (the 1.25 incher) is wide enough that it needs to be mounted pretty far outboard in order to clear the lower A-arm.

I know because i had to grind my lower a-arm as well to get this to fit -and that's with a custom aluminum hat that shaved .2 inches from their standard .88 depth hat. I'm pretty sure you have this hat (the left-most one)

http://www.wilwood.com/products/hats/gtsfmrh/index.asp

..and if you do have that rotor, it's likely you have the .57" depth hat. If you have the .88" depth hat you will move the whole assembly inboard so that it reduces the interference with the wheels, but at the cost of lots of issues with the A-arm clearance & I bet that -probably wanting to avoid the A-arm clearance issues, Fastbrakes gave you the .57" depth hat.

If that's the case and you have a .57 depth hat, you might (might might might) get by with 5mm spacers -but it's a long shot, because my original .88" hat was had to be machined down to .675 to clear the a-arm, which moved the wholse assembly out far enough that I had to use a 3mm spacer for the wheels to clear the caliper. I had a local machine shop custom make this spacer.

If you have a .57" hat which is pushing the whole assembly out about 3mm more than mine with my .675" hat, and I had to use a 3mm spacer...well, it more like you need 10mm spacers -which no one makes. But, since they're relatively inexpensive, you might try the 5mm spacers first.

The other avenue is to measure all this out first -and believe it or not, there's a way to measure all this without mounting the stuff on the car:

- Place the pads in the caliper
- slip the caliper over the rotor -which by now I assume has been mounted/maried to the hat, yes?
- tape the whole thing together so that the caliper does not fall off the rotor
- Remove a front wheel
- Gingerly place the wheel face-down on a sturdy, solid glass table that will support the weight of the wheel/tire assembly
- insert/place the rotor/caliper assembly from the top down into the wheel & then from the bottom, looking up thru the glass, determime how big a clearance issue you have.
- Keep adding shimming material between the wheel and the rotor/caliper assembly (I used pieces of cardboard I had cut out in circles with a diameter roughly equal to the wheel mounting flange) until the caliper clears the sppkes on the wheel. All you need is one mms of clearance -about .040- and you're fine.
- Measure the width of the cardboard spacers you have 'built up' between the rotor and the wheel and that's the spacer width you need.

Post or PM me tomorrow on how this turned out!
Galo Can I get feed back here:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=2530491 (sent you PM also)