4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My HID installation F'd up my Tranny?!!! *really long*

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Pizda Boy

My HID installation F'd up my Tranny?!!! *really long*

Yeah right. . .
Here is my problem. Some of you know that my car was stolen exactly one year ago (the night before thanksgiving).
Well, it was recovered on thanksgiving day with a front hit into a telephone pole, my BOSE system gone, broken driver side window, all the cables ripped out under the steering wheel, broken dash pieces, and they killed my transmission (auto)

Even though my car was found the next day, I did not get it back until mid February. . . drove rentals for all these months....The reason for that was because my insurance co. did not want to cover for the transmission cost (even though I have full coverage) they were saying something about the mileage on the car since it's 99,000 miles they, I'm liable for 1% of the cost for each 1,000 miles on the car. . . that put me at 99% of the cost. . . after months and months of fighting with them, we came to an agreement where I will pay 50% and they will pay the other 50%. . .

Got my car back and within a week I discovered many problems with my transmission. . .rpm's dropping when putting my foot of the gas pedal, jumping from gear to gear, etc....

The shop that rebuilt the tranny gave me a 1 year warranty, when I went back to them, they kept putting me off to come back next week, 2 weeks, and so on. . .

In the meantime I found out about Maxima.org and started doing some modding to my car (not much) but one of the things I did was put in 2003 maxima HID's on my car. . . I had it professionally installed and was there the whole time with the guy (he knows what he's doing when it comes to lights).

Well, they finally took the car to get it fixed again. . .My father picked it up, since I had to work. . . I got home got in the car, took it for a drive, and the first place I went to was back into that shop. . . Everything was ok except it jumped really hard from 1st to 2nd (almost like i would have a vb mod) chirped the tires going into 2nd at WOT. . .

I went to them and tried talking to them nicely that maybe they missed something, I don't know, "just drive it" i told them. . .Immediately his words were "good-bye, we don't want to deal with you anymore, the warranty is over" (even though I had another 4 months of warranty). . . well, after many phone calls they said fine bring it over but it's a electrical problem so i'll have to call the insurance co. for it and have them cover it. . . *(at that point something seemed funny because he didn't even look at the car and right away he said it's something electrical)*

Whatever, I let them have the car. . . after 8 days, I call him up last night and he says, it's ready come pick it up but you owe me $400!!!. . .
I say WTF!!!!!!!
(from what i'm thinking, apparently the insurance co. did not give them crap, so this is what he does. . .)
He says it's your fault!!!
He goes to me, When you installed you HID's, in order to get power you connected them to the "transmission computer" WTF!!! I don't even know where the transmission computer is, and why would I do that when the lights have power anyway!!!!
He thinks I must be stupid!!!!!!!
So he also told me that they uninstalled or unhooked *(i don't know exactly)* MY HID's. . . .why would he do that????

I haven't seen the car yet, but. . . from what I'm thinking, he wants to blame this to be an electrical problem because of my HID's. . .
I'm going there at lunch time and I might shoot the guy. . .
What right did he have to rip out my HID's out of the car, when they have nothing to do with a transmission. . . He thinks he's dealing with a 12 year old or something. . . .
He told me that I will not get my car unless I give him $400. . .
What do you guys think??? Time to get a lawyer??? Rent a car and have him cover the charges later on???
Now it's going to take me another 3 hours to hook my HID's up. . . and who knows what he did to them. . . .
I honestly don't think I will get my car back today because the only thing I can give him is a smack across his face . . . .

How can HID's have anything to do with a transmission???? I don't FUUking get it!!! and this **** has to take everything apart!!!!

I feel better now. . .thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:59 AM
Kevlo for President

sue the fck out them foo's
Old 11-26-2003, 06:09 AM
Jedi Knight

I'm with Kevlo...first go and try to work it out...and call out your freaking warranty, and explain that lights have nothing to do with the damn tranny. Also indicate that you wanted to bring the problem in before the HID install if it was before that..and that they blew you off. Then politely ask who your lawyer should address all correspondance...if all fails and just get a lawyer...u might have to include the insurance company...in the suit...if they could have helped you avoid the situation...dunno about that though
Old 11-26-2003, 06:45 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sam, the reason he unhooked your HID's is probably so he can SAY it was hooked up to the tranny computer. I would go down there and have a chat with him ASAP. do as Nupe said, ask him where your lawyer should have all correspondance sent. Give me a call, I can maybe have my dad write him a letter on his Letterhead. scare him a bit. But deff. talk to him first, let him know that you are not stupid and he is not going to get one over on you. Tell him that the quality of his work is what brought you to him and you are and have been very dis satisfied. maybe ask him if he is descriminating against you because you are foreign. ( just a bite in the a$$) no one wants to descriminate. call me if you need help.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:48 AM
Pizda Boy

thanks Casey. . . yeah I called that ***** and he's afraid to talk to me now . . . I'm bringing a baseball bat with me. . .
And if I need help I'd appreciate a letter from your dad. . . I'll hook you up with some HID's. . .
Old 11-26-2003, 06:51 AM

No friggin way can HID's be hooked up to the tranny, what...do you want them turning on when your car changes gear? haha WHAT BS!

Make them pay a shop to reconnect your lights. Its like apples to oranges. Has nothing to do with tranny.

If I were you, I'd file a police report on the spot, they are practically robbing you for your $. Thats not how a business runs. Also, I'd sue them and get them to pay you back for the tranny job and then I'd shut them down for good.

But thats just me...my .02.
Good luck!
Old 11-26-2003, 07:02 AM
Kevlo for President

tranny comp has nothing to do with hard shifts, get a lawyer ASAP and sue suue sue

and tranny comp is behind the radio, go b!tch slap his azz
Old 11-26-2003, 07:30 AM

Yeah i agree with everyone else, get a lawyer. If the warranty is written, he cannot back out of it unless both parties consent to it through writing. Always alway always, make the petty threat to go public. Newspapers love to hear stories of company's screwing over little guys. HOneslty that will really scare him. ALways worked when I did it.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:47 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Absolutely contact a lawyer, and make sure you contact your insurance company as well. Let them know that this man/shop is trying to get more money out of you through fraud. The guy attempting to screw you over obviously doesn't have a clue about electronics...
Old 11-26-2003, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stringztoo, don't post in this thread again.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Pizda Boy

thank you for unlocking this thread.....
i just talked to the guy and he goes to me "someone cut into the harness that goes to the lights but it sends a signal to the transmission computer" I told him that i'm not 12 and he's making himself look stupid. . . then he goes "well maybe it's your aftermarket stereo" (which he put in when the car was recovered) "he goes I don't recall putting in the radio but maybe"
he's gonna call me back...i told him i don't want to hear his BS and want my F'ing car back TODAY. . . I will give him 20 minutes and call him back again.
Old 11-26-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
thank you for unlocking this thread.....
i just talked to the guy and he goes to me "someone cut into the harness that goes to the lights but it sends a signal to the transmission computer" I told him that i'm not 12 and he's making himself look stupid. . . then he goes "well maybe it's your aftermarket stereo" (which he put in when the car was recovered) "he goes I don't recall putting in the radio but maybe"
he's gonna call me back...i told him i don't want to hear his BS and want my F'ing car back TODAY. . . I will give him 20 minutes and call him back again.
Sam give me a call, you have my number, the number you gave me always goes straight to voice mail. My dad would have no problem doing that for you. As far as the rest, you are doing a good job, make sure he knows that you will not leave this alone. If he wants to bite you will bite back harder. DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY MONEY. if he tries to act stupic call the cops while you are there and have them write up a report so you have it for the record. I really like what someone else said in here too, threaten with the News. he was right they do love that sheet. Or you could always give the Fox 5 Problem Solvers a call!!!!!!
Old 11-26-2003, 08:15 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by maximagtr420
Sam give me a call, you have my number, the number you gave me always goes straight to voice mail. My dad would have no problem doing that for you. As far as the rest, you are doing a good job, make sure he knows that you will not leave this alone. If he wants to bite you will bite back harder. DO NOT GIVE HIM ANY MONEY. if he tries to act stupic call the cops while you are there and have them write up a report so you have it for the record. I really like what someone else said in here too, threaten with the News. he was right they do love that sheet. Or you could always give the Fox 5 Problem Solvers a call!!!!!!
thanks man....i'm gonna give him until 1pm to tell me i can pick up my car, if not then i will go there....use my old cell phone number...i got it back....i'll call you around 1:30 or so....
Old 11-26-2003, 08:16 AM

thanks man....i'm gonna give him until 1pm to tell me i can pick up my car, if not then i will go there....use my old cell phone number...i got it back....i'll call you around 1:30 or so....
ok call me at 130, i dont have your old number.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:21 AM

What is the name of the place, so we all know not to go there?
Old 11-26-2003, 09:43 AM
Pizda Boy

Originally Posted by bombtrack_ratm
What is the name of the place, so we all know not to go there?
Clifton Transmissions
160 Huron Ave
Clifton, New Jersey

BBB will hear about this problem for sure....
Old 11-26-2003, 09:46 AM

I am never in NJ, i have never been to NJ, but now if i ever go there for hockey, and need something done, i wont go there.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:04 AM

Here's a great idea

#1) Go to your local stealership and speak to the head service writer. Tell him what is going on and ask him if he would be willing to give you something in writing on the dealership letterhead that states that the lights could not be the reason why this is happening.
#2) When you go to pick up the car if he ask's for any money call the police right away. DO NOT yell at him or anything, be calm walk away and call the cops. Make sure you have a copy of your warranty with you plus your receipt for what you've paid him. If they can't get your car for you at least you have a report of what happened.
#3) If he said that certain parts were bad, ask him for the bad parts and ask for a copy of the invoice that he got when he bought the new parts.
#4) Since you had the lights proffesionally installed you will have an expert witness that could state that they were installed properlly. If they were done before the accident then you would have had this problem before.
#5) Check with your insurance company to see if their check was cashed yet, if not tell them what is happening and ask them to stop payment on the check. It may cost you a couple of dollars to have them do it, but it will make him mad as hell.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:29 AM
I'm needing a caw

There does seem to be some type of control unit. But since it's no longer hooked up, the tranny should work great now right?? I bet it still drives like crap
This drawing is for either a 3-4 gen. Not sure
Old 11-26-2003, 10:43 AM
Pizda Boy

thanks jeff....but i can't really understand this drawing...do headlights have anything to do with it???
Old 11-26-2003, 10:47 AM

thanks jeff....but i can't really understand this drawing...do headlights have anything to do with it???
Sam check your PM dude i need to talk to you NOW.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:48 AM
I'm needing a caw

Not really perse. It just shows that there is some type of control unit. Point being, if he disconnected the headlight wiring, the car SHOULD NOW RUN FINE. That is the 1st thing you should check. I'd go there and demand a test drive before considering anything else. And demand to to be shown exactly where the hid power was taken from.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:52 AM
Pizda Boy

ok, thanks,,,,but the hid power was not taken from anything over there....you don't need more power to get the HID's working....my setup is almost like stock....
i appreciate this though.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:36 PM
Pizda Boy

I GOT IT BACK!!!!!!! My father just went to pick it up right now.....i called him and he said he just wants this car out of the way......his made up story didn't work....thanks for all the advice guys, now let's see how the car runs.......
Old 11-26-2003, 05:08 PM

good luck man!
Old 11-27-2003, 07:40 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Any news on how your ride is running? I hope OK by the lack of posting
Old 11-27-2003, 07:42 AM
Pizda Boy

man....it is running smoothly...i can't get used to it not jumping....it finally was done right....i am so happy to have it working the way it should....when it was jumping like that i hated driving my car... now i'm in love with it again.......
Old 11-27-2003, 08:56 AM

Glad to hear all is good. Happy Turkey Day!
Old 11-27-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by maximagtr420
Glad to hear all is good. Happy Turkey Day!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:12 AM

I hate it when they give you the run around. Whe nI had my top end of my engine rebuilt. Bolts were missing they didnt even put my exhaust poipe heat shields in the engine back on. They handed them to me in my hand. And denied having them at first. there are still somethings missing from my car. My splash guards to the engine for the inner side fender well htey denied going in there and taking it off but umm it came to you with everything connected and now its not. I shouldve sued Its been alittle over a year now. Everytime I drive my car it erks me though. Good luck with the ride man. Thats why I DONT TRUST ANYONE BUT THE DEALERSHIP!! Unfortunately thats the only good place to go for my car around here. People here try to jipp you off and stuff.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:33 AM

i'm glad u got it back. But they did take the hids out. Any damage to the hids?
Old 11-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Pizda Boy

nah, no damage...what i think they did is unhook the hid's and thought i would pay up cause i f'd it up when installing hid's....but when they saw that i know my hid's had nothing to do with this...they quickly hooked the lights back up and told me to pick it up.....bastards tried to trick me.....i opened the hood and I see that the hid installation has been messed with, but it works like it did and that's all that matters.....
i'm also filing a complaint to the better business burea on those bastards.......
Old 11-27-2003, 12:01 PM
Pizda Boy

now i can concentrate on my projectors....i'm hoping to give it a whack tomorrow if nothing comes up.....and there's a slight chance that if all goes well, i'll be on the road tomorrow with the projectors installed......
i'll keep you guys updated.
Old 11-27-2003, 01:15 PM

Tell him his shop lights are connected to the hydroelectric dam.

Then, tell him that your trunk lid is connected to your battery ... it is indirectly. Tell him to learn a thing or two about vehicle wiring before he makes a fool of himself.
Old 11-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

thats good to hear all went well Sam. Dam, i cant believe they tried to play u like that. And this BS probably happens all the time. Its good that u were very knowledgeable about your car.
Old 11-29-2003, 04:49 PM
Pizda Boy

well,,,,,,my car is DEAD!!!!!
rode nicely for a day and a half, went to my car this morning and a puddle of tranny oil was underneath it.....the tranny lost all its oil overnight....got in, i was so ****ed off that i drove it home for 2.5 miles.....now it is totally dead....goes forward on every gear and smoke coming out under the hood......i don't care anymore, i know it's bad for the tranny but now they really have a problem on their hands.....getting a lawyer on monday and i'll have him get my money back for the labor i paid the first time....then it's time for a 5-speed swap......
i'm really really disappointed and once again i'm without my maxima
Old 11-29-2003, 05:37 PM

WOW... that is terrible. Get a lawer and sue him for all that he is worth.
Good luck and I hope you get everything fixed free of charge.
Old 11-30-2003, 10:37 AM

Sue the mother !!!!

Get a lawyer and sue his ***! While your in court ask to have his license revoked. If you need a get tranny guy try Malencheck in Hawthorne. I used him before and was very happy with his work. That really sucks though. I t sounds like he deliberatlly screwed up your tranny. I would have it towed to good tranny shop and have them check it out and get a written statement from them. There is nothing like having that kind of information and evidance when you go to court. Sue the guy for every penny that you and your insurance company paid him, plus the expense of renting a car and compensation for the aggrivation that he has caused you and your family.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:23 AM
My heroine

well,,,,,,my car is DEAD!!!!!
rode nicely for a day and a half, went to my car this morning and a puddle of tranny oil was underneath it.....the tranny lost all its oil overnight....got in, i was so ****ed off that i drove it home for 2.5 miles.....now it is totally dead....goes forward on every gear and smoke coming out under the hood......i don't care anymore, i know it's bad for the tranny but now they really have a problem on their hands.....getting a lawyer on monday and i'll have him get my money back for the labor i paid the first time....then it's time for a 5-speed swap......
i'm really really disappointed and once again i'm without my maxima

**** that really sucks man. I was reading the thread thinking "hey it's cool the car is working again" and then that mess.. sorry to hear it. Definitely get it towed somewhere good (Jeff @ maximum tuning in LI) and have them check it out. As a suggestion on the leaking fluid though, check under the car and make sure all the bolts holding the pan onto the bottom of the tranny are completely on. When I had my vb mod done, one of the bolts wasn't all the way in and so there wasn't a good seal there and my transmission dumped all the fluid overnight.. once I found it and tightended that bolt back up, it was all good..

regardless.. i'm sorry to hear about the problems, good luck suing the he** out of that shop, and definitely report it to the bbb..

wJ
Old 12-01-2003, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by max88q
I hate it when they give you the run around. Whe nI had my top end of my engine rebuilt. Bolts were missing they didnt even put my exhaust poipe heat shields in the engine back on. They handed them to me in my hand. And denied having them at first. there are still somethings missing from my car. My splash guards to the engine for the inner side fender well htey denied going in there and taking it off but umm it came to you with everything connected and now its not. I shouldve sued Its been alittle over a year now. Everytime I drive my car it erks me though. Good luck with the ride man. Thats why I DONT TRUST ANYONE BUT THE DEALERSHIP!! Unfortunately thats the only good place to go for my car around here. People here try to jipp you off and stuff.
man don't u know that when u take your car to get fix ask for all the parts they change and demand to see what they did and check your car before u leave or they say that it was on when u left

Quick Reply: My HID installation F'd up my Tranny?!!! *really long*