4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wheel size and proformance 15" or 16"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Wheel size and proformance 15" or 16"?

Ok i know its been discussed before but as you can see search is disable, I'm starting on the long road to building a track monster and above looks i want to go for proformance...So i'm throwing my 17" inch wheel idea out the window, now come the debate.... light 15's or 16's? I would assume that 15's would be the best choice but from a thread i read last week there was an argument that the tire rubber can give more rotational inertia than the rims you choose so maybe having all that rubber isn't the best idea.... What do you guys think, strickly for performance, 15's or 16's? Cause my plan is to put either one on and drop it considerably 1.5-2 inches to make up for the 4x4 look.... what do you guys think based on experience and facts....?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:26 PM
SLOW

Originally Posted by TonyGotSkilz
Ok i know its been discussed before but as you can see search is disable, I'm starting on the long road to building a track monster and above looks i want to go for proformance...So i'm throwing my 17" inch wheel idea out the window, now come the debate.... light 15's or 16's? I would assume that 15's would be the best choice but from a thread i read last week there was an argument that the tire rubber can give more rotational inertia than the rims you choose so maybe having all that rubber isn't the best idea.... What do you guys think, strickly for performance, 15's or 16's? Cause my plan is to put either one on and drop it considerably 1.5-2 inches to make up for the 4x4 look.... what do you guys think based on experience and facts....?
You took the quote about the tire weight affecting performance more out of context. It affects it more because it is further out from the center of the wheel (larger radius). Therefor a larger, lower profile tire will hurt more than a smaller, higher profile tire. What kind of performance are you looking for, you gave no indication.

BTW its performance not proformance
Old 11-29-2003, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nealoc187
BTW its performance not proformance
Thanx errr i'm sorry thank you ... for the spelling lesson .... lol i know how to spell i'm an aerospace engineering major....i was just typing fast and playing pool at the same time....But your correct about me not specifying, i'm looking for mainly track but i do autocross too so it would be nice to have a handling balance....

P.S. .... Lately i haven't been receiving any e-mail notification for subscribed threads... its it just me? I check my spam filter (i have aol) and its not in my spam folder.... so wtf? I also checked my profile and its set to send e-mail notification?
Old 11-29-2003, 08:37 PM

if your "track monster" is going to do more than drag race ....I would say 16" or larger so you can fit larger brakes...at some point...
Old 11-29-2003, 08:43 PM

good point i didn't even consider the brake upgrades needing the space ..... i'm glad i asked... hmmm So i've heard 17's hurt performance from 100 people but how much nobody really says... lets say quarter mile times... i know bench racing is silly and the weight of the rims matters but lets say rims lighter than stock 15's but 17" how much are you looking to lose? I wouldn't figure it would be more than 1-3 tenths? am i wrong? This is of course keeping overall tire diameter the same
Old 11-29-2003, 08:44 PM
V^___^V

go with 16s, ZR tires, light rims. this combo will give you traction and easy launch.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:15 PM
Conecarver

But your correct about me not specifying, i'm looking for mainly track but i do autocross too so it would be nice to have a handling balance....
Hmmm same wheel for both? And same rubber? Welcome to my world

Actually it's a very tough choice. Unless you're gonna roadrace you probably don't need to upgrade your brakes (calipers & rotor size).

For drag you want a 15" rim as narrow and light as possible - say 10lb-15lb. Mount a slick or very light street tire (11lb-18lb) that has little steel belting.

For autocross you want either a 15" or 16" rim as wide as possible to maximize contact patch. That tire (assuming street) is gonna be 20-27lbs because of lots of steel belting.

I use 16" myself as it's a good compromise. But most of the top runners at the strip are doing it with 15". Good luck and have fun either way.
Old 11-29-2003, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by BEJAY1
For drag you want a 15" rim as narrow and light as possible - say 10lb-15lb. Mount a slick or very light street tire (11lb-18lb) that has little steel belting.
ok even more confused by that statement, would you want wider thicker tires at the track for traction, to put all the power i plan to make (don't we all) down on the ground? Wouldn't small thin tires mean less traction, specially since were front wheel drive and tractions a problem?
Old 11-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

ok even more confused by that statement, would you want wider thicker tires at the track for traction, to put all the power i plan to make (don't we all) down on the ground? Wouldn't small thin tires mean less traction, specially since were front wheel drive and tractions a problem?

You simply cannot use skinny tires up front. What you should look into getting is some Mazda Millenia 15" steel rims that weigh 11.5pounds, mount some sticky drag radials and the skinniest tires that can fit on the rear rims (less drag) and your all set.

For your auto-x setup, youd need some wider tires. Maybe a 16x8, 17x8/8.5 wheel with some 245/255series tires, something thats wide and grippy.

Now, you have to face the fact that you cant have the best of both worlds as far as a all out drag car and a great auto-x'er. You can see the above two setups differ greatly. You will need to compromise on both areas if you plan on using the same wheel/tire combo. Maybe some 16x8 rims on 235 series tires. Theres just no way you can have the BEST auto-x'er and the BEST drag car on the same wheel/tire combo.

Eric
Old 11-29-2003, 10:59 PM

why not get both, rims and tires arent that hard to change, stellies must be cheap as hell from a junk yard and only use those when u go to the track other wise roll on 17's
Old 11-30-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by waveridr85
why not get both, rims and tires arent that hard to change, stellies must be cheap as hell from a junk yard and only use those when u go to the track other wise roll on 17's
thats what i was thinking BUT and theres always a but, if i get 17's and a brake kit for auto-x'ing changing my tires and rims to 15 would be easy but i'd have to uninstall the brake kit which is a huge PITA....So thats not very efficient....I think i'll be going to the track more than the auto-x so i think i'll go with a good track set up, BUT (told you theres always a but) our cars look so much better with 17's and 18's ..... so maybe i should just go to the auto-x more often

Oh well i got till janurary before i do anything, and i've still gotta decide if i use my money on the max, or a motorcycle also..... Decisions decisions decisions.....
Old 11-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Are you considering using the same set of tires and rims to auto-X, drag race, and daily drive? There are too many compromises. Get 15" with slicks for drag and 16" or 17" for auto-X. Upgrade your brake lines, fluid and pads for better braking. Remember tire choice is also important for braking.