4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Too Ricey?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 10:15 PM

Too Ricey?????

Im in the middle of polishing my sawblade stock wheels, but winter is here. Right now I have one rim that is half finished on the front of the max that looks like ****.

How ricey would the max look with the stock sprayed up Like a flat black for a little while untill I get around to finishing them? Right now they look horrible, so I don't think it can get much worse. I just don't want my car to look HONDAish.

Don't bash it, just give me your .02
Old 12-10-2003, 10:33 PM

black rims on white max? Could look good if they werent stockers...I would say repaint silver... on the black...
just my .02....its your car~!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 PM

I have seen that done on Civics...
Old 12-10-2003, 10:48 PM

Silver would probably look worse then they are now. Yea black wheels most likely will look Sh!ty.......Unless, I run to pep boys in the mornin' and get an aftermarket spoiler. Ya know, the ones that are higher then the roof of the car. My **** will be pimped, and i'll get, what? at least 5 hp no? If I did that I'd probably be able to pull off painting the wheels.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:54 PM

FUUCK TEN CHAR!
Old 12-10-2003, 11:30 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wait, stock saw blades....painting them black would be so incredibly stupid. leave them for now or something, wet in the winter, who is going to notice? keep polishing quick so you dont look like a complete tard
Old 12-11-2003, 05:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

hehe, good to know you guys really dislike black painted steelies. I lost a hub cap, and just took all of them off. Some jack as s stole one hubcap while I was at McDonalds for breakfast (they were basic wal-mart hub caps too!). Previous owner musta painted the steelies shiny black, because mine are.

Anyway, I like it, it's cheap to maintain the bare look...hehe. I use some vinyl lube stuff to keep the tires and rims shiny and black. Right now they're kinda dusty tho(the whole car is dusty come to think of it ). All I care about is how well the drivetrain works. That's my $.02 cents.

Tho, now I wonder how polished steel would look. I might try it (FREE).
Old 12-11-2003, 06:01 PM
SXN

you should get spinner hub caps from kragen.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:52 PM

just ordered 'em. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:06 PM
SXN

i was joking but whatever rubs your buddha. why did you need to order them? every single autozone and kragen has them
Old 12-11-2003, 08:12 PM

hehe I was kidding too. I take it Kragen is a local store? Never heard of it. Just have checker, pep boys, autozone, napa and a-1 auto (think it's federal mogul) here. I've never noticed hub caps at autozone except for some basic ones.

Tho the trippiest looking rims I ever saw were the kind that don't move, even when the wheel spins. I've only seen 'em once. Anyway, black for me, until I feel like spending $15 unnecessarily(for 4 more caps).
Old 12-11-2003, 08:30 PM
SXN

those are called spinner rims. they sell spinner HUB CAPS, which is what i was talking about... you can get a set for yourelf. they're like 40 bucks, made for 14, 15, 16 inch rims. so i wasnt joking they exist, just dont put them on your car
Old 12-11-2003, 09:31 PM

do you have hubs or rims, when you say sawblades I think of the SE style rims.

spinning hubs are
There was a kid that I know that bought them for his sunfire. one fell off and now he looks even more retarded cus he only has 3.

Please don't do this, you will bring shame to all maxima owners.
Paint em or get cheapies
Old 12-11-2003, 09:35 PM
SXN

BangNgears has the SE style rims. izzydig has hubcaps
Old 12-11-2003, 09:47 PM

Well I don't think that I'll be doing much with them for now. Friday afternoon I blasted a curb at like 10mph, in a snow storm. The wheels were turned but the car was straight on for the curb. Tried to e-brake it, to get it straight, but still have my 18's on the back and didn't want to hit them. Now that the snow is off of the pavement, the Steering wheels shakes at low speeds. Guess its all in a days work.

Don't buy spinners, your better off going garbage picking an finding old box fans. Take the blade out of it an screw it on the wheel. It will give you the same look that you've been going for.
And the guy at MC Donalds was probably trying to do you a favor by taking those Wal-mart hubs off your max.
Its a max, Have some respect for it. How would you like it if your mother dressed you in spandex everyday of your life?
Old 12-11-2003, 10:41 PM
SXN

yea, sounds like after the little curb adventure, you NEED alignment
Old 12-11-2003, 10:53 PM

That sux, you hitting the curb. New control arm, bearing, alignment?

wth...spinners? I don't know who wants to buy em.

lol @ the guy at Mc Donalds. Yeah I know...but to me it's just another car. Another car that has it's quirks. I'd rather spend the $15 on some drywall or plywood then some missing hub caps.

the only thing that ****es me off about nissan as of today, is the fact that they made a FWD truck! WTF is that? The new titan with 305 HP and 355 ft lb/torque, is FWD! I'm going to purchase a truck in the future, and considered that beast, but when I heard FWD...I said F*ck that. Good luck me working on the bastard for 10 years. A Titan is 21K minimum, while a F-150 is 13K min. Thinks me getting a Ford f-150, or maybe one of those older nissan trucks (I have a spare engine sitting around).
Old 12-11-2003, 10:58 PM
SXN

are you sure the new titan is front wheel drive... i really dont think it is
Old 12-11-2003, 11:07 PM

http://www.nissanusa.com/vehicles/ModelSpecifications/1,,24367|31947|,00.html

Maybe I looked at the spec sheet wrong. Tho it says front wheel drive is standard....along with all wheel drive. Guess I'll have to head to a Nissan dealer to see if the engine is turned normal for a RWD or a FWD. Let me clarify...if the tranny in a titan is crammed in like the maxima(regular FWD), I wouldn't want the titan (edit: the engine is about 6L).
Old 12-11-2003, 11:15 PM
SXN

aha...so it all wheel drive that you can shift out to all wheel? that makes more sense, all wheel for towing and hauling, front wheel for around town gas mileage.
Old 12-11-2003, 11:19 PM

no man...it's not the power and usage of it...but i don't want to be responsible to work on a crammed drivetrain for 10 years. do you understand the diff between working on a FWD vs. a RWD?
Old 12-11-2003, 11:26 PM
SXN

lol....of course i do. with a rear end and drive train its a lot easier, spaced out, and on a truck, high up with lots of clearance. tight little front wheel drive engine compartments are a pain in the ass. trust me man....i know also, i was refering to putting the power down, because if you buy a pick up...i want to be able to haul and tow stuff. i dont want to do that on a FWD only locked truck
Old 12-12-2003, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by SXN
are you sure the new titan is front wheel drive... i really dont think it is
Do you really think Nissan would be stupid enough to produce a front-wheel drive full size pick-up truck???

The Titan is RWD, and it is the best truck out there. Just recently beat out the new F-150 and updated Tundra for Truck of the Year by FourWheeler Magazine. The Tundra is the ***** truck, F-150 was too much of an evolution instead of a revolution and the Titan is the truck that does everything a truck should do best (offroad/onroad capabilities, hauling/towing, etc.). Plus does 0-60 in 6.9 and 1/4 mile in the low 15s. The only Jap company to produce a full-size truck worthy of respect, and its Nissan's first attempt too.

edit: the torque rating is 375 lb. ft. not 355..
Old 12-12-2003, 03:31 AM

Anyone who knows anything about how the truck magizines work could have told you the titan would have won. Its been teh first fullsize truck released by nissan. just like the durango will probably win an award aswell because of the hemi.

Basically when the rubicon lost to the tacoma last year, they sealed the last year of my subscription. Theyve gone from an off-roading magizine to a panzy grocery getting magizine with a offroad body kit installed, if you will.

Their technical articles have gone down the pooper aswell. Off-Road is still hanging in there, but sometimes pushes the envelope.

to go with teh origonal post. Is there anything you haven't seen done to a honda?
Old 12-12-2003, 03:34 AM
My heroine

Originally Posted by BangNgears
Well I don't think that I'll be doing much with them for now. Friday afternoon I blasted a curb at like 10mph, in a snow storm. The wheels were turned but the car was straight on for the curb. Tried to e-brake it, to get it straight, but still have my 18's on the back and didn't want to hit them. Now that the snow is off of the pavement, the Steering wheels shakes at low speeds. Guess its all in a days work.

i'm bored and it's early, so I have to ask... why the hell are you driving around with your 18's on the back and stock sawblades on the front?? that sucks about hitting the curb though, but please.. get rid of the 18 / 16 mix and match.. I can't imagine that looking good
Old 12-12-2003, 04:26 AM

I have just looked @ the nissan site and have found that if you look @ the specs for the "king cab" there is what Ill assume is a typo that says front engine/ front drive. the "quad cab" specs say front engine rear drive. I cant imagine that the company would have that much of a difference between the 2 chassies and I will assume that it is a rwd vheicle with part time 4wd.

oh. . . . dont paint yout sawblades

mike
Old 12-12-2003, 05:47 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by willis
i'm bored and it's early, so I have to ask... why the hell are you driving around with your 18's on the back and stock sawblades on the front?? that sucks about hitting the curb though, but please.. get rid of the 18 / 16 mix and match.. I can't imagine that looking good
It would make it very interesting. a lot of ricers do that, with the nice rims and tires on the back, and crappy tires up front to wear out. The size difference shouldnt matter as long as he kept the over all diameter the same, which he should have. does sound ugly though
Old 12-12-2003, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
Anyone who knows anything about how the truck magizines work could have told you the titan would have won. Its been teh first fullsize truck released by nissan. just like the durango will probably win an award aswell because of the hemi.

Basically when the rubicon lost to the tacoma last year, they sealed the last year of my subscription. Theyve gone from an off-roading magizine to a panzy grocery getting magizine with a offroad body kit installed, if you will.

Their technical articles have gone down the pooper aswell. Off-Road is still hanging in there, but sometimes pushes the envelope.

to go with teh origonal post. Is there anything you haven't seen done to a honda?
I've heard the same about Hot Rod Magazine...did the Tundra win Truck of the Year when it came out? The Tacoma beating out the Rubicon does make me respect the magazine less.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:57 PM
My heroine

Originally Posted by SXN
It would make it very interesting. a lot of ricers do that, with the nice rims and tires on the back, and crappy tires up front to wear out. The size difference shouldnt matter as long as he kept the over all diameter the same, which he should have. does sound ugly though
ehh.. on a rear wheel drive car muscle car, I could see it.. on a front wheel drive sedan.. definitely fugly..
Old 12-12-2003, 11:13 PM
SXN

i never said it looked good, but ricers around here do it constantly. Also, it would look worse to do that on a RWD. huge rims on the front, and ugly steelies out back. Yea, it might be good for draging, but crappy tires up front would be good for FWD. if youre gonna use a double standard, atleast have it make sense
Old 12-13-2003, 08:18 AM
My heroine

Originally Posted by SXN
i never said it looked good, but ricers around here do it constantly. Also, it would look worse to do that on a RWD. huge rims on the front, and ugly steelies out back. Yea, it might be good for draging, but crappy tires up front would be good for FWD. if youre gonna use a double standard, atleast have it make sense

no no.. I meant on a rwd, bigger, good tires on the back with steelies on the front.. sorry, confusing post . and for dragging a fwd, wouldn't you want good tires up front to grip with steelies on the back???

regardless, we both agree that it looks craptastic when the ricers do it, didn't mean to start an argument..
Old 12-13-2003, 12:08 PM

i didn't do it for looks, I did it because my shop can't align 18's. So i had to throw the stocks on the front, after i did my axles. The alignment is horrible so i don't want to ruin the tread on the 18's, and since im doin my shocks struts soon......... You get what Im gettin at here?????
Old 12-13-2003, 03:20 PM
SXN

and for dragging a fwd, wouldn't you want good tires up front to grip with steelies on the back???
no, the reason they do it out here is because that is their cheap tires, or their old tires, and because all that front wheel power makes them spin their tires...they want the crappy tires to wear out in the front. Also, if you use traction compound that is inherently bad for tire wear, they put it on the ghetto old tires on steelies.

regardless, we both agree that it looks craptastic when the ricers do it, didn't mean to start an argument..
an argument? i just disagreed with you
Old 12-14-2003, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ludacris
Do you really think Nissan would be stupid enough to produce a front-wheel drive full size pick-up truck???

The Titan is RWD, and it is the best truck out there. Just recently beat out the new F-150 and updated Tundra for Truck of the Year by FourWheeler Magazine. The Tundra is the ***** truck, F-150 was too much of an evolution instead of a revolution and the Titan is the truck that does everything a truck should do best (offroad/onroad capabilities, hauling/towing, etc.). Plus does 0-60 in 6.9 and 1/4 mile in the low 15s. The only Jap company to produce a full-size truck worthy of respect, and its Nissan's first attempt too.

edit: the torque rating is 375 lb. ft. not 355..
Actually I did think they were dumb enough. I wouldn't be surprised...as they tend to do things unique sometimes. Actually...nissan aint the best in the business....i mean they got a $12-15 billion recall going on.

Actually, I almost leaped when I first saw an ad for a powerful Nissan Truck (Edit: Misread the nissanusa website concerning FWD...I was interested in buying).

F-150 is cheap. About 10K less. Good for me to haul around supplies. Don't need to race it. thanks.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:20 PM
SXN

just because the truck is fast doesnt mean you are going to use it to race, thats why he told you the torque rating. getting up to speed on the freeway when hauling or towing is very very important to me with a trunk. i hate driving a truck that i feel is underpowered when given a load. its great to have a powerful truck ESPECIALLY if you are going to be hauling around supplies
Old 12-14-2003, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by izzydig
Actually I did think they were dumb enough. I wouldn't be surprised...as they tend to do things unique sometimes. Actually...nissan aint the best in the business....i mean they got a $12-15 billion recall going on.

Actually, I almost leaped when I first saw an ad for a powerful Nissan Truck (Edit: Misread the nissanusa website concerning FWD...I was interested in buying).

F-150 is cheap. About 10K less. Good for me to haul around supplies. Don't need to race it. thanks.

Actually the recall I think you're talking about has less to do with Nissan and more to do with one of their suppliers, Hitachi.

What's wrong with having a truck that hauls better than all the competition, has better off-road performance, is still quiet/comfy, etc. AND can still be fast on road? I know damn well if someone gave you a choice between a truck that does everything you need and is fast and one that is slow you will pick the fast one. But yea, the F-150 can be had for much cheaper...for reasons of course.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:51 PM
SXN

being fast on the road is very important for all that "hauling" you want to be doing izzydig. you get what you pay for