4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

help please!!!!!!!!!!! starting up

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 05:57 AM

help please!!!!!!!!!!! starting up

im having problems when i start my car in the morning or night when its cold outside. i start my car and starts up then it shuts off ,in order for me to keep the car on i have to keep the gas pedal pressed. Does anyone know how i can fix this or whats wrong. i was considering getting my remote start soon if i get this i would never start if i have this problem. thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by REYMAX77
im having problems when i start my car in the morning or night when its cold outside. i start my car and starts up then it shuts off ,in order for me to keep the car on i have to keep the gas pedal pressed. Does anyone know how i can fix this or whats wrong. i was considering getting my remote start soon if i get this i would never start if i have this problem. thanks
I just had this same exact problem two weeks ago with my 95. When I would leave it outside in the cold overnight, it would start and then immediately die. If I gave it some gas while I turned the key, it would rev high and start right up. Either way, it ran just fine once it was running, the problem was only at start-up.

I took it into the shop (not the dealer!) and they ran a test on the idle control. When you start the car, there is a small delay between the starting, and the point where the idle control kicks in to give the engine a steady flow of gas. That delay is measured in "ticks." Spec is less than 15 ticks. (Mine tested at 23 ticks, meaning it was taking a little too long to start gining the engine gas.) They explained that over time, carbon builds up on the assembly, increasing the response time. They took it apart, cleaned the deposits from it, put it back together and retested it= 10 ticks. Now, my baby starts right up without giving her any pedal, even after the coldest of nights. The shop had it done in 3 hours, and charged me $68.00.

Hope that helps! Good luck!
Old 12-11-2003, 01:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was going to say try cleaning your throttlebody with throttlebody cleaner (not carb cleaner) and run a couple of tank fulls worth of Techron and see what happens.