4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Never realized how crappy the stock radio was...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 08:05 PM

Never realized how crappy the stock radio was...

My car had the stock radio (Clarion) with the 3 disk CD changer (Alpine). After the CD player quit working, the tape player quit working, and half the buttons on the radio went out, I removed the assembly from the dash to check it out.

Turns out, it was FULL OF COINS!!!

My toddler aged son seems to have been using it as a piggy bank!

Anyway, after emptying all the coins out, everything returned to normal except the CD player.

My wife really likes to listen to CD's, so I decided to upgrade the stereo and speakers. I decided on the Sony CDX-MP40 MP3 stereo and Kicker 02K65 factory replacement speakers. The stereo upgrade itself was a DRASTIC improvement... even before I installed the Kicker speakers! It is rated at 52W (23.4 RMS) and really woke up the sound. The unit has 'DSO' which is supposed to make up for the front speakers being mounted low in the doors. This feature makes a HUGE difference in sound. The Kicker speakers made it sound even better. The stereo costs only $139 through Etronics.com. The speakers were around $69/pr. I purchased the wiring and antenna adapters through Crutchfield. I purchased a pocket to fill the hole left by the CD changer from Crutchfield as well. Crutchfield sent excellent MAXIMA SPECIFIC instructions showing how to change the stereo and speakers with their order.

The Sony stereo plays mp3's on CD and sounds great. I highly recommend this unit as a replacement!

Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2003, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by n2oMike
My car had the stock radio (Clarion) with the 3 disk CD changer (Alpine). After the CD player quit working, the tape player quit working, and half the buttons on the radio went out, I removed the assembly from the dash to check it out.

Anyway, after emptying all the coins out, everything returned to normal except the CD player.

My wife really likes to listen to CD's, so I decided to upgrade the stereo and speakers. I decided on the Sony CDX-MP40 MP3 stereo and Kicker 02K65 factory replacement speakers. The stereo upgrade itself was a DRASTIC improvement... even before I installed the Kicker speakers! It is rated at 52W (23.4 RMS) and really woke up the sound. The unit has 'DSO' which is supposed to make up for the front speakers being mounted low in the doors. This feature makes a HUGE difference in sound. The Kicker speakers made it sound even better. The stereo costs only $139 through Etronics.com. The speakers were around $69/pr. I purchased the wiring and antenna adapters through Crutchfield. I purchased a pocket to fill the hole left by the CD changer from Crutchfield as well. Crutchfield sent excellent MAXIMA SPECIFIC instructions showing how to change the stereo and speakers with their order.

The Sony stereo plays mp3's on CD and sounds great. I highly recommend this unit as a replacement!

Good Luck!
Hows your reception with that sony? I have a Sony Xplode I get really bad reception with mine.
Old 12-14-2003, 09:08 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

congrats on the purchases, sounds like a good deal on the head unit
Old 12-14-2003, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by myke321
Hows your reception with that sony? I have a Sony Xplode I get really bad reception with mine.
It seems to do pretty well. Crutchfield has these stats on their radios, and the sensitivity rates pretty well. I forget the units, but lower is better. This unit was a '9' where the more expensive Panasonic I was looking at was an 11. Panasonic Supertuner was an 8, Blaupunkt had some of the highest and lowest at 17 and 6.6. Most were around 10.

It picks up about the same as the stock radio overall. I haven't really tested the reception out that much, but it seems to do pretty well. I like it.

Etronics definitely has the cheaper price, but Crutchfields has free shipping and includes the basic wiring adapters for free. Etronics adapters and shipping cost extra, and I don't even think everything needed was available there. Etronic's shipping for the radio and speakers was around $30! But, Crutchfield wanted $199 for the radio and $129.99 for each pair of speakers!!!! There are plenty of reviews for the Sony cdx-mp40 out there. I'm sure www.epinions.com has some detailed replies, and may be able to answer your questions.

Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2003, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by n2oMike

Good Luck!
MIne isn't a bank but mine stock radio has a problem with the volume. When the car is cold the radio doesn't respond to me. Whenever I want the volume to go up, it goes down. When the volume is too high, it goes down. I have problems with the radio, clockwise is the way the **** goes wihen you want the volume to go down. Counterclockwise is the way a radio volume goes down but only gets louder. I HATE my stock radio. ARRRRGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!