4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Where does the power trunk switch go?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 02:36 PM

Where does the power trunk switch go?

I'm adding a power trunk to my 1996 SE, and I have the OEM solenoid/popper for the trunk, and I have a switch to open it with. My problem is that I can't figure out where the switch actually goes.

Someone on another thread posted a picture of the wiring that is already there for this, but I can not figure out where the pic he posted is pointing at. Is it in the driver's door? I looked all over my door and can't find a spot for a trunk release button. The other poster said his pic was "looking up from the cup holder" to the area where the switch goes, but I only have cupholders in my console.

I do have a spot open to the right of where the cruise control on/off button is, but I don't think that's where the trunk switch goes.

If someone could post a description or a pic of where there trunk release button is, I would really appreciate it - especially since I need to find it to use the stock wiring.

Thanks,
Jamie
Old 12-19-2003, 03:03 PM

I guess it is also called the power trunk release button. I really need the answer to this by tomorrow, since I'm doing this over the holidays and won't have access to the net for a while.

Thanks.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

only a picture would do justice. an accurate verbal description would be hard.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:49 PM
Custom User Title...

very easy...

i'm planning on this but don't know if i'm gonna put it somewhere else. the stock wiring is on the driver's side front door. if you're sitting in your seat, the armrest on your left has that little cup area (don't know what else to call it).

stock, it comes with a hole precut in your door panel. however since you don't have it, the wiring is still there behind the door panel. if you look in that cup area i described on the armrest, there is a screw in the middle at the bottum. there's the little cap on top that you can pop off with a flat head screw driver to see it. if you look in there, that is where the wiring is located as you saw in the pics in my thread you were referring to. it will be taped up but right there. hope this makes sense and goodluck.

btw, i'm going to try to relocate mine to that spot next to the dimmer switch that you mentioned. let me know if it fits there...
Old 12-20-2003, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Jepht20
btw, i'm going to try to relocate mine to that spot next to the dimmer switch that you mentioned. let me know if it fits there...
Hey, thanks for the description. Well, I was gonna use that spot too, but the switch I got off eBay, that is supposed to be the right one, won't fit in that spot. It's too big.

As for there being a pre-cut hole/cover thing for my door switch, I can't find one anywhere. I went last night and went over the whole panel and I didn't find anywhere that it might go except maybe in the back end of the door pocket at the bottom. In my Chilton's manual it shows the trunk switch next to the light on the inside of the door, but there is not a precut spot there for a switch on mine.

Oh well, I may have to do something different.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:45 AM

switch location

not stock but maybe justput a toggle switch under the dash??

what do people who's cars come with the electric door opener standard
do
when the electric switch fails?????
how would you get the filler door open????????
how would a dealer do it????????
Old 12-21-2003, 10:35 AM

The place for the switch is under the driver side armrest on the door. Mine is a 98 so I am not sure it is the same for yours. Maybe you want to see one at a dealer to be sure.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I am tempted to move mine, I've popped my trunk a couple times with my celphone in my pocket. Thinking about down by the gas release door handle
Old 12-21-2003, 04:18 PM

Thanks for all the replies.

I didn't get to it this weekend like I planned, and I'm really thinking about just putting a custom button on the dash. My only fear is that I'll accidentally pop the trunk doing 80 when I reach to turn on the cruise control.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:19 PM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by edwardh1
not stock but maybe justput a toggle switch under the dash??

what do people who's cars come with the electric door opener standard
do
when the electric switch fails?????
how would you get the filler door open????????
how would a dealer do it????????

u can still use the key on the trunk if the switch fails
the filler door opens from a different, non-electric cable driven release
Old 12-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Custom User Title...

Originally Posted by jamier2

I didn't get to it this weekend like I planned, and I'm really thinking about just putting a custom button on the dash. My only fear is that I'll accidentally pop the trunk doing 80 when I reach to turn on the cruise control.

i don't think the trunk would open...the wind would keep it down.

what kind of switch is needed for this? could i just pick one up at home depot? i've never really installed switches for anything but i imagine it's not too complicated. anyone have tips for that?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:26 PM
Custom User Title...

Hey, thanks for the description. Well, I was gonna use that spot too, but the switch I got off eBay, that is supposed to be the right one, won't fit in that spot. It's too big.

what do you mean it's too big? i finally just got my trunk release button in the mail today but it's too dark for me to play with the car . i have an extra gauge cluster bezel and the button fits in. the only thing i'm worried about is how deep it goes in towards the dash and how to get the wires over there.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:56 AM

jamier2, were there any wires in the back to power the solenoid?
Jae
Old 12-30-2003, 08:39 AM
Custom User Title...

yes there are, they're taped up.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:06 AM

The factory wired ones are wired in conjunction with the neutral safety switch in the trans......button doesnt work unless the car is in Park or Neutral....
Old 12-30-2003, 02:14 PM
Custom User Title...

well i moved the button to the empty slot next to the dimmer switch. i didn't finish wiring because it got dark out and too cold. what i did was i cut the stock wiring that's under the door panel from pretty far back, taped that part up. then removed the plastic shield near the dead pedal area, right below the hood pop. i've located the wires in there, now it's just a matter of splicing them in and hopefully it'll work.

i suppose i really should disconnect the battery for doing things like this. i pull the fuses but don't usually disconnect it.

it's kind of funny because i can do all sorts of car stuff but i've never been really taught how to handle the battery and am semi-afraid, as dumb as that may seem. isn't it a matter of just disconnecting the terminals and not letting them touch in the process? thanks for the newby help.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:06 AM

Jepht,

As long as you just disconnect the negative terminal on your battery you will be fine.

I'd love to see a pic of the switch you're using. I got mine off eBay, and I guess it may be from a different generation Maxima or something, but it is definitely too big to fit where you put yours. I'm glad to hear that it doesn't sound to hard to access the wiring - I'm probably gonna put mine there too, but may have to use a switch from Napa or something like that.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by 69CHARGER_RT
The factory wired ones are wired in conjunction with the neutral safety switch in the trans......button doesnt work unless the car is in Park or Neutral....
I know that it's wired like that on automatic cars, but mine's a 5 speed. If it was just wired to neutral or the clutch, then in theory I could just put the car in neutral and/or push in the clutch (still going 80) and pop the trunk?

Anyone with a 5 speed and the trunk popper care to let me know if you can do this or how it works?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:24 PM

If it's true about the nps in 5sp, that's awesome. I can use that as a "safety" for my future remote start.
Jae