4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to Remove Axle Bearing for Clutch Job?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 07:33 AM

How to Remove Axle Bearing for Clutch Job?

A number of weeks ago, I changed the CV Joint Boots on my 96 Maxima. I found that I could not remove the bearing on the right side, to be able to remove the axle, so I just replaced the boot with the axle still on the car.

Well, I just found out my clutch is going bad and in order to change it this week and I will have to remove the bearing.

I was able to get the 3 bolts out, but the thing WOULD NOT BUDGE, no matter what I tried.

Does anyone have the magic formula for getting it separated?

The only thing that I can think of is to loosen the 3 bolts and try to pound on the heads of the bolts to get it to back out, though it seems there's not enough room to get anything in there to swing or press with.

Any ideas?

Mike
Old 12-22-2003, 08:05 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

I could get that damn bearing seperated from the axle for the life of me. I unbolted the bracket from the block (there are 3 bolts) and removed the axle and bracket as once piece. Worked just fine.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MikeF
A number of weeks ago, I changed the CV Joint Boots on my 96 Maxima. I found that I could not remove the bearing on the right side, to be able to remove the axle, so I just replaced the boot with the axle still on the car.

Well, I just found out my clutch is going bad and in order to change it this week and I will have to remove the bearing.

I was able to get the 3 bolts out, but the thing WOULD NOT BUDGE, no matter what I tried.

Does anyone have the magic formula for getting it separated?

The only thing that I can think of is to loosen the 3 bolts and try to pound on the heads of the bolts to get it to back out, though it seems there's not enough room to get anything in there to swing or press with.

Any ideas?

Mike
I had trouble with this as well when I pulled my engine. I kept prying at the inner cv joint housing that went into the transmission being carefull not to strain the actual joint using a crowbar. I finally got it out by using a rather large pickle fork. I put the two ends of the fork on either side of the cv joint housing and using a hammer and the tansmission housing as a fulcrom point I hit the other end of the pickle fork to pry it loose. You want to be carefull not to put any vertical force on the CV or you will damage the differential bearings inside the transmission case. I didn't worry about the the support bolted to the engine block. I just removed the three bolts, seperated the CV from the wheel hub, and pryed it loose. The axle eventually broke free from the support. You can also remove the support completely. You can borrow a pickle fork from autozone for no charge but you may have trouble finding one big enough as they are meant for ball joints. The one I used wasn't quite big enough to go around the shaft going into the transmission so I put the tips against the housing and was still able to get it loose.

You don't want to pound on the bolts because you may mushroom them or worse damage the threads of the support. I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:35 AM

Got it out. I managed to get the tip of a screwdriver into the crack and then wedged it wider (using a hammer).

I made sure that I put lots of anti-seize after cleaning out the rust.

Mike