4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

identify two ignition coils

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

identify two ignition coils

I have ordered two ignition coils from Pinnacle Nissan Parts. One is left (front) and one is right (rear). When I am looking the front ignition coils in my 99 maxima, they looked very different from the part shape I ordered. The front ignition coils are screwed by a half circle cover and ignition coil looks much smaller than what I ordered. Can anyone help to identify if I am looking a wrong place or I have a wrong order. Thanks advance.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by wwhh296
I have ordered two ignition coils from Pinnacle Nissan Parts. One is left (front) and one is right (rear). When I am looking the front ignition coils in my 99 maxima, they looked very different from the part shape I ordered. The front ignition coils are screwed by a half circle cover and ignition coil looks much smaller than what I ordered. Can anyone help to identify if I am looking a wrong place or I have a wrong order. Thanks advance.
Remove the cosmetic plastic valve cover plate from the front cylinder bank to expose the coil packs and wiring harnesses underneath. Unplug the wiring harness from the top of one of the 3 coil packs you see in front of you.

Next, remove the coil pack from the engine by loosening the two small bolts securing it in place. Pull it directly up from the valvecover to remove the spark-plug boot along with the coilpack.

Hold up the coil pack you just removed from your engine next to the new one you received. What do you see?
Old 12-22-2003, 08:59 PM
BOSS

Originally Posted by KWheelzSB
Remove the cosmetic plastic valve cover plate from the front cylinder bank to expose the coil packs and wiring harnesses underneath. Unplug the wiring harness from the top of one of the 3 coil packs you see in front of you.

Next, remove the coil pack from the engine by loosening the two small bolts securing it in place. Pull it directly up from the valvecover to remove the spark-plug boot along with the coilpack.

Hold up the coil pack you just removed from your engine next to the new one you received. What do you see?
I think you missed the point here KWheelzSB. He specifically states that he knows how his coils on his 99 look, but that the ones he ordered look different. Hence his question is if they will basically still fit and if it's the right part(s).

Anyway, it depends. If you ordered non-OEM Nissan coils, and it looks like you might have, then yes they might look different. I know that the coils that autozone sells for Maximas look different than the OEM Nissan coils, but still fit perfectly right in. So, just because they are of different shape up top does not mean they are not the right coils.

Old 12-22-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by BOSS
I think you missed the point here KWheelzSB. He specifically states that he knows how his coils on his 99 look, but that the ones he ordered look different. Hence his question is if they will basically still fit and if it's the right part(s).

Anyway, it depends. If you ordered non-OEM Nissan coils, and it looks like you might have, then yes they might look different. I know that the coils that autozone sells for Maximas look different than the OEM Nissan coils, but still fit perfectly right in. So, just because they are of different shape up top does not mean they are not the right coils.
No, I got it.

By holding the two side by side, he should be able to determine if:

1) The mounting bolt pattern is the same.
2) The spark plug boot is the same height.
3) The wiring harness plug is the same.

That he was asking at all, led me to believe he had not already tried to observe these details.

Beyond that, I would call a couple independent Nissan parts suppliers to verify the part #'s. With part like a coil, I would stick with OEM or OEM updated replacements. Hanshin and Mitsubishi are the two coil packs endorsed by Nissan for use in the 4th Gen Maxima.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Many thanks for the response. I finally found the front coils that hide under the engine cover.